Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Title Music and Game Music
- - By LoaStaub [de] Date 2014-01-06 01:44
Hey Guys, i am new here, i am Alex, 19 Years old and living in Germany.
I hope I am posting this new Topic in the right Forum.

I am able to do some music. So I ask you, what do you need?
Music like Clonk Planet-Rage ? or something New?
.mp3 .wav .midi ?

One little Problem, I am not able to do many things "at once" because I am making my Abitur. In Germany it's like College Graduation.
So tell me what you need, i want to help. I will try to take all your opinions and do some MEGA Music and maybe some sounds for the Game. :D

PS: I hope I found the right Subforum for this Topic.
Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2014-01-06 02:13 Edited 2014-01-06 14:50
Hey Loa,

check this threads I searched for you, may u will got a feeling for the music some of the Open Clonk developers like for the game. It  also would be nice to got some input wich kind of music you personaly would like the most for the game.

music track workshop

first music test by myself

K-Pones soundtrack

2 soundeffects by K-Pone

Music by Nandel

musicstyle in OC

And a lot of more threads, you can find them easy by using the searchfunction in the topheader.
Enjoy!
Parent - - By LoaStaub [de] Date 2014-01-06 11:07
I see something about Jazz and Rythm, that could be hard :) but i will try it. Something about RapBeats and Dubstep? With Rapbeats I mean something like these:

These Beats are more like Gangster Rap Beats. I would do other genres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7HWmrdaaRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSmhBB2S-U
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-01-06 18:49
I doubt that would fit at all
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-03-10 15:20
Oh dear, it has been quite a long time since my last visit (3 years ago?). When I hear my submissions from then today, it makes me thinking 'that was your work?'. Anyway, seems like I could try to make some new songs for OpenClonk since I improved my music making skills over the years. Also I've got a bit better equipment available now than I had 3 years ago. Anyway, it's nice to see this project still being very active.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-03-10 17:11
Yeah, new music \o/
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-01-06 18:07
Well, time to post some music I'd like to hear in OC. Generally I guess some folk music would be cool (Like in the official OC trailer). Here's some tracks I've collected on soundcloud:

Stormdans by Ceili Moss (CC BY 3.0)
Tutskovin & Glenside polkas by Ceili Moss (CC BY 3.0)
Morrison's Jig / Drowsy Maggie by Stuart McLean (CC BY 3.0)
aEDoNISM by Ceili Moss (CC BY 3.0)
Mist Covered Mountain, Ten Penny Bit, The Dusty Windowsill by JonnyEve (CC BY 3.0)
Morrison's Jig, The Swallowtail Jig, The Irish Washerwoman by The Ragamuffins Folkgroup (CC BY 3.0)
Speed The Plough, Fisher's Hornpipe, Boys Of Malin by The Ragamuffins Folkgroup (CC BY 3.0)
Sawmill 2 by leo shore (CC BY 3.0)

Some practice session  by Jonne Eve (No CC BY :<)
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-01-08 19:09
I like that style too. Very well chosen Pyrit. I think that style would fit well with openclonk.
Parent - - By Plejadenwolf [de] Date 2014-01-11 17:56 Edited 2014-01-11 18:51
These are some nice tracks but I think that they contain too much folk elements, there are less changing high and deep tones in comparison to the typical Clonk music. I also think there should be some more mystical/mythical (a term I will use more often in future posts) songs which really transport some enthralling atmosphere, something epic, something which transports emotions where you think: Wow, it's Clonk but in a much "deeper" way. It's very hard to describe music in it's formal ways but I think the music of WaseemFarazButt (especially Follow Me) or the scenario "Blütenstaub" gives a good impression of what I mean even if it isn't in any way similar to the typical Clonk music. I mean that atmosphere and music are combined in an incredibly synthesis and Blütenstaub is one of the greatest atmospheric scenarios I've seen in a long time for Clonk (and I don't even play Melees but Singleplayer).
A good example of more typical Clonk music could be Sörens older works like "Ruf der Wipfe", "Sturm auf den Bayernwald" (I don't mean tracks like "Alte Kameraden Marsch" but more the tracks in the Map folder!) and "Rise of Clonk". I think there are some good tracks in it.

I think the typical Clonk music is cool in it's own way but the major problem was that there were only a few tracks and after a while you just can't hear it anymore. Another problem is that they have to fit with multiple types of scenarios: jungle, arctic, skylands, volcanoes etc. In the past the solution was that the original music didn't reflect the landscape but more the Clonks and their behavior but that's just my own interpretation. In comparison the Hazard music was more of a synthesis between fast action and futuristic technology (whatever that means emotionally).

I think some more diversification would be good but it's important to not exaggerate the style and to maintain some kind of connection between the tracks, give it an overall style. For example the four tracks Sloping Off, Rocking Horse, Pizza Strings and Frontend are different but they maintain some typical elements.

I hope this was helpful in any way even if I may overinterpret some things. Can't wait to hear some first tracks.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-01-26 21:04 Edited 2014-01-26 21:07
Hey Plejadenwolf sorry it took me so long to reply (I have not been to the forum in a while).
I tried listening to WaseemFarazButt ,but I could not; the page loaded ,but the song would not load (I probably don't have the correct plug-ins).
In what way do you mean "deeper" do you mean sadder more dramatic more distortion or what?

I personally would prefer less repetitive music that is folky. We could have some dramatic music as well like the "Age of Empires II" theme song (the dramatic sound and feel is what I like about it). The piano, violin (fiddle), and piccolo are very pure sounding instruments so I suggest more music with those instruments in them ,but the guitar and banjo (and some others) are also excellent.

I personally enjoy more upbeat folky music that has a pure sound ;Distortion just ruins music, in my opinion, it sounds like a bug buzzing in my ear so I am not fond of distortion.
Most classical, folk, country, and jazz music takes by far more skill and sounds by far better than most other music, in my opinion.
I am not fond of excessive repetition ether.
I like consistent, but varying lyrics.

I also hope that this was helpful and thank you Plejadenwolf for your input. :)
- - By LoaStaub [de] Date 2014-01-11 19:13
I bought FL Studio 11 and started with producing 2 Songs. If I am finished, I will post this Song. Don't we own the rights for the music from Clonk Rage etc?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2014-01-11 19:32

>Don't we own the rights for the music from Clonk Rage etc?

no
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Title Music and Game Music