Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Lands of Mystery 1.6.0
- - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-29 13:07 Edited 2017-01-19 21:53
Formely known as "Magic Times", Lands of Mystery is a mod introducing several magic themed maps for you to play on!

Features:
-8 maps
-Spells, potions and various magic items!

Short descriptions of the maps:
Astral (arena):
-King of the Hill: King is protected by various spirits;
-Randomly generated landscape;
-Fly around the map using Levitation spell and defeat your enemies using standart weapons;

Downfalling Skies(arena):
-Deathmatch
-Randomly generated landscape (two map generation algorithms)
-Fight enemies using a combination of 3 random spells each time you respawn! Adapt or perish!

Kingdoms of the Underground (arena):
-Capture the Flag;
-Each base has 2 chests, one contains weapons and the other contains magical scrolls;
-After some time 3rd chest spawns, that chest contains explosives;
-There's a chest in the middle of the map that has powerful spells and a shovel, however at some point it will get submerged in lava.

Neerazolph's Challenge (race):
-Co-op race;
-Advance through the map by controlling gravity around your Clonk.

Skyrace (race):
-Compete with other players in either Sky Lands or the Caves;
-Randomly generated landscape;
-Using Gravity Bolt players can either launch themselves far away or mess with other players.

Etherna Competition (competition):
-Knock your enemies down using all possible objects and tools.

Lava Pit Brawl (competition):
-Either fill enemy side with lava or knock them down into lava to win.

A Tree (competition):
-3 different map sizes to choose from;
-3 different location to play at;
-Very... very intense gameplay.

Known issues:
-Explosive gas doesn't interact with fire potion anymore.
-Maps with lava might get laggy over time (lava particles tend to stack in the same spot without turning into actual material, I did my best trying to avoid particle stacking on every map that has lava in it)

Please, report all of the bugs you encounter in this thread!

Mod was tested on snapshot downloaded on January 15th!

Current version is 1.6.0. Last update: 19 January 2017.
Changelogs are inside of the .rar file!
Download link

Have Fun!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-08-29 13:35

> -Making mod compatible with snapshot/next version

Now it's compatible with release?
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-29 14:37
Yes. I have noticed that there are some changes in snapshot, I probably will make two versions of mod, one will be compatible with release, another will be compatible with snapshot.
Also I still don't understand why files don't attach :/
Uploading always finish with an error.

Anyway I have updated post and added download link.
Parent - - By Mortimer [de] Date 2013-08-29 14:18
Looking forward to testing that. Will try with snapshot, though :p
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-29 14:34 Edited 2013-08-29 14:37
I have added link in first most. Maybe later, if I will understand how to attach files I will attach them
I know that there will be some problems with IDs. For example: Jar of Winds' ID was changed. Maybe other problems... I haven't actually tried to use snapshot.

I hope you will like it! ;)
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2013-08-29 17:10
Going to start playing it in one hour!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-08-29 20:06
Great to see a first complete object and scenario pack. First some feedback in general, I think the spells are quite interesting and look good with nice effects, also error free. Sometimes it is a bit hard to find out how they behave or what they do, try to improve this somehow, I don't have good suggestions here. The Standard teleport spell should be removed, it sucks, it takes one away from the action rather than towards it, this is making game play less fun.

Then some scenario specific criticism:

Lake Battle: Landscape a bit too large, way to many relaunches, it took us 40 minutes to complete with 7 players, you should rather aim for ten minutes.

Kingdoms CTF: That one is quite good, make the lost weapons and bodies disappear through the rules which you can find in the original content.

Buckets: Did not work, I could not understand what had to be done.

I will test the others some other time, all in all this has potential to be much fun to play, however requires some fine tuning here and there.
Parent - - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-08-29 20:30
Also cooldown presentation of the spells should be improved.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-30 03:17 Edited 2013-08-30 05:23
I know it's too bad. Probably it would be better, if cooldown will be showed the same way like when you reload musket (Have no idea how to do that *lol*)
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2013-08-29 20:58
+1
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-30 03:22
Okay. Today I will try to do something with Lake Battle. First I will fix Kingdoms of the Underground.

BTW, Buckets and Volcano Fight don't work with snapshot because Jar of Winds was renamed to Wind Bag. Also... I think I will improve gameplay of this map, so it will be impossible to survive after your "Bucket" was filled with lava (probably I will use script scenario... Actually I have never worked with that, so probably I will get some problems)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-08-30 08:49
Maybe buckets is more fun if the lava and water bottles come from above and you have to shoot them with the jar of winds, then you need to reduce their falling speed however.

