Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [model] Power Storage
- - By MimmoO Date 2011-05-20 01:13
kinda like the battery newton made once. maybe this find some use somwhere. once it stores power, some lightnings jump from the rod to the rings

318 polygons
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-04-29 13:57
Why not use this as accumulator? I like it. :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-04-29 17:19
By now I am for a more stereotypical battery (yellow with a black lightning symbol f.e.) - I guess that would make the function a lot clearer than anything else and can still be designed in a steampunky way :)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-04-29 17:22
boooring
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-04-29 17:29
tell me one building, other than the pump, whose function is deductible from the looks
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-04-29 17:41
Sawmill?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-04-29 18:02
And is that good or bad?
At least the armory has a shield and swords!
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-04-29 18:05
well… bad, but it should either be "do it right for all" or "make everything look cool rather than easily recognized"
Parent - By Andriel Date 2013-04-29 18:48

>>make everything look cool rather than easily recognized

The former doesn't rule out the latter, and it isn't bad. I think, if it looks cool, who cares about realism? As long as it looks distinctive, you will recognize it. It's not like you are thrown into a landscape with a set of buildings and have to find out what they produce just by looking at the graphics. You build a chemlab for example, you see "oh, ok, it's a hut with a big glass tank", and if you look at it again, you say "yes, that's the chemlab", not "hm, what was this again, a brewing stand?".
Parent - By ker [de] Date 2013-04-29 14:10
how about adding two rods (in style of a Jacob's ladder) on top that start sparking when too much power is trying to be stored?
(note: actual power plants actually have something like that)
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-04-30 13:40
By the way, do you still have this model?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-04-30 22:34
Mimmo hasn't been in this forum for half a year now. If it is not somewhere in the repository, try emailing him instead. (mimmoman bei gmx )
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-05-26 14:16
He didn't respond, so I remodelled it.
The original has this stuff left to the glass, which doesn't look like anything, I placed three lamps, which could indicate the amount of power currently stored. At the right side, below the tube, there's room for this power-socket-like thing windgenerator and elevator have, I don't know if we still want it.
I'm not sure about the basement - the only building with some kind of a base plate is the coal generator, all the other ones have their components standing on the landscape, so maybe remove the basement?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-26 16:53
I like the model, also I think it is okay if it has a basement to stand on. Though, I liked the "details" on the left side of Mimmos original model more. The glass tube will be a problem, perhaps we could replace this with... metal bars? (faradayischer Käfig)

Otherwise, Matthi mentioned that he'd like it better if the battery would stand upright.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-05-26 19:50

>>I liked the "details" on the left side of Mimmos original model more.

Well, it's just intersecting boxes, of course it depends on the texture. Do you plan to have a power display in the texture? Because it does need some sort of power-amount indicator somewhere.

>>The glass tube will be a problem

Why?

>>Otherwise, Matthi mentioned that he'd like it better if the battery would stand upright.

I'll try that out.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-27 00:07

>>The glass tube will be a problem
> Why?

How would you model/texture it that it really looks like glass?
Parent - By Andriel Date 2013-05-27 13:56
A simple transparent glass-like material is easily achievable, see chemlab. Just a transparent texture with some scratches and highlights. I would prefer it with less specularity for the accu, though.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-05-28 12:49
Here is a prototype of the upright version. Crooked for the extra amount of wonkiness! (Can of course also be straight)
The bulbs are there again, but if someone has a better idea how to show the power level, I would be glad to hear it!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-05-28 13:30
Matthi should make a comment on this.

I see one negative point here: If it stands upright, the rings will always appear as stripes. The lying version can be rotated slighty. One cool thing about the vertical version is that there is more space for lightbulbs on the left now to display the amount of power stored (3 lights is too little, perhaps 5). Also, when standing, it more closely resembles the standard icons used for batteries (see this example)

Also, how to animate the lights?
Parent - By Andriel Date 2013-05-28 13:59

>>Also, how to animate the lights?

