Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Trees and vegatation
- - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-03 17:20
I will randomly post concepts for all kind of vegetation in here. Maybe someone gets inspired to do something with it or at some time I will get around to model any of these...

Fist sketches to get warm with trees:

First more detailed color versions of a common spruce:

Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-03 20:03
Awesome! Maybe VI and VII need a bit more detailed information.

Can anybody explain how to do variation on models proper? Every variant = one model file? Is Ogre (~OgreC4DExporter) capable to interpret C4D-Joints?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-09-03 20:08

>Can anybody explain how to do variation on models proper?

If the variations are possible using bones, it would be done via actions. If not, one model per file would be the right choice imo.

>Is Ogre (~OgreC4DExporter) capable to interpret C4D-Joints?

I have no idea whether anyone ever testing exporting C4D to OC
Parent - - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-09-03 20:17

>Is Ogre (~OgreC4DExporter) capable to interpret C4D-Joints?

This is not working correctly at the moment. The plugin developer is fixing this problem.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-04 15:24

>The plugin developer is fixing this problem.

Any release date?
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2013-09-04 15:35
No. I can "mal nachhaken".
- - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-04 11:06
More trees.
Attachment: numberedTrees.png - trees (957k)
Parent - - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-04 13:37 Edited 2013-09-04 13:39
Wow, that looks awesome (as well, Fungiforms sketches are also cool)! Makes me think about background decoration consisting of huge trees for deep-forest-scenarios in the background, too large to hack down (and/or slightly parallax).

For trees as a resource, keep in mind that it should to look comprehensible hacking the tree down. A trunk that is as thick as a house is probably not suitable (22). I don't think we will or should stick to the "hack tree -> a few pieces of small wood items come out" workflow in the long term, it looks very weird.
You know, I am a friend of Clonkonaut's heavy resources concept: If you hack down a tree, long logs could come out there which you have to carry to the next sawmill (carry-heavy). This would also remove the annoying task of shoving the tree around the landscape. But then, the logs should more or less look like the trunk they come from.
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-04 14:09
I think here the primary concern is not usability of the sketches. It's more of a brainstorming. I got loads of new ideas from the new sketches

The workflow would be:
1. get as many ideas as possible
2. think of categories that need content (fit trees, tropical,...)
3. choose from ideas, develop for categories

I like the idea of the heavy resources! Didn't know that existed. Some nice options would be available. Like lumber camps to store the logs or lumber wagons/vehicles for transport (see my chassis/waggon concept)
Parent - By Newton [vn] Date 2013-09-04 14:55
Do you know the concept (now)? Otherwise, here is a recent rehaul of the concept and here a blog post about when it was implemented first. Lorries, chests etc. are able to contain heavy items.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-08 20:56
I'm not too sure about the colors in the context of the game though. Or colors in general. ;)

Attachment: tree11.png (676k)
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2013-09-08 20:59
The graphic team needs to set up a OC paintchat session! :)
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-08 21:12 Edited 2013-09-08 21:18
OC like in open canvas? I'd love that!

http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/

Any experience how to set it up?
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-09 16:32
And much more freetime :(
- - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-05 19:51
Another batch of colored tree concepts. These would be for mountain ridges and sparse vegetation.

I also made a concept of the different climate zones that could occur and that could use vegetation. This is more to carry the mood and give an impression of the different color palettes.

Parent - By J. J. [us] Date 2013-09-05 20:12
I love all the concept art. I like your climate transitions too. Keep up the good work!
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-05 21:19
Deserts have weird fauna.
Attachment: desert_vegetation.png (654k)
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-05 21:21
In this case no fauna at all...

You mean flora is weird? Cool pictures! Is that actual research done?
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-05 21:32
I did mean flora. But I remain right in both cases.
Most of this is some simplified form of actual plants I found on google images. Looking at them now, I think a few of them need to be further simplified and stylized to make an impression. I think some Cactii could acutally be script-generated. (1) and (3) is really just one part, added over and over again at different angles.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-07 00:26
I watched some desert documentary. It clearly had trees and stuff. I sketched those out.
Attachment: desert_vegetation_2.png (570k)
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-08 18:33
Small drawing I did after #14. Still wip though..

I thought it was funny that the leaves look like an insect of some kind. Desert hates you... and flora is fauna :)

Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-08 18:47
Trypophobia ahead! (don't google it, seriously)
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-08 19:09
Why did you say don't google?!? It is obvious that everyone WILL google it... I for sure can't sleep tonight...
For everyone else: DON'T google!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-09-08 18:53
I have some experimental flora lying around - among that the infamous fire weed which prefers to grow in sulforic caves and spreads by attaching pollen to unknowing Clonks. This looks fitting - except maybe for the green parts ;)
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-08 19:59
Do you have pictures of that? Would be nice to have it here. Maybe someone could even post pictures of the plants that are already in game so we have an vegetation overview.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-09-08 20:50
Does that here count as a "picture"?:

I hereby license the file fireweed.png under the CC-BY license
Attachment: fireweed.png - the Fire Weed! (15k)
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-08 20:57
Yes it does.
Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2013-09-29 16:21
Here are some thougts caming into my mind while watching your sketches:

It also would be nice to have a ton of vegetation to use in caves, old castles or ruins, crazy diamondshrooms for miningadventures and other extraordinary vegetation in vulcanos or sea and deepseastuff.
Clonk is a crazy mix of steampunk, adventure, fantasy, settlement and melee, jump n run and basefight and we also could use this in the vegetation for the game.
There could be healthy and also dangerous plants, vines to climb, thorns where u can fall in, we can create slimy ground makes u fall easy and giant trees to build houses on.

I would like to have trees a little bigger in general. (not like in the other versions of clonk were createt before, maybe like the "bigtrees" in the M&M-Adventure) That creates the feeling to be in a very big and unexplored world. It also would give us the chance to create funny (boss)monsters or animals. Actually the Clonk himselv settles the world like a human would, but make the world around the clonk a little bigger, also vegetation, animals, mountains, caves and everything would create a ton of new ways to play and feel into the world of Clonk.
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-29 16:35
Additions very much appreciated.
I'm glad to see the drawings spark some new ideas.
Parent - By Shadow [de] Date 2013-09-29 18:58
I startet to create a concept for flora and fauna (with my personal thoughts about the Clonk Planet) into the german part of the forum and postet first thoughts a minute before. Tomorrow I will continue with it. When it's done me or someone else into the forum will also translate it in english.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Trees and vegatation