Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Brainstorming: Ambience tags for music
- - By Newton [de] Date 2016-01-23 15:22
Right now we have quite a few music tracks for the ambient tags we already have. In detail...:

frontend: 1
night: 6
day: 10
underground: 5
underwater: 3

I'd say of the tags we have, underwater is the one you hear least often, underground the one you hear the most (for most settlement rounds).

I'd like this thread to be a brainstorm thread of what situations in the game could also use some fitting music.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-01-23 15:25
Melee/combat situations: bombastic if there are AI enemies nearby, fast-paced when player enemies are nearby.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-01-23 15:38
I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't have own ideas. So let me start with this:

Situational

melee/batttle - This is one tag that is obviously missing - some dramatic music when things get tough. This could be determined by whether hostile players are near(-ish)
parkour - We already got some music that is quite fitting. I.e. Motorway, Island Dreams and Skylands.

Biomes

Thinking about other common "biomes" in OpenClonk. Now this obviously deserves much less song coverage, for the uncommon ones perhaps zero to one song is enough.

Common

* skylands - though many/most music with the day/night tag is already fitting. Perhaps some songs of the existing music can additionally get this tag.
* settlement - player-built structures are around. Some existing music is fitting/made for that.

Uncommon

* lava - lava/acid or other dangerous material is near. "Magma Gold Mine" could get this tag
* snow - snow and ice landscapes
* tropical - sand, water (palm trees and sea creatures?) are near
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2016-01-23 21:01
Scenarios can overload the InitializeAmbience callback to create their own ambience settings. For example, they can set a fixed music playlist.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-01-23 20:46 Edited 2016-01-23 21:26
Sky (Traveling) and winter (Finding Shelter) and lava (Magma Gold Mine) were intended tags - but didn't materialize so far.

I'd say more underground music would be a good start for expanding - I agree that it is the most used area and the 5 tracks in use are probably not enough. I also like the idea of the music changing with the incoming winter season. That sounds quite cool.

Another thing the ambient system was build for are sounds. I made (or edited) quite a number of ambience sounds that were mentioned on the sound request list: Cicadas, Birds, wolf howlings, sea waves, waterdrops, rain and lava bubbles are low hanging fruit, ambience sounds that only need implementation.. ;)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2016-01-23 21:17

>Another thing the ambient system was build for are sounds. I made (or edited) quite a number of ambience sounds that were mentioned on the sound request list: Cicadas, Birds, wolf howlings, sea waves, waterdrops, rain and lava bubbles are low hanging ambience sounds that only need implementation.. ;)

Mh right, this is even a better idea than having special music for special (=rare) situations/biomes
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-12 19:14
Oh, and could someone please finally include all those ambient sounds?
I spent some weeks in recording/editing and searching them a year ago, seems like such a waste of time now :(
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-13 00:17
I might as well add some of my recordings I made as soon as I edited them properly.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-02-13 13:09
Will these be for melee/battle? We are really missing melee, especially extensions like Knueppeln currently don't have fitting music at all.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-13 23:46
It's mostly random stuff I recorded from time to time. One thing I made recently (and uploaded) was the doorlock (DoorlockOpen) which is in the dropbox folder right now. The rest still needs some time for me to look through all the recordings.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2017-02-13 15:24
I'm sorry. I did implement random sounds coming from the ambience object, but didn't have any sounds to test it. Is there a comprehensive list / where are all the sounds?
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-13 15:48 Edited 2017-02-13 18:40
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-02-13 17:34
Which card? I only see General/Guides/Discussion/Graphics/Script/Tests
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-13 18:40
Ah, sorry. Fixed the link.
Parent - By Sven2 Date 2017-02-14 14:36
Thanks! Will go through this when I'm done with the AI editor features.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-03-21 13:12

>Is there a comprehensive list / where are all the sounds?

Found another list that might come in handy:.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-02-27 10:42
New track.
Technically I didn't write it for OC, but it can be used and should fit into the underground setting. I have one more somewhat close to getting finished, they can both go into 7.1
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-12 19:07 Edited 2017-02-12 19:10
As promised I started working on the Soundtrack extension. I started yesterday, and mainly did work on installing my programs and going through past music.

