Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Urban Bolero (formerly the unnamed orchestral song)
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-04-03 18:22
Well, some inspiration by the pizzicato strings from Maurice Ravel's 'Bolero' and a bit of my own creativity, and this is what came out so far. It definitely needs to be filled up with some melodies. And I need to find out which instruments would fit it best.

I hereby license the file BoleroWIP.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file BoleroWIPv2.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file BoleroWIPv3.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file UrbanBolero.ogg under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file UrbanBolero.mmpz under the CC-BY license
Attachment: BoleroWIP.ogg - Bolreo inspired Song (Work in Progress) Version 1 (1465k)
Attachment: BoleroWIPv2.ogg - Bolero inspired yet unnamed Song (Work in Progress) Version 2 (1536k)
Attachment: BoleroWIPv3.ogg - Bolero inspired yet unnamed Song (Work in Progress) Version 3 (with Ambience tags) (3209k)
Attachment: UrbanBolero.ogg - Urban Bolero (Frontend) Final version (3982k)
Attachment: UrbanBolero.mmpz - Urban Bolero (Frontend) Project File (10k)
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2014-04-03 21:23
.. Panflutes, maybe? :V
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-04-03 23:40
You mean the M1 Le Panflute? Hmm, not sure. Isn't it quite enough songs so far using it?
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2014-04-05 21:49
Sounds like menu music!
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-04-05 21:53
Should I make it a frontend song?
Parent - - By Nachtfalter Date 2014-04-05 21:59
Reminds me already of that Kevin McLeod Song which was used for the Kerbal Space Program Menue Music. :-)
Its a calm atmosphere at the beginning, maybe tune the drums a bit down und keep going with the strings, don't make it too busy.
Parent - - By B_E [de] Date 2014-04-07 22:21
Indeed, it immediately reminded me of this song as well.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2014-04-08 13:27
lol, I neither know the game nor it's music, but the beginning has some touch of my song. Anyway, I think my idea is still different enough not to be called a rip-off.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2014-04-06 00:17
It is still a work in progress, but keep up the good work. ;)

You have an interesting base and rhythm, although you could add a guitar like instrument in there or maybe something more unique (maybe bottle blows sound).
- - By K-Pone Date 2015-10-31 01:45
Oh dear, it has been so long since I actually worked on that tune. Just found the project file in my LMMS projects folder and immediately got some ideas. I'll post a new version as soon as I'm satisfied with it so far.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-10-31 14:12
Nice to hear :) - actually your music fits rather well to the upper ground thematic Sven implemented some weeks ago, already played with it.

A side question: Are you into sounddesign too? If you are or you are willing to experiment and get into it I'd like to recruite you for the Milestone team. I'm also working on sounds there, you can listen to the sounds I created so far. But the project demands a a lot more. Openclonk could get a very rich sound atmosphere which I would consider a massive bonus for the game.
Parent - - By K-Pone Date 2015-11-01 02:38
Well, I've been playing around a bit with Audacity and LMMS and also created some sounds, but I haven't really made some serious sound effects yet. If you want me to I could try to make some sounds.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2015-11-01 11:54
Yes :) - deeply appreciated. Also started by trying around not too long ago.
I added you to the intern Milestone board on clonkspot. You'll also need a dropbox account, and an account on trello (www.trello.com - great organisation platform).
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2015-11-03 23:23
Just sent you the account data via PM
- - By K-Pone Date 2015-11-01 02:01
So, there's a new version now. Somehow I feel like it could fit to the main menu (frontend) or the network lobby. And somehow I imagine the clonks building a small village when I listen to this.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-11-01 06:26
Sounds very cool! Can you add an ogg tag "frontend" to the comment (plus any ambience tags for when the song is to be played, e.g. "COMMENT=frontend;day") and push it?
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2015-11-03 00:12
With push you mean uploading to the repository, right? If so, might you show how I can do that?

>plus any ambience tags for when the song is to be played, e.g. "COMMENT=frontend;day"

Is there a list of all available "ambiences"?
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2015-11-03 02:48
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2015-11-03 18:14
Nice, I like it :-)
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2015-11-03 23:05
Just uploaded another WIP version.

@Sven2: are the ambience tags applied correctly?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2015-11-03 23:23 Edited 2015-11-03 23:28
The fanfares (1:44ff) make the song kinda sound "cheap" in my opinion. I think it might be more in the playful spirit of the song to have instead an instrument in the build-up of the song that is more... "fart-y", like, a tuba? Worth a try?

Also, what is this instrument at 2:17?

Edit: Oh well, it's not that bad at all on second listening. But still... more tubas?? :-D
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2015-11-03 23:30
That's an "Orchestra Hit" at 2:17. I think I'll replace it by another orchestra hit when And to be honest, at 1:32 there's already a Tuba in there ;) I think it just don't sound that "fart-y". Thanks for the feedback.
- - By K-Pone [de] Date 2015-12-12 16:29
Just released the final version for pushing into to repository.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2015-12-12 21:08
Sounds awesome! Very "clonky"! :D
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Music] Urban Bolero (formerly the unnamed orchestral song)