Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Clonk Techtree Tool and future settlement discussion
- - By ala [de] Date 2016-07-27 15:44 Edited 2016-07-27 16:16
Well its basically like that: The settlement aspects of the game have been developed steadily and with 'Carry Heavy' and the cable cars coming, so is change. But already with the recent change in agriculture I noticed that it has been getting difficult to keep track of the whole game. Hence I wanted to create a tech tree.

I found a very nice Software called yED Graph Editor which is free and supports Windows, Mac and Linux. So it should be perfect for our intentions.

I made a basic tech tree for Clonk and I will attach the editor file along with a screenshot. Its probably not complete and can be enhanced by everybody.

Finally I want to create productive discussions about what we can restructure, simplify and enhance. It is an open secret that currently all Clonk productions don't need much materials. With the cable cars and other improvements in transportation coming I have been wondering what we could do with all the resources that you are supposed to mine up.

So lets start planning :)
Attachment: ClonkTechtree.graphml (134k)
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2016-07-27 17:00
yED is pretty awesome, I used in a lot in school. How about integrating a tech tree in the game at some point?
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-07-27 18:21
How would you integrate a tree like this? Typically, tech trees are about research, which we currently don't have.
Parent - - By Mupf Date 2016-07-27 20:41
I'm not sure. Maybe like AoE II, just a button and it pops up? Maybe that way, confusion with new players can be minimized. (Where is the windmill, last round I built one with the hammer, I'm sure!)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2016-07-27 22:28
Ah, yes, giving the hammer menu more structure is probably a good idea. I guess we wouldn't want to actually require building stuff in a certain order, though.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-07-31 22:09
A non dynamic techtree would not include any third party objects or even scenario-local stuff.
(a dynamic techtree would probably become very confusing with lots of entries)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-07-29 21:51 Edited 2016-07-29 21:53
Ok, so here is a suggestion: Let us put more focus on the Inventory Lab. I think we can easily give the player a lot of cool and powerful/creative items similar to the teleglove. But they should have high resource cost and should be difficult to achieve. I'm thinking of gem consumption, and maybe also high energy consumption.

I would make it research based, once you know how it is down - you can create multiple say grappling hooks, but achieving this item initially should be made difficult. To the current list of grappling hook, windbag and teleglove I would add the grenade launcher (since it is quite powerful), and maybe fire and x-arrows. This way the whole research process gets some emphasize in melees as well.

Finally, we can think of items/devices/machines that take the place of some of CRs powerful "magic" - stuff that could change: Wind direction, gravity, walking under water, vision (flashlight), invisibility or the thing for the walk on liquid spell from CR. This elements and powers can be very desirable by the player and we currently lack these creative possibilities.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2016-07-30 01:48

> vision (flashlight)

The teleglove works pretty nicely as a flashlight right now.

People were complaining that it's unintended (which it is). But actually I think it's a really cool feature. With the limited inventory, it's unlikely that people will waste a slot just for a flashlight (similar to how noone uses torches). But because the teleglove has a secondary use, it's actually worth carrying. I like these "extra uses" (similar to e.g. the ace that can be used as a weak weapon) of items more than I would like additional items.

We could still have a flashlight spell of course. For example, it could be a huge spell that zooms out a bit and removes fog from the whole screen for a short time. Or it could be a permanent light, attached to the clonk, with a large range that reveals everything on screen. Or a set of fireflies that surround the caster for a while, revealing the area.
Parent - By Mupf Date 2016-07-30 13:04

>People were complaining that it's unintended (which it is). But actually I think it's a really cool feature.

So do I think! But the blob of light should have some subtle spark effect (like the one when you pick something up with it, but weaker?), because right now it feels as unintended as it is. And maybe, the range should not be infinite. (Is it, even?)
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Clonk Techtree Tool and future settlement discussion