Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / How can I embed my own composed music to my own game?
- - By Nandelus [il] Date 2014-05-12 23:02 Edited 2014-05-12 23:12
Since OpenClonk doesn't have a lot of music, I'd like to embed my own music to it. what kind of file format playback does it support?
can this be done at all? clonk is obviously able to play sounds effects on cue, is there a built in engine support for loop ogg(or any kind of file format) playback?
if this can be done. Need I compile the source code to do it? is there any documentation to how this can be done?
I mean to use a track I composed in ableton live with some kontakt plugins (if anyone here does this kind of composition)
if there's an issue of copyright infringement in the case of the use of samples that are not in the public domain,
there's quite a few software synthesizers and samples that could be used. And I don't mind writing rewriting it.
this is what I thought of using:
https://soundcloud.com/netanel-margalit/sketchy
This would of course be for my own personal use. I don't mind releasing this under the creative commons though.

edit:
I notice a lot of cool tracks people have made on the forum but what I mean by this is how do you implement all the different tracks people have made here?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2014-05-12 23:29
Very relaxing music, I like it :-)

To use it in OpenClonk: Just create a folder called Music.ocg in your Clonk folder and put the music files (in .ogg format) there.
Parent - - By Anonymous [il] Date 2014-05-13 01:07
Thanks for the fast reply!
I found a music.ocg file in my clonk folder, but I wasn't able to open it with 7-ZIP, windows doesn't see it as a folder. (running win 7)
I created a music.ocg folder and put the file there but it doesn't seem like the game uses it..
What am I missing?

Btw, it would be very cool if anyone here would like to collab on some midi files and make some music.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2014-05-13 07:44
You can open it with c4group.exe (under Windows) which should be shipped with the release. I think the commands
  cd openclonk/
  c4group.exe Music.ocg -u
should do it.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-05-13 09:01

>Btw, it would be very cool if anyone here would like to collab on some midi files and make some music.

Sure :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-05-13 09:24
You can delete the existing Music.ocg (I think it's empty) and create a new folder. In the game, you will probably have to turn in music (on the option menu or by pressing F2? ingame). That should do the trick.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-05-13 09:00 Edited 2014-05-13 09:24
Jazz, that's rather cool. I tried to loose my jazz sound so far (all tracks non swing) but I guess you can still hear it. I'm writing one track per week currently, but for the moment I gave up production (ProTools and Kontakt for me) and work entirely in Sibelius. There are some more tracks in the German clonk forum, where I'm blogging.

>if there's an issue of copyright infringement in the case of the use of samples that are not in the public domain,

>there's quite a few software synthesizers and samples that could be used.

That's a general problem. I also don't own any licenses for plugins, so publishing music from non-free plugins is a bit risky. But actually that is rather common if you are not a professional (what else should you do, you usually don't have several thousand bugs). I heard from senior students, that they just bought their libraries after the release from the following paychecks. Well, but since this is a free project that's not on.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-05-13 09:14 Edited 2014-05-13 09:25
Talking music:

I like it, so far I'm actually preferring the "Finally Sketch 2", the calmness fits well, could work well as a track played at night-time.

In the sketchy version, I think the beginning is perhaps a bit too much (also the long notes with midi instruments are always tricky in terms of sound). Beeing subtle suits the track just fine. The sound starting at 2:00 is rather nice. Are those clarinet and muted trumpet ;)? That's just nice, in general I like the all the clarinet parts. Is there a chorus on the roads in the sketchy version? I actually prefer the more cleaner sound from the "Sketch 2" version.
- - By Anonymous [il] Date 2014-05-13 16:27
Thanks Maikel and Clonknaut, I'm really glad I know how to use the cmd hahaha.
This works well for ingame music, I think I'll make my own little playlist now..
Any chance to work this magic on the title screen too? this seems to work only for gameplay.

Hey ala, I'm glad to meet a fellow composer!
The wind instruments you heard were indeed clarinet + muted trumpet + tenor sax,
nice job recognizing the rhodes lol. usually no one knows what that is.
I wouldn't call this jazz though, even though it has a swing feel and all the chords utilize jazz harmony (lots of 9's 11's and 13's)
I'm trying to avoid this sound though because in the last couple of years it has gotten dull! hahaha.

The issue with public domain\open source synth's and samplers is that there aren't any really..
It seems a bit odd to me that no one releases at least kontakt instruments as public domain, this makes it very difficult for composing for a gpl\gnu game.
What are the choices here? I suppose music can be written with one open source synth like synth1, but even after investing hours upon hours on preseting, you'd never get to the sheer quality of kontakt-level samples,
or commercial grade soft-synths.

Anyway, I'd be happy to swap some midi files with you and maybe make some music. Is there a way to contact you?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2014-05-13 16:36
No problem, You need to give one music file the name "Frontend.*" can be ogg, or mid I guess.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2014-05-13 16:43
But only the one named Frontend will get played in the menu.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2014-05-13 18:23

>Thanks Maikel and Clonknaut, I'm really glad I know how to use the cmd hahaha.

Why is Music.ocg packed in the first place? Anyways, for people who don't know how to cmd, here's an alternative:
https://clonkspot.org/blog/2012/08/02/moremusic-txt-oder-mehr-musik-in-clonk/

Unfortunately the article is in german, but it basically says you can create a MoreMusic.txt file in your clonk directory and write the path to any music folder on your computer into it and the game will look in that folder for ogg and midi files. Haven't tested it myself, though.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2014-05-13 18:24
That is for Clonk Rage. Does this still work in OpenClonk?

If you want to play music from external sources, why not just run a music player in the background?
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2014-05-14 09:43

>The issue with public domain\open source synth's and samplers is that there aren't any really..

>It seems a bit odd to me that no one releases at least kontakt instruments as public domain, this makes it very difficult for composing for a gpl\gnu game.

>What are the choices here? I suppose music can be written with one open source synth like synth1, but even after investing hours upon hours on preseting, you'd never get to the sheer quality of kontakt-level samples, or commercial grade soft-synths.

Yes, that's why I'm not really focusing on production (well, that and that my production level is not really high).

I bought some microphones the other day. I probably can record some instruments later this year, at least Guitar, Flute, Percussion, maybe Bassoon and Bass. But the real problem will be strings. As for licenses, it looks pretty bad there, the libraries are far too expensive.

As an alternative: I thought maybe compose everything first and try to get a producer to volunteer. Actually this is the most likely try, hence I'm focusing on composing currently.

>Anyway, I'd be happy to swap some midi files with you and maybe make some music. Is there a way to contact you?

Private message in the forum here should work quite well, I'll send you one. I'll also add my email to the PN.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / How can I embed my own composed music to my own game?