Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Brainstorm] Flag/Thingy
- - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-12 19:55
So let's start with the very first? object you encounter in every scenario:

Rumors said a flag is dumb and misplaced (at least the current design(?)). So we need an object which is inconspicuous and fits perfectly in almost every landscape. Keep in mind it may be placed multiple times! My suggestion is something like a Meilenstein/Grenzstein. If the object spreads energy all over the place it may contain some sort of battery/bulb/antenna?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-09-12 20:53
Since this is brainstorm, I just want to bring it up without need for discussion: The Flagpole could actually evolve from something very basic (camp, milestone, etc) to something more impressive (tower with antennas or wires or lookout platforms or whatnot) based on the buildings associated with it. Cables/Antennas would indicate that theres some energy buildings, a wooden plattform if there's a sawmill, stone walls for elevators, fancy banner for armory..
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-09-12 21:20
Idea granted!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-09-12 21:27
Discuss!
Parent - By Dragonclonk Date 2013-09-13 06:10
I like this idea but I'd suggest to design this building (like all others) not extreme unique looking if there's more than one building of this type. If we do so, I think rotating this building randomly would archieve some alternation. In return, if this structure is cylindrical it would provide random rotations.
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-13 13:45
Also or even first it should be discussed what exactly is the function of the building. It seems right now this is not entirely clear.
Is it the centre of the settlement, is it energy distribution? Can you buy/sell there? How many will you have of these and why?
This would have a big influence on the design.
Parent - - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-13 13:54
Another idea I had was to free the flag building from its energy function. The concept is not really intuitive after all.
Instead the energy connection could be done from inside of an energy producing building. You grab it and select the building you want to connect. Depending on the distance resources are taken from the building.
... but this is not exactly an art related discussion.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-09-13 14:35

>The concept is not really intuitive after all.

Yep, I agree. But for what I understand, it is supposed to take away the task of the gamer to connect every building to a power source manually, because it's repetetive and with a lot of buildings it can get quickly confusing wich building is connected to what.

The fact that the energy is floating through the air is not something that's self explainatory, even if there's a lightbulb or a tesla coil or whatever on your building.

Maybe every power consumer could have it's own connection radius, and if it's in reach of a building that has power, it just draws a line between the two buildings automatically to indicate it is connected.

So the flag would just be the there for selling/buying and to indicate the ownership of the area... Hmm, maybe it could look like a little stronghold or fortress? After all it is a base and should be hard to take over. That could be funny in base melees, if you manage to conquer the fortress you get ownership of all the buildings in it's radius.
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-13 16:00
The radius idea is good. so if you build a village with all buildings close its no problem. only remote buildings need to be connected by some extender or just build a new energy building which would be also ok.

Flag could evolve into something like the kontor in the old Anno series. That was just a camp at first but later it was a real building.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-09-24 16:58
So, will there be any sketches soon, based on the 'current' discussion results?
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-24 18:21
Yes, there will!
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-09-13 23:46
The flag does have the distinctive function of being your central building. The first effect it has is to set up your area of control. This area does grant you the power to control your buildings and exclude your enemies from using them. Buildings inside the same area are connected and free to exchange energy.
Thus, flags do set up your energy network as a side effect of setting up your area of control but it's no compelling conclusion that the flags distribute the energy. You can show this effect via graphics but you're free to not do so and stress on the 'control' part.

As for the trading (second effect), there have been discussions about limiting this ability to a small amount of flags or even one per player, so you can't just set up a flag in your mine and skip material transport. So yes, this could be a costly upgrade which then triggers a graphical change.

Any further details should then be discussed in an open part of the forum.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2013-09-14 10:26
Based on this information: let there be skeches(?)
Parent - By Fungiform Date 2013-09-14 12:23
I'm not at home this weekend...
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Brainstorm] Flag/Thingy