Otherwise I agree with Dragonclonk, first focus on a few scenarios, making them better (you can also add scenery to many of them) and optimizing the spells, and then expand to producing more scenarios.

From experience with Clonk Rage I know that people tend to play only a few scenarios, therefore it's better to have one outstanding one than many mediocre ones.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-08-30 10:54 Edited 2013-08-30 11:25
Hm... It's a good idea for buckets. I like this idea. I will try to do something like that.

I understand that it's much better to make some awesome scenarios and then improve others/these scenarios, but nevertheless I think that I have finished every map (of course I will improve them, try new systems and ideas when I will get them) except Lake Battle and Alchemy. Lake battle is a playground for testing all spells. Alchemy is a map, showing idea of alchemy. Now alchemy system is not perfect, so playing this map may become boring, because every n minutes Clonks have to stop doing anything and start brewing new potions. I have to improve brewing system. Maybe I have to make something like "Potion Bag" where Clonks will be able to place potions. Then, I will probably have to make custom ingredients, because some of ingredients have not only one use (Moss can be planted, Firestone may explode, etc)

Hope to get more feedback, ideas and advices.
Parent - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-08-29 20:35
I like this pack and it can be an enrichment in the OC community. I would suggest to include only 2-3 very designed/balanced and high quality maps instead of ~ 15 ones. Later you can add more. Just get feedback for individual maps and optimize these.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-08-30 21:02 Edited 2013-08-30 21:05
Another point on the Kingdoms CTF (which is my favourite so far):
We had a 4on4 yesterday and it was obvious in this game that the more players you have on one team, the more the gameplay comes down to waiting for the right spells to appear. It takes hardly a minute before the lake is filled up enough to make it unjumpable, so starting from that point on, you'll need to think about getting across. The bridge spell gets increasingly ineffective and after a short time, only levitation, the boost(?) and the fire potion will do the job.
One suggestion was to have the players spawn with the boost spell in addition to the weapon chosen.
You might also try and increase the spawn rate of spells but that's probably something to be tested carefully.

Apart from that, adding some explosives might be fine. So far, the only method to blow up passages is the fireball spell. And while this is perfectly fine for the gate, it's very tedious for the lower way (and the upper? I never overlooked if it really was a way through). We never developed that way of attack and just stuck with blowing up the door - for lack of effective ways to get through all that material. For a neat synergy effect, have the fire potion blow up dynamite / gunpowder barrels and the water potion(?) extinguish those.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-09-01 11:20
So much of good ideas and suggestions

I have updated mod and tried to make Kingdoms of the Underground better.
In order to do that I have changed upper and lower way, added more shovels in middle chest (it's better to be fast if you want to get one of them at the beggining of the round) and made gates harder.

I have updated first post and added new download link
Changelog is inside of package

Thank you for feedback and ideas!
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-01 12:51
On Mediafire, these things are just bound to get lost. Perhaps you want to attach Magic Times! instead to your forum post?

Otherwise, I agree with Dragonclonk.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-09-01 13:36
I tried to attach them and uploading was ended with an error.
Anyway, very soon mappack may become too large for attachments...

What can you suggest instead of Mediafire?

What about Dragonclonk's idea, I agree, it's much better to have 2-3 best maps in pack instead of a lot of not really good scenarios. But probably I won't change the way I work.
It's really bad, but when I started working with mod I have made most of these maps because I had a lot of ideas. But now I don't have any ideas for new maps so if I couldn't make all those scenarios, now I couldn't have a lot of things to work with. (If I have idea for scenario, I should make it, otherwise probably I will lose this idea and I won't ever make it)

Hope my English is understandable *lol*
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-01 14:33
Couldn't you upload it to the CCAN and post the download link here? This way you would even reach a larger audience (Clonk Rage players).
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2013-09-01 17:27
Okay, I was thinking about that when found CCAN first time, but throught that this site isn't for Open Clonk. Lol
Tomorrow I will upload it (maybe later if I would get problems with uploading)
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2014-08-19 05:54
Update! v1.2.1

Now compatible with current version. A lot of balance changes, new spell system and more.
See first post for download link.
Parent - - By Sven2 [at] Date 2014-08-20 18:53
I don't have stable internet so I just solo played sky race for now. I think the scenario has lots of potential and the spells are very easy to use. But the problem was that I could pretty much just walk from left to right and cast bridges along the way. There was no reason to use anything from the chests since it would just slow me down. The push spell gives a small boost, but that was rare to find.

