Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Question from a two day old noob...
- - By Mavericksghost [gb] Date 2016-04-10 10:48
I have just started playing Openclonk on Ubuntu and I've got to say it is just my sort of game. I loved Settlers and had it right up to the version 4, I particularly liked the evil guy who wanted to get rid of everything green and growing. But all that aside impressions on Openclonk WOW! I love it! The complexity and the puzzle solving, the manufacturing is awesome though can be a bit irksome when the mineral deposits are at one end and your foundry is at the other end of the map, plus to then dig out a deposit of say Gold and then find you can't get the nuggets back to the surface because you've dug too deep for the clonk to be able to jump high enough is a pain, but nothing that a handy basement section can't sort out. An utterly wonderful and massively enjoyable experience, I could lose just whole days trying to work out more efficient ways to do just one scenario.

However, flattery aside, I do have a serious question, I installed Openclock from the standard Wily (15.10) repository so I've got v6.1. I've downloaded v7.0 but there aren't any instructions regarding upgrading. I tried moving the 6.1 files out and replacing them with the 7.0 files and the game does nothing, totally blank screen, I move the 6.1 back in and it all works again thankfully. Now it could be a permissions issue but any guidance or help for installing 7.0 over a 6.1 install would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally are there any scenarios that enable something like "freeplay" i.e. all the tech is turned on, no set objective like cast 20 bars of iron and take over 100% of the available map (Worlds - Iron mountain) Just so I can see how everything interacts? I had a go at the flooded city world map and managed to build a pump and get it working, to hear it chugging away and watch the water recede is really cool. I shall certainly be downloading the editor so I can create content of my own, maybe I'll even create my own freeplay.

Awesome game!!! Awesome!

Mavericksghost
Parent - By Maikel Date 2016-04-10 11:45
Thanks for the feedback.

Installing on Ubuntu: you just extract the folder from the release download somewhere on your machine and open a terminal and run with ./openclonk (if you want it as a desktop application, google for .desktop and do some more steps). Actually this way you can also get the development version of the game.

There is a small playground map in the Tutorials folder which allows you to get access to all objects ingame, it might spoil the game a bit though. Just press I in that round to open a menu to spawn objects.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-04-10 17:04
Heyo! Happy to hear that you like the game :)

>Additionally are there any scenarios that enable something like "freeplay"

You can usually click on "Continue this round" in the evaluation dialogue after you fulfilled the goal. That prevents the game from being over.

Other than that, enabling all knowledge for a round is pretty easy.
You can even do that after having started the round! For that you just have to enable debug mode (CTRL + F5) and then enter
/script GivePlayerAllKnowledge(0) where the 0 is your player number (try increasing it if it doesn't work - you can also check the correct number with /script GetPlayerName(0))

PS: I am not 100% sure about the rules for when the debug mode is disallowed. It's not possible in league games and when you are a client in a network game at least.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-04-10 17:32
Thanks for the feedback :)

Maikel already said how installing on Ubuntu should work. However, I do hope that you don't have an Intel Graphics chip. We lost some support there. Updating your graphics driver might also be something you must do.
Parent - - By Anonymous [gb] Date 2016-04-13 16:12
Ah...I do have an intel graphics as I'm running my Ubuntu, more correctly Lubuntu, on an old USFF Dell Optiplex 745 that my former workplace got rid of. Everything seems to work fine and the LXDE desktop environment is lighter on memory use. The game does slow down at times when there's a lot on screen but it's not unplayable. I've done the tutorials and a couple of the missions and a couple of the worlds. Like I said I love the game and could lose whole days playing it because I love the strategy and problem solving. For an example look at the Mine Rescue, get power to a mine lift on the other side of the map when you can't build windmills or steam engines. I stretched basement across the whole bottom of the screen and placed flags...must have gone through an entire lorry load or even two of rocks!
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-04-13 17:03
You can try installing a newer driver then (if available). But if it's anything like Intel Graphics HD 2000 or 3000 (or worse), OC 7.0 will probably not run on that device.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Question from a two day old noob...