Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Melee: Hot Shots!
- - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-02 19:37 Edited 2016-01-04 16:54
A small turn-based melee scenario that is similar to a well known game franchise: You have 10 seconds to choose a crew member, then 20 seconds to move and perform an attack action (currently: throw a flint with varying strength - hold "Use" to charge the strength). The round is won once you eliminated all enemy crew members.

You can configure the amount of crew members.

This is an early testing version, hence it is not available on CCAN yet. Needs 2 players minimum and a current snapshot, although it might work with a 6.1 build as well.

Questions:
- Is there any way to redraw the landscape with map scripts at runtime? Possibly with scenario sections? I am asking because I want to restart the game without closing the scenario and I have to restore the landscape for that. Also I want to allow for different landscapes without adding more scenarios in the future, I would implement this via scenario parameters or my game configuration menu, but I want to change those in a later round (without the scenario restarting).
- If I want to use scenario parameters in a local game, can I just start a network game so that I get a lobby screen, then play the scenario just for myself?

Update:
- improved map: caves are more or less connected to the surface now
- changed handling: players can select weapons / items from the contents menu now
- weapons: firestone, dynamite, powder keg, boom pack, lantern, sword, grappler, shovel
- damage: clonks take damage if they end their turn in water or on fire, but do not drown or burn in real time
Attachment: LibraryArenaGames.ocd (186k)
Attachment: HotShots.ocs (41k)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-02 20:44
I had a short look in editor mode. Sometimes you spawn in a cave and must bomb yourself out for the rest of the round. With only a firestone the round might be a bit boring.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-03 17:44
Yes, I want to add more weapons (dynamite, shotgun, ...) and tools (shovel, grappler, ...) in the future. First I wanted to get a playable version out, then I read that you should not upload unfinished stuff here...

Anyway, I want to redraw the landscape at runtime, and it is quite confusing that DrawMap works with the Landscape.txt format only, and not with proplists as used in Map.c, since the latter seem more convenient than writing a map string into a function.

My goal was writing one scenario that "hosts" the game. This runs in several rounds with turns for each player. After each round the players can decide for a new landscape (or restore the old landscape that was destroyed in that round) without having to reload the game. There would be options for liquids (water, acid, lava), terrain type, and overall mood.
Several of these options could be handled via scenario parameters, but you set these parameters once for the whole scenario, so you would have to start a new scenario every time in a network game, which means more load times.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-03 17:54

> Anyway, I want to redraw the landscape at runtime, and it is quite confusing that DrawMap works with the Landscape.txt format only, and not with proplists as used in Map.c, since the latter seem more convenient than writing a map string into a function.

I agree, maybe a feature request in the bugtracker. I want to get rid of Landscape.txt actually.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-01-03 19:37

>shotgun

I always found it a bad move to give the arrow the exploding and fire arrows since this heavily outbalanced the use value of a bow against the musket or bomb throwerv (even though the latter being "more advanced" and should be more expensive to produce). Perhaps the musket could get (exploding) shotgun munition?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-03 21:21
Counter explosions with more explosions!!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-01-03 21:46

>  Is there any way to redraw the landscape with map scripts at runtime? Possibly with scenario sections?

That should be possible using sections.

> If I want to use scenario parameters in a local game, can I just start a network game so that I get a lobby screen, then play the scenario just for myself?

You don't need to go through the network dialog, scenarios parameters can be selected from the regular start game menu.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-03 22:55
I tested online and it was very buggy, we had two rounds which ended at some point because the selection broke.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-03 23:00
Can you elaborate how this exactly looked like and what where the circumstances when it occurred? I noticed a bug once where the selection created two firestones in my inventory. I could reproduce it when eliminating some players, but I could not reproduce it later anymore.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-01-03 23:03
Not really much. We did a few turns, one clonk died and then all of a sudden I got my turn but could neither select players nor do something.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-04 16:55
A small update:
- improved map: caves are more or less connected to the surface now
- changed handling: players can select weapons / items from the contents menu now
- weapons: firestone, dynamite, powder keg, boom pack, lantern, sword, grappler, shovel
- damage: clonks take damage if they end their turn in water or on fire, but do not drown or burn in real time

I hope that the turn selection bug that Maikel reported has been fixed, I could not reproduce it and I changed the handling of turn selection a little bit.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-04 22:10
Worked for 15 minutes, then this:

[22:09:19] ERROR: script: Called when active player is 2, but only 1 is allowed..
[22:09:19]  by: Object(12)->GetActivePlayer() (HotShots.ocs/System.ocg/Mod_TurnManager.c:20)
[22:09:19]  by: Object(8)->DisplayMessage(0,10) (HotShots.ocs/Objects.ocd/Interface.ocd/SelectionCountdown.ocd/Script.c:13)
[22:09:19]  by: Object(8)->FxIntCountdownTimer(Object(8),{Name = "IntCountdown", counter = 10, counter_set = true},1872) (HotShots.ocs/Objects.ocd/Library.ocd/Countdown.ocd/Script.c:71)

Also if you pick up a mushroom you can't get some item using [E] anymore.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-04 22:21
Yes, this one is annoying. Do you know how it appeared? It seems that a player got eliminated, but players should not get eliminated at all, because they have one crew member in a dummy object (although that one is kicked out of the crew for the duration of the actual game).
Also, I implemented that error on purpose, because I'd rather see an error than have the scenario in some kind of strange state. It could work with a fallback though, if I cannot fix that error.

Can you give any feedback on the gameplay? I have noone to play with, so I have no idea how it actually plays out - at the moment I am just throwing stuff at a dummy player. I imagine that the other player's turns are less boring now, because you can see a bit of what they do. Also, you have more variety and the possibility to build traps with powder keg and lantern for example.

Any weapons that you are missing? The bow does not seem too useful at the moment (so I did not include it), but it has the advantage of not destroying the landscape. I thought about changing the weapon description for this scenario, so that the usefulness of certain items becomes more clear to the player, also the sword is more powerful than in the standard game, because you can hit only once.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2016-01-05 23:07
There was no player eliminated.

You should come to IRC in the evenings from time to time to find someone to play with. I can't give much feedback yet, apart from the fact that the selection interface seemed a bit slow. I would add more weapons, maybe the cannon or place one in the landscape.

You could use GUI_Clock->CreateCountdown(int total_time, int for_plr, object callback_obj) for a nicer countdown maybe?
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2016-01-05 23:22
Between the end of the round and the next selection phase there is a 2 second countdown that is not displayed. This starts for example when a flint explodes and a clonk is hurt, so that you can see the results of your action. I'll try to find a better solution for this. I did not know about the GUI_Clock, thanks!
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2016-12-07 14:47
Is anyone up for testing a christmas version of this? I have a lot of time to work on this (in fact: to work on anything, so if you want something else, make suggestions :p) from next Monday until Christmas. The minimum requirement is that you can provide feedback after a maximum of two days. I want to create a small but playable scenario. Also, I'll try to release an update of Shîre.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-12-07 16:22

>Is anyone up for testing a christmas version of this?

Yeah, sure. Why not.
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Melee: Hot Shots!