I think it would be a lot more interesting if there were some actual obstacles. E.g. like flying spiked balls that fly towards you and tumble you backwards but could be shot with spells found in the chests.

Maybe it would also help if the cooldown of the bridge were larger so you have to consider what to do.

A minor bug: The bridge spell cooldown counts down to zero, but you can still not cast it again then. You have to wait until the number disappears. I think it would be more intuitive if it counted down to one only (i.e.: 4-3-2-1-[availble] instead of 3-2-1-0-[availble]).

I don't know how good the scenario is in multiplayer so maybe it's fine for that.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-08-22 16:31
I also played this round and ended up with two bridge spells, basically removing the cool down effect.

I agree with your feedback here on this round.

Otherwise very cool to see this pack already in such an advanced state. Keep up the good work!
Parent - - By Zeer [de] Date 2016-06-21 17:58
cool i didn't know about this scenario and it looks pretty good. is this adapted to oc 7/8?

why is the OC community not uploading scenarios on ccan? i think CCAN is used by a lot of CR players. maybe they would get more ready to try some OC scenarios also, if they find more different packs there, and maybe even start to develop for OC.

jonathan
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-06-21 17:59
I think people were waiting for Lorry, a new platform.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-15 18:06
Sorry for replying to such an old post, I didn't check forum in quite a while! However I still wanted to reply to you, because I might eventually motivate myself to update the mod. That being said, unfortunately, some scenarios are not compatible with release/snapshots. I'm considering getting back into supporting this mod!

Speaking of CCAN, unfortunately this site requires some sort of code/ID that you get when you buy CR. I didn't buy CR so I don't have this code/ID or whatever it is. Let me know if things have changed, though!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-01-15 20:55

>Speaking of CCAN, unfortunately this site requires some sort of code/ID that you get when you buy CR. I didn't buy CR so I don't have this code/ID or whatever it is. Let me know if things have changed, though!

I think you can also ask ArneB and he will give you an account
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-19 21:47 Edited 2017-01-20 06:35
1.6.0 update!
Recently I've updated the mod to version 1.5.0 and didn't dump the topic because I still had a lot of things to fix and polish!

Both updates were rather big and introduced some new stuff. Some of the things I want to highlight:

Downfalling Skies is up! Unfortunately there's no spellbook anymore! Concept of spellbook, at least the way I approached it, was a failure. I will be working on a new alternative to the spellbook eventually, but for now player will recieve a random combination of spells each time they respawn. Also, now players can activate spells by pressing 1-5 keys (only on Downfalling skies). If the item in desired slot not a spell or desired slot is empty, keys function normally (exception - Levitation spell, it still has to be controlled with mouse)

Kingdom of the Underground has got updated landscape. Lower and upper paths to each base are now more accessible, middle chest now spawns on a platform, so it's more accessible at early stages of the game - this way, players have to contest this chest to gain advantage of the items in it. Speaking of items in middle chest, contents of that chest were updated!

Neerazolph's Challenge no significant changes to gameplay (unfortunately), because all of the changes on this map were related to it's aesthetics! Now the map should look a lot more advanced and appealing! Also, some tweaks to checkpoint positioning to prevent players from getting accidentally stuck at some points of the map.

Scrolls were reworked. Upside of new scrolls system - it's possible to have both spell and scroll version of same spell, if that makes sense. However, there's a downside of new system - in chests all of the scrolls are stacked, so player has almost no control over what scroll they want to keep or remove.

Lastly, Arcane Rhapsody was removed from the mod. As much as I liked the concept of this map, I had to remove it. However, as a tribute to this map, it's map generation algorithm is kept and can be used in Downfalling Skies! It might return as a separate map at some point in the future, but to be honest, probably not. If anybody wants to mess around with Arcane Rhapsody related items - you can still find them in files!
- - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-02-05 02:01
Update v1.3.0!
New map called Arcane Rhapsody!
Features:
-7 brand new spells with new VFX and SFX.
-2 more spells to change effects of 7 first spells
-New landscape generation algorytm

Having 9 slots filled with spells is a bit too much, so this map might actually seem uplayable. Anyways, it's actually pretty fun map after you get used to controls.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2015-02-05 12:40
Looks really good and I like how the bouncy borders are represented differently in Rhapsody.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-02-08 06:14
Sad thing is that it's quite buggy in multiplayer for now. Only hosts sees them right. I will try to fix it a bit later
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2015-02-05 15:03 Edited 2015-02-05 21:40
With which version does it work? Release 5.1? or the snapshot?