I would use one material for each state with the active light having a strong, yellow-white-ish colour and then switch materials as only "animation". And additionally have light overlays ingame for the actual effect. There could also be some reflection on the accumulator, painted into the respective textures.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-28 13:50
Mh, what are the rings supposed to be and why are they unable to display the power-level?
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-28 16:01
i think it comes from the comand and conquer red alert tesla coil coil or similar stuff of other games.
Normally a tesla coil has a ring shaped or a spherical electrode
Parent - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-05-28 15:39 Edited 2013-05-28 15:50
I do not like the glass-tube-idea. Glass allways seems to be fragile but not very protecting. I would prefer the metal bar idea, coming from Newton. Or simply combine both: a metal frame with glass "windows".

Besides that i like the upright version more than the horizontal one. But the ringproblem, which newton already mentioned, is really a bit bothersome. What is about replace them with a thing like an elastic spring like this example
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-06-02 12:15
I made some tests:
Metal cage looks too confusing imo, the accumulator is not that big and you won't be able to identify anything when zoomed out.

>>I see one negative point here: If it stands upright, the rings will always appear as stripes. The lying version can be rotated slighty.
>>What is about replace them with a thing like an elastic spring

Spiral looks ok, could be improved further, but I like the next one better:
Shift the tori around a bit so you recognize them. In the attached picture I rotated them so that they have approx. the same angle to the camera as the rotated lying version.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-02 15:17
I like the last one the most!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 16:33
The last one looks a bit like it is about to fall apart, I don't really like it to be honest. But the other possibility to tilt the whole battery would probably look odd too.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 16:35

>The last one looks a bit like it is about to fall apart, I don't really like it to be honest

Wasn't that a bit what we were going for for the style of all the buildings? :)
I like the last one more than the two others on the left
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 17:09 Edited 2013-06-02 17:12
The direction yes, but clunky stuff doesn't need to (look like it would) fall apart. I like the first standing model and the lying model the most, even though for the standing model we have the perspective problem. By now, I slightly favour the lying model for that reason.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-02 17:29
I do like the first standing one's cage. Maybe one with a solid metal casing and a glass window would be even better.

PS: I forgot how to upload images from my computer onto the form could someone remind me pleas. :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-06-02 18:06
After posting something, you have an "Attach" link next to "Reply" and "Edit" below your post, you can use that to upload stuff to the forums
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-06-02 18:26
Can't this be changed? It's not the first time this causes confusion.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-06-02 20:55
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-02 18:29
Thanks!! \o/
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-02 18:44
Something like this but wwwaaayyy better.
Attachment: Battery.png (18k)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-02 16:46
I like the last one too I agree with Zapper on the reasons for my diction and once it has "color" it will look better.
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-02 19:59
some comments for these things:

-The cage looks stupid, you're right, nobody will understand what this should be. What I was thinking about was more a "metal" box with several window (J.J. offered already a scetch, but I imagine bigger windows on the each face.
-The glass-thing does not look like a power-whatever. It simply looks like nothing. Maybe try a "edgy" glass thing instead of a "round" cylinder. That could look less modern and a bit more technical.
-What about add some wooden parts? e.g. 4 wood colums with a sloped roof? like most of the other buildings? r maybe a  wooden frame insead of a metal cage. A sloped roof on the top of this box with the lamps could be a nice alternative?
what about adding more crazy power-line-salad everwhere: in the cylinder on the top of the "lamp box", on the side of the "lamp-box"...?

-what about a total new design? Maybe you have a good idea by yourself. nobody forces you to stick on mimmos idea?

Maybe you can have a use of at least one of my comments.
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-02 23:19
Ha Ha maybe this but it looks more like a old TV.
Attachment: Battery2.png (13k)
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-03 16:51
why did you reply to my post? was it a mistake?
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-03 19:33
Sorry I just thought you were referring to me in your other post.

