Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / New sound effects
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-01 22:26
I recently noticed how quiet the whole game is, so I decided to add some more sound effects. Currently, all changes are in my repository but thus also free for everybody to check out.

I added some creaking, cranking, rumbling and so on to whatever object I deemed fit. Right now I got:

- Creaking (wood, metal) for Wind Generator, Wind Mill
- Chem Lab producing (bubbling)
- Steam engine working (*chuff, chuff*)
- Lorry: rustling when turning wheels and bumps when hitting ground with fast speed
- A very squeaky pumpjack sound for the pump

All of these are meant to be subtle i.e. are very quiet and can (or should) if necessary get more subtle by using the iCustomFallOffDistance parameter of Sound().

This thread shall serve two purposes:
1. Getting opinions on the effects already added by me
2. Getting ideas for additional sound effect you think are missing in the game.

I am also not satisfied with the loudness of the elevator sounds as well as with the sawmill (what has been mentioned in the forum once). I plan do replace the sawmill sound and turn down the volume of the elevator sound.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-11-01 23:28
I recently made Pshshsh1 and Pshshshsh2 from http://www.freesound.org/people/qubodup/sounds/194635/, but I haven't gotten to adding them (They're missing for lava/water-interactions.) If you want to integrate them, feel free to.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-02 03:43
If you put it in the main repos, you'll get much more feedback from all those who download the snapshots.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-02 11:08
Sure, I can do that. I wasn't so sure about simply pushing new features that may not be liked without getting some positive comments first.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2013-11-02 11:07
Very cool, just tested them ingame and they are quite good (the pumpjack might be a bit to squeaky, though). It really adds atmosphere!

Maybe you should squash some commits together, where you introduce a sound and then one commit later use it (those could be together).

Otherwise please continue with adding sounds!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-02 11:11
Ah :) yeah, squashing will be done! As for the pumpjack, I'll go and pitch it down.
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2013-11-02 15:03
Your sounds sound good.

>2. Getting ideas for additional sound effect you think are missing in the game.

A selection sound for the moment when you get the control of the Clonks back is missing. For example when the intro of "Crash landing" ends or after scripted scenes in adventures (not dialoges where you can move and control the Clonk). It was often used in the Western and Fantasy adventures I think.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-11-02 15:09
Wow, we have no Sound("Ding") yet? We should really add that.
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-02 11:31
What just came to my mind:
I thought about having menu opening sounds for the buildings like what is probably known from strategy games when clicking on your buildings (hammer smashing in the forge / crowd talking in the market place). I keep asking myself if OC is a game for that.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2013-11-02 11:46
I never really liked those long "activity"-sounds when clicking on a building. I don't think they add much to the game and quickly become annoying when you click around menus often. Another con: Every player-created building would have to have such a sound which is unique to not break the expectations of the player ("When I successfully open a building menu, I hear the unique activity sound of that building."). So in my opinion, what's more important is that Hud Interactions (menus, buttons confirmation clicks etc) have a simple, consistent acoustic feedback ("Ding", "Click", "Swoosh"...) which does not get annoying when heard often.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-02 12:46

> what's more important is that Hud Interactions (menus, buttons confirmation clicks etc) have a simple, consistent acoustic feedback ("Ding", "Click", "Swoosh"...) which does not get annoying when heard often.

Right, some feedback would truly be nice. Somehow, the production menus work with a slight delay, so I'm not always sure whether my click came through.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-11-02 13:07
Yes, for example when you want to make 10 iron and you cklick the icon ten times very fast it only recognizes 5 clicks and makes 5 iron :(
Do the new (asynchronous?) menues solve this problem?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-11-02 14:21
Probably(tm)
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-28 15:16
Stuff has now been pushed to origin/master. I haven't found a nice confirm sound for menus yet. The click (Click.wav/.ogg) we have for the main menu isn't appropriate imho. Too...aggressive?

By the way, why do we still have some .wav files? Weren't these supposed to be replaced by .ogg?
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-28 15:35
We do? I thought I converted them all. Perhaps in the meantime new sounds have been added... or, I misremember and the only thing I did was to change single-point soundeffects to mono.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-28 15:50
Quite a few, pretty old ones, too. So I guess you did the monorising!

/e

But I guess that's a "We don't want .wav anymore!"
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-28 17:47
Especially for the big sounds, converting them to ogg will save quite a bit. Just tested it for Splash1.wav (353KB, zipped 266KB). OGG quality 5 converts to 33KB.

Altogether, we could save up to 3MB in installer size currently.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-28 19:59
Is 5 the quality we're heading for? Anyone having expertise on quality vs. size in ogg?
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-29 04:48
I don't know, q5 was the default in foobar. q3 seems to be the oggenc default (if -q is not specified).
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2013-11-29 16:11
It's just that for the sounds I introduced into the game, I always used the Audacity Standard that's 9 or so. But I don't have any insight in how big the loss of quality might be.
Parent - By Newton [th] Date 2013-11-29 17:12
5 is considered transparent
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / New sound effects