There are 3 tracks which I wrote during the last 1.5 years that, although originally not intended for Clonk, fit into the underground-exploration category. They are a bit darker in color than the overall pretty light hearted OC Soundtrack. I'll append them, they are finished and can be included into the next version.

2 more tracks are half-finished and will follow later this month, more on that next Sunday. As stated before, if people motivate me there is the potential to write more, I'm on vacation.
Attachment: ColdUndeadMine.ogg (4842k)
Attachment: TracingintotheUnknown.ogg (3528k)
Attachment: WanderingWishes.ogg (3676k)
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-19 14:43
I was mainly sick this week, and although I experimented with some scales from Asia, they didn't quite fit into the other tracks, so little progress has been made on the OC music. But let me use this blog-like post to show some work in progress:

This is another deep dark cavern track which is consistent in style with the other compositions posted. It is approximately 40% finished, I wrote it in June. I'll have to do some polishing and compose the second half to the track, that is intended to sound a little more peaceful. Work in progress.
Attachment: SilentEchoesv10.ogg (4499k)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-26 10:14
Moin,

eine weitere unvollendete Komposition für den nächsten OC Soundtrack. Diese ist nicht im dürsten Stil, sondern im alten OC Stil gehalten, so wie der Haupt-Soundtrack. Er ist auch aus dieser Zeit, wurde aber nie vollendet, und soll dann in diesem Projekt auch seinen Abschluss finden. Work in Progress.

Oops, I wrote in German.

---

Hey,

another unfinished composition for the next soundtrack. This one is not in a dark style like the others, but in the more peaceful style of the main soundtrack. It was written during the time I worked on the main soundtrack, but didn't make it into it, so I hope I can finish it this time and giving it a place. Work in Progress.

Hope I can find time to actually write something new this week :D
Attachment: TrackingTracesv10.ogg (4011k)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-02-26 16:03
cool :)
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2017-02-27 16:24
Beginning sounds a bit disorganized. Like the musicians are trying out their instruments first. After that it gets pretty catchy!

Btw we still don't have more action-like music. Maybe we can just speed up our current pieces to achieve that? (like in osu!)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-27 18:47
Well, one is still in the pipeline for me. Just hadn't any good ideas to complete this yet. Having the option to change Music speed/pitch would be a nice option though.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-27 21:24
You want to speed up ambient music... :O??!!

>Btw we still don't have more action-like music.

For now I will only finish the ambient parts, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to write something more upbeat and funky sometime in the future.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-02-27 23:42

> You want to speed up ambient music... :O??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdaZnQQAPqQ#t=36s
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-02-28 08:00
No, ambient music! For starters, most of my tracks don't have any percussion or drums, or if so only periodically.

And apart from sounding awful, speeding up music has the connotation of making the game more Japanese.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2017-02-28 22:57
My fingers hurt just from watching it.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2017-03-02 19:00
Hm, I guess I actually like how the piece… "assembles itself" in the beginning. But I think there would be no shame in sticking to the first theme a bit longer. Right now, the transition is somewhat surprising…
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-03-06 09:44
Seeing the stream yesterday, I wrote some dungeon-ish music for a dead project (can be used for OC) about a year ago. So if we want to have a temple/castle/dungeon tag, I would have some music ready for that.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-03-06 15:53
Cool! Which reminds me: We should add ambience settings to the editor. So you can set a fixed mood for the scenario and there can be triggers to switch the music once you enter the temple, etc.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-03-12 12:03 Edited 2017-03-12 12:07
Ok, I made a package, so you guys have some temple music :). It has around 15 minutes in total. Like stated, most of it is from older non Clonk projects, I actually didn't write something new yet ^^, my hands are in bad shape :( - will definitely finish the 2 tracks posted above though.

I tagged the dungeon/temple music as "dungeon", one track could use both underground and dungeon tag. Was that possible? I forgot. I tagged it as underground; dungeon.

Hope someone implements some temple trigger soon, would be awesome to hear in game :)

[Edit] Upload to big for the form, so I put it into dropbox.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34602860/OC%20Soundtrack%20-%20Treasure%20Hunt.zip
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-03-12 14:35
I will definitely use this for the tower of despair! Once I understand the ambient sound system.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-03-12 15:46
cool!
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-02-07 12:17

> underground the one you hear the most (for most settlement rounds).

So with the music update I tagged all 7 new tracks as 'underground', and also K-Pone wrote 'Cavern' so now we have like 13 Underground tracks.
But actually only around 4 of my new tracks were actually written with the underground theme in mind. The tracks 'Villa' and 'Eerie Skulking' are more like dungeon-ish tracks, which were also were requested at some point, 'Presentiment' is as well - but it actually may fit underground. So for now they are with the underground music, but in the long run I intend to move them out again, and maybe use them exclusively for like dungeon-ish, temple like contend - which we don't have at the moment, but was common in CR.

So how to continue for 9.0? I'll aim at 5 tracks again.
Newton was the only one giving some Feedback in this thread, I don't remember if there is some feedback somewhere else, hm maybe on clonkspot? Well now would be the time to influence the further development.

I probably can't easily create any fight music, and I would continue on the ambient path.
'Snow/Ice', 'Lava' and 'Sky Islands' were mentioned. Which one to prioritize? Any other requests?

As we get more tracks, we can start fine tuning: Which music to play where, and maybe increase categories and also the ambient script.

Another thing to discuss would be the 'breaks' of silence the ambient script adds between music sometimes. This is was an idea with a rather big impact, how are opinions on that?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-02-07 14:58
I have to admit, I usually play with music turned off (but this isn't specific to OC, I do that with many games or at least turn it down to a volume that it's barely audible anymore. But I just did a testgame in Treasure Hunt with music turned on.

First of all, none of the tracks struck me as bad or in any way obtrusive. All were nice and calm. Of course, in the few action-packed moments, too calm. But in a fast-paced game like Clonk, you don't expect every little detail to be reflected by the music. So, all in all, very cool.

The ambience change in music is fine, for the most part. You could hear the smooth changes in music whenever you change from sky to tunnel background. It's also nice that tracks don't start over when returning. However, sometimes I just had the feeling that the music 'broke'. There were quite a few moments when I changed from the underground to aboveground or vice versa and the music just stopped. So one track faded out, nothing faded in. Maybe it was just at the end of the in-fading track, so no actual music came. Anyway, this was always a disappointing moment. I noticed the change in background, I expected a change in music, anticipated it, you could say, and then..fade to silence. Meh. I also got the weird feeling that the music almost always ended with such a sudden stop. It felt like I never really heard the end of a track. I just skimmed through a few tracks afterwards to check. I couldn't say if I heard the endings or not.
Also, just sometimes, when quickly changing back and forth against backgrounds (which happened once or twice when I was mining stuff and carrying it to the surface), the music changed very quickly. There was a noticeable disharmony there. But maybe it is fine to have this in a few situations. As I said, most of the time it was absolutely fine.
As to the breaks or intermissions. Yeah, those are most noticeable whenever the music suddenly kick-started back in. At that point you realised the absence of music before. And a few times in between, whenever the pause was a bit too long, I just asked myself where the music is.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-02-14 17:43
Thanks.

>However, sometimes I just had the feeling that the music 'broke'. There were quite a few moments when I changed from the underground to aboveground or vice versa and the music just stopped. So one track faded out, nothing faded in. Maybe it was just at the end of the in-fading track, so no actual music came. Anyway, this was always a disappointing moment. I noticed the change in background, I expected a change in music, anticipated it, you could say, and then..fade to silence.

This is actually a feature. We intended to add some random silence in between (by script) to prevent the music from getting repetitive. That being said, I don't like it either and always press F3 to start a new track when silence kicks in. So I'm also in favor of removing that break.

>Also, just sometimes, when quickly changing back and forth against backgrounds (which happened once or twice when I was mining stuff and carrying it to the surface), the music changed very quickly. There was a noticeable disharmony there.

Yes for example in Bristle Ridge where you have a continues change between sky and tunnel, the music doesn't work very well. I wonder if we could add something to the trigger system to handle that, but I have no suggestion.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-02-14 18:14
Another weird thing is happing in the new Hot Ice. When the theme switches to "Miami Ice", the music changes instantly with no fading, when switching to the other ones Crushed Ice Cocktail fades out and another music is fading in.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2018-02-14 20:55
I did that instant switch on purpose. The fade-in on the other themes is from Ambience.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Brainstorming: Ambience tags for music