>-The glass-thing does not look like a power-whatever. It simply looks like nothing. Maybe try a "edgy" glass thing instead of a "round" cylinder. That could look less modern and a bit more technical.
>-What about add some wooden parts? e.g. 4 wood colums with a sloped roof? like most of the other buildings? r maybe a  wooden frame insead of a metal cage. A sloped roof on the top of this box with the lamps could be a nice alternative?

>what about adding more crazy power-line-salad everwhere: in the cylinder on the top of the "lamp box", on the side of the "lamp-box"...?

>-what about a total new design? Maybe you have a good idea by yourself. nobody forces you to stick on mimmos idea?

Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-06-10 13:40
I agree with pluto, I also don't like the glass tube, also the perspective problem, and these tori seem a bit vague... So here is a new approach. (obviously inspired by this)
It's only a prototype though, not yet finished, I painted over a bit. The brown things are supposed to be some kind of rubberband or rope, holding that stuff in place. It swims in acid. (As an advanced building, it could also need acid to build)
I could add the big hose from the picture, it could be used to refuel some crazy vehicles, or it could emit steam.
Parent - - By pluto [ch] Date 2013-06-12 19:05
Yeah man, its much better! I still do not like the lampbox. I will try to post a scetch about my ideas of possible improvements and changes.

But now this battery loses its own power by the "bypass"-connection of both electrodes. That does not make sense. Both electrodes should be connected to these mysterious ugly light-box or to whatever.
Besides that, both electrodes are swimming?
Is this "basement" necessary? what about a stand for each of those "glass barrels"? like this: http://www.fotofachversand.at/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Messzylinder_100_4a925bc7e6d48.jpg

But still, great improve. Really!
Parent - - By pluto [de] Date 2013-08-08 18:46
I had some additional ideas:

-instead of lamps some kind of display with a needle (i could be less grabby but more steampunkish elegant like this: https://lh6.ggpht.com/QbQPZrfXfx_GAnu1T89mY0U-bdN4VSI0DASJRho3uIB3TZFqq3sMDBMcLEUJCsPFLw%3Dw170)

-A little wooden cabin/roof structure

-only one tank
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-08-08 19:34
Wow, I like that! :)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-08-08 21:22 Edited 2013-08-08 21:33
Nice. I'd simplify the tip of the arrow actually, to keep the detail scale consistent, but otherwise, I like it. Reminds me to model my new flag pole, I think it'd fit together well...
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2013-08-08 23:01
Which flagpole? You mean the actually implemented one?

Besides that, I dunno if Andriel is still working on the battery, that's why this simple model was originally meant only for showing some ideas.
Anyway, I could work further on this model, of course.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-08-09 06:25
This is quite nice. I like the clamps holding the cables to the battery.

So the battery is still supposed to be a glass container with liquid inside? Cause that is difficult to texture, see chemlab. since there is a display with a needle now, I would like to suggest to drop the idea of the glass container with greenish liquid inside and instead have a solid container resembling a modern-day battery or some steampunky brass thing.
The downside of my idea would be this: The green color is not found in any other buildings so far, so this would be a nice distinct feature for this building, I know Matthias likes that.
Parent - By pluto [de] Date 2013-08-10 22:27
I did not thought about the texturing problems. That might be a problem, yeah.
So whats about some kind of such a 9Volt-Battery-like thing instead of this weird glas thing. I mean there could be a big kind of Danger! Acid! sticker or sign on this thing like these warning symbols known from chemistry (just in this bright greenish color?)

But this green is not unique since the chemlab uses a green liquid filled gigantic bottle. Are there plans to remodel the chemlab as well, because of the glas-texturing-problem? I mean it sure looks a bit like it is not yet finished?!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-08-10 20:27
+1
Parent - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-08-10 22:29
The designs just keep getting better. I like the new meter idea. The model just needs some polishing and I think it will be perfect. :)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-06-12 21:24
Cool! I like it much better. :)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [model] Power Storage