If there are some people around tonight we could play a few rounds.

Edit: we played gravity race, I liked the concept in general, but the gameplay is rather slow and tends to get boring after 3 to 4 checkpoints.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-02-08 06:19
Unfortunately, I couldn't answer earlier

Mod must work with release (5.1), not sure about snapshot

I guess I might try to make gameplay of gravity race a bit better. Anyways it was quite challenging to make such map when I just started the mod, so it wasn't really well made.

Anyway, whole mod needs to be improved so controls are much more friendly to players :D
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2015-02-12 21:36
We got around to playing some of the scenarios finally.

Arcane Rhapsody: We had no feedback on what spells did so we just jumped around and clicked at the enemy while cycling through spells. Gameplay was really weird.
Skyfall: Was cool (even if a bit imbalanced I think), but the controls are ugly. You know you can also define controls to work as a combo system (like magic in Clonk Rage) by defining key sequences for spells in the PlayerControls.txt
Gravirace: Was nice. Some parts took us a while to figure out. But replay value is a bit low. Once you know the map there's no fun playing it again.
Buckets: Again little feedback on what the falling items do. There should be respawn (with some time delay maybe) and we didn't figure out if there was strategy or you would just fling down the falling items. I think it would be cool if you had a way to reflect incoming projectiles or influence how much stuff is falling somehow. Right now, you just run after the spawks and fling them all over (or maybe we didn't figure out how to play it yet ;))

Anyway, thanks for the rounds. It's cool to play some fresh content :-)
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-02-16 08:59
Thanks for the feedback!

Well controls is the only problem for now. Possibly I should try to work a bit on them later, when I'll figure out how to work with PlayerControls.txt
I think from now №1 priority for me are going to be controls. Let's hope I'll succeed somehow :D

Currently Arcane Rhapsody has some problems since it has really weird controls. I guess a bit later I'll make some tips on what different spells do.
Skyfall always had balancing problems :c It's quite hard to balance this map since it always depends on landscape, amount of players and so on. For example before huge update in this mode (1.2) EVERYONE was using vampiric spell because it actually was imbalanced.
I think one of the maps I need to work on is actually Gravirace. I really like this map, it's one of my personal favourites, but I guess I should add some more interesting moments to this scenario (I really think this scenario has huge potential)
Well Buckets is another scenario that I personally like. Most likely I'm going to improve some of bonuses that fall from above sometimes (yep, there are bonuses). Also, possibly I'll work a bit on visual effects on falling items. Like good items will have green glow, while bad will have red one
- - By vagner Date 2015-08-23 16:52
The Spell Book Don't Work.
I had the 6.1 release version.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2015-10-21 06:52 Edited 2017-01-14 19:28
That's odd. Sorry for such late reply, couldn't work on updates last couple of months. Possibly it's the mod itself is outdated so the Spell Book is bugged. Anyway, I'm planning to release a new version in around 2-4 weeks. The update nearly done but still needs a lot of tuning.

Thanks for notifying me though!

UPDATE 21/11: It will take me some extra time to polish mod up and finally publish an update. Compared to any previous updates, this one is pretty huge and mostly finished. As I just said, it needs some polishing. Sadly, but Spell Book is still here, but I feel like I shall work on creating some alternative spell system someday.

UPDATE #2 21/11: In fact I have got into working again and going to fix all the bugs I'll encounter next couple of days. Expect mod being up really soon.

UPDATE #3 15/01/2017: Couple of things went wrong: first, my hard drive was broken so unfortunately I lost all of my unsaved data (I usually create backups, but this time I did not, which sucks a lot). Another thing is that I got pretty demotivated to update mod again. I will take a look into the mod eventually and probably revamp many systems yet another time! (in earlier updates I've revamped a lot of systems and last system was the most successful, yet not perfect, however the worst thing is that after more recent updates to the game I can't go back to what I had and need to completely reimagine the spell system I've had)
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Lands of Mystery 1.6.0