Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Knüppeln! 0.8
1 2 3 Previous Next
- - By KKenny Date 2016-08-28 10:18 Edited 2016-08-28 10:27
Update to 0.8

Now Knüppeln should work with the latest snapshot.

Since I've stopped developing for OC I included all my unfinished stuff in this release.

What's new?

* Animals that aren't completly useless
* Bat Man
* Unfinished (but still playable) domination game mode
* Unfinished HookRace2
* Unfinished Combo System (Available as scenario parameter in each arena)
* HookRace Reverse from K-Pone
Parent - - By K-Pone Date 2016-08-28 14:20

>Since I've stopped developing for OC

Will you continue developing for OC one day? We'll be missing your "Tripple-A"-Content...
Parent - By KKenny Date 2016-08-28 17:48
Since I've already stopped playing clonk a few times I'll probably come back some day.

And thanks for appreciating!
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-11-29 19:18
I've been experimenting around a bit with some of the Knüppeln maps and components. Updated the interface a little bit.

I hereby license the file Screenshot231.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-12-01 21:10
And another short HUD update, with some graphics taken from OpenGameArt

I hereby license the file Screenshot233.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By KKenny Date 2016-12-01 21:38
This looks really good! Maybe we can play a round next week, I'd like to see it in action.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-12-02 21:22
Cool, would be nice to see you back
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2016-12-23 20:23

Now we have Bots and a new HUD.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-18 18:45
I like this mod, I believe it could be a nice addition to the game as an official mod if that's possible!

Also, could you share the link to latest version of the mod that you have made? (or at least tell me where I should look for it because I couldn't find it anywhere) I want show this mod to our small Russian community of Clonk fans, I think they'd like to give it a try!
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-18 22:10
As soon as I have replacements for all the copyrighted stuff that needs to be replaced, I could publish an update for it. But there have some things to be done first.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-19 06:50
Then I'll be waiting!

If you want, I could actually make some icons for spells. That would be a nice practice for me and would possibly speed up mod's update release. (just in case, I want to clarify that most of the icons in my mod are like 4 years old, so I'm sure I could do better than that)
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-19 14:27
Spell Icons would be nice. Feel free to make as many of them as you want. As of now, Electroman, Fireman, Ninjaman, and Iceman have complete spell icon sets yet. Earthman's E (the wall) is missing, Bombman just got the E (bombs explode) so far, Flashman got one for the R (Superlazor). The rest is still without any icons except the ones for the F and SPACE icons, which are the same for every champ.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-19 21:58
I'll start working in next couple of days and when I'm done, should I post all of the pictures in this thread or somewhere else?

Also, do I need to make icons in some specific size or proportions?
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-19 22:20
Yes, posting them here would be nice. Spell Icons are 128x128 px. I could scale down everything that is too large.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-20 09:45 Edited 2017-01-20 11:43
I did one set of icons for Ballsman's spells so I'd like to hear your thoughts. To me it's feels like Ballsman was inspired by Orianna from League of Legends, so I decided to go for similar icons to Orianna's. Let me know what you like about these icons and what you don't like, just so I have better idea of how I should approach painting other champs icons.

Few questions that I have:
Is it okay to have somewhat painterly style for icons?
Is it okay that I decided to pretty much mimic Orianna's icons? (icons I have painted were done from scratch and I've used Orianna's icons as references/inspiration)
Also, I think I've picked wrong colors for Ballsman Q, it won't be very hard for me to adjust the colors to either match color scheme of other icons or ingame sfx, however I felt like if I'd use red/orange colors for this icon, it'd suggest that the spell is offensive.

Last thing, I won't constantly spam icons in this topic and next time I'll post icons I will most likely post all of the finished icons at once. Right now I just want to make sure I have right direction
Attachment: icons.jpg (121k)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-20 14:09
They look pretty cool. I think we can use them.

>Is it okay to have somewhat painterly style for icons?

Yes. The icons I've used so far are painterly icons as well. So this would fit them perfectly I think.

>Is it okay that I decided to pretty much mimic Orianna's icons? (icons I have painted were done from scratch and I've used Orianna's icons as references/inspiration)

That's totally ok. As long as you don't copy someone else's artwork and just make some modifications to it, it should be fine. Btw Flashmans R (Superspectrallazor) is pretty much the Ulti of Lux from LoL.

>Also, I think I've picked wrong colors for Ballsman Q, it won't be very hard for me to adjust the colors to either match color scheme of other icons or ingame sfx, however I felt like if I'd use red/orange colors for this icon, it'd suggest that the spell is offensive.

The colors are fine. If the majority of players will say it doesn't fit the spell, we can change it anyway. But for now it's fine in my opinion.

>Last thing, I won't constantly spam icons in this topic and next time I'll post icons I will most likely post all of the finished icons at once. Right now I just want to make sure I have right direction

You do.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-20 14:11
btw, using PNG instead of JPG would be nice. It looks a lot better and is supported by OC as well. JPG in most cases is only used for the sky background. Everything else that can use PNG should do so.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-21 16:31 Edited 2017-01-21 17:18
Ok, so here are all of the icons I've painted! I think I didn't miss anything, but let me know if I did!

Some icons were really challenging, like Great Leader man. I went a bit further with these icons and painted pretty much a scene on his Q. It's rather experimental and I didn't really finish his icons - some parts of them could use a bit more work. Let me know if icons that I've painted for great leader man are acceptable or not. If you think I should step away from painting pretty much a scene in these icons, then that's what I will do!

Anyway, let me know what you think I should change or improve and I'll be sure to do my best.

Each img is 200x200 so you can shrink them or crop differently, if you want.

I hereby license the file icons.rar under the CC-BY license
Attachment: icons.rar (1234k)
Parent - - By KKenny Date 2017-01-21 18:51 Edited 2017-01-21 18:57
Thank you, those icons really look awesome! <3 Unfortunately I'm really busy lately and also for the next month - but since K-Pone has repo access I'm sure he will add them to the mod.

Edit:
The only thing that looks a little off is the E of batman - to me it looks like a smoke grenade while the actual skill is more like a jammer that prevents struck targets from using their abilities.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-21 19:14 Edited 2017-01-21 19:32
Well, I just got a bit carried away trying new stuff, so I went for a smoke grenade. I guess I can change it a bit later!

One thing that bothers me personally about batman icons: most of the icons sets have their own color pallete that usually consits out of 2-3 colors, but that's not the case for Batman (black and white, no colors at all, high contrast). I'm afraid his icons might stand out a lot and feel like they don't belong to this mod, so let me know if that is an issue!
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-22 07:28
I updated icons a bit. Attaching only updated icons to this post - Batman's E, Timeman and Great Leader Man's icons.

Batman's E should feel more like an EMP greande or whatever.

Both Timeman and Great Leader have got mainly color updates:

Previously, timeman had 3 icons with not matching colors and it was bothering me a lot. I tried to match the colors of each icon and I think I got colors right this time.

Great Leader man's Q - background colors are less saturated and a bit washed out (just so they're less irritating), R - peon is bigger in size, horizon is higher and is now washed out further away, also I included hills in background because straight line was really awkward. Also, I worked a bit more on R peon shading, narrowed and mirrored the bow so it doesn't look out of place

I hereby license the file updated.rar under the CC-BY license
Attachment: updated.rar (326k)
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-22 19:33
I've put the new icons into the HUD. Also I've uploaded everything to the repo on github. If you don't mind, you could also try to make some icons for the champs themselves. Right now only BombMan, FlashMan, GreatLeaderMan, and BatMan have own icons so far. The others are using default object icons.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-01-22 20:43
Thanks that you put everything together!
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-01-31 17:12
I finally got some time to work on that! Icons are not 64x64, but I guess you could resize them as you wish.
I experimented with the icons for champs and decided to go for icons similar to Hearthstone class icons. Some of the icons are a bit blurry, but after resizing they should look alright.

Also, I included a couple of updated icons for some spells! (Ballsman Q on previous version has green background, while rest of his icons have black background and it looks a bit weird ingame)

Last, but not least, I included a file called "icon ring.png" just in case if I won't be around to make an icon for whatever character, someone else could do that

I hereby license the file classicons.rar under the CC-BY license
Attachment: classicons.rar (829k)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-01-31 21:31
Awesome. The Iceman icon could have some more icy blueish type of color. I like the new ninjaman Q icon. Will add them to Knüppeln as soon as I find some time for it.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-01 22:38
Updated the champicons. Also I've updated the Champselect window. It now uses the grid layout. I'll try to enable switching the layouts soon, so one could switch to the prefered one.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-02-02 09:33
One can also make the menu decoration different. I would however not make several menu layouts, there is really no need for that. Just one that works is fine for selecting a Champ.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-02 11:55
I think having both layouts available is nice because we already have quite a lot of players who got used to the list layout, but when the list of champs grows eventually, the grid layout can be useful as well since it takes away the nasty scrolling of the list. And having both available gives the player the choice which one should be used.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-02-02 10:53
You could make the icons bigger so that the menu is less empty :)
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-02 11:47
Or we need more champs. Then it's also not that empty. ;)  Anyway, I already made the icons bigger. They were "+2em" before and now they are "+2.5em". I think we could also use the icons in its original size. The original icons Sayned made are 200x200 px. Could I use them in that size somehow? Maybe a DefCore entry, another zoom level (currently Graphics.8.png) or something like that?
Parent - By Mupf [de] Date 2017-02-02 12:24
If there's plans for even more Champions, how about documentation of all Champions and their abilities? I'd really like that, I was always completely lost in online matches.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-02-20 22:28

>Could I use them in that size somehow?

Late answer, but yes:
You can just use "200px" instead of "2.5em". Might look weird on HD displays (e.g. some macs) of course. But that's the whole story of why we prefer relative sizes over pixels..
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-12 19:01
I've created a new Champ (ArchMan). Would be nice if you could make a champ icon and ability icons for him. If you want to try him, he's in the repo since yesterday (https://github.com/TheThow/OpenClonk-Stuff/archive/master.zip)

The champ icon he has right now is just a thing I painted in a minute or so (I'm bad at drawing). That was just to have something there while testing.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-21 19:16 Edited 2017-02-21 20:08
Sorry for a delayed reply - I was quite busy lately. Sure thing, I will take a look at the Ashe ArchMan and paint some icons, expect it all to be done in a few days!

Edit: please, update the icons for Ballsman and Earthman, I've included the updated icons into the previous package (the class icons.rar), so unless you deleted it, you shouldn't need to download anything. I know the changes are really small (earthman's E and ballsman's Q background is black on new versions, but green/brown on old versions. also, ballsman e is polished up on new version)
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-22 11:51 Edited 2017-02-22 11:55
Painted another set of icons!

I think I might paint unique icons for every class spell and at some point I would probably polish up every single icon so they look a bit more "professional". I think this isn't really urgent, so I'm probably not going to do that any time soon. However, perfectly, it'd be a nice thing to do at some point!

Also, I have updated some class icons - the iceman icon is a bit more saturated and polished, the earthman icon looks a bit more like a floating rock rather than some weird geometric shape, the flashman icon has a lot more rainbows and the batman's icon edge is cleaned up, before it had white smoke around it (btw ingame batman icon is still a bat model)

I hereby license the file archmanicons.rar under the CC-BY license
Attachment: archmