Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Discussion: Any ideas to reach the Screenshot folder easier?
- - By ala [de] Date 2016-03-18 22:25 Edited 2016-03-19 11:21
Heyo,

There has been one discussion in the milestone which didn't produce a productive follow up, and no clear improvement could be thought of.

The "problem" is that new users of Openclonk don't know of the whereabouts of the location of the screenshot (records, log, player) folder, nor do they know that the quicklink "Benutzerpfad" will lead to it.

I'm absolutely fine with appdata, once you get to know it - the problem is that a lot of users did not know of it at the start, and as such the location was considered not newbiefriendly in the previous milestone discussions.

Now some suggested that instead of appdata, the files should be stored somewhere into "Eigene Dateien / My Documents" - but in my book that would be equally unclear.
Others suggested that you store everything in the clonk folder - bad idea either, I think a general folder makes a lot of sense with all those Clonk versions around (Snapshot, stable, if you are a developer also repository) - and would otherwise lead to a lot of copying around and confusion.
Now in the last discussion I brought up a button in the main menu leading to the data folder, but thats also bad since that would force Clonk to loose focus in fullscreen - that will probably annoy the users.

So as it stands we didn't come up with a solution. The only thing I could think of is postponing this discussion and feature a link or button in developer mode once we have established an editor like windmill (or another one, you never know).

Any ideas where to place hints to reach the folder easier?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2016-03-18 22:29
Just have a button somewhere (e.g. in the options menu) that opens the folder in Explorer?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2016-03-19 11:12
No, we should really just stop dumping EVERYTHING into a hidden folder and use the correct ones for stuff we create (in this case FOLDERID_Screenshots on Win8+, FOLDERID_Pictures on other Windows, no idea where to store stuff on Linux or Darwin)
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-03-20 01:08

>no idea where to store stuff on Linux or Darwin

At least in the /home/user directory I would say. How different are the folders between distros/versions(/languages)?
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2016-03-21 12:10
Well we're already storing stuff in $HOME on Linux - standard users have no permissions to write anywhere else, after all - but I was wondering if there was some kind of de-facto standard where other games store their screenshots.
Parent - By Mupf Date 2016-03-19 02:50
Right now, when you press F9, there is a message at the bottom telling you the screenshot has been saved as Screenshots\Screenshot001.png or something like that.
Why not just include the complete path or at least \AppData\Roaming\OpenClonk\Screenshots ?
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2016-10-06 19:59 Edited 2016-10-06 20:04
Why is the user path folder in AppData and not in the Documents folder? The AppData folder is usually hidden, so new users might have problems to find it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2016-10-07 06:05
Because that conforms with the Microsoft policy of where to store data. Or doesn't it?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-10-07 10:02
Yeah, it does. Microsoft wants it that way. Microsoft also wants the folder to be hidden.

Putting all garbage in Documents is not a very nice thing to do.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2016-10-07 10:44
What about Documemts/My Games?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-10-07 11:26
As far as I know, that's not really an official folder. "Saved Games" (since Vista) is though, but I don't if that still exists.
Parent - - By K-Pone Date 2016-10-08 02:09
It does, but no games except the Windows games are actually using it. (At least I don't know any game that does)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-10-08 14:02
Oh, yeah, it does. Diablo II and DOOM apparently use it!
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2016-10-10 19:23

> Or doesn't it?

It doesn't. I've written up a list of which stuff goes where somewhere, but I think people wanted everything in one place so we never implemented it.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Discussion: Any ideas to reach the Screenshot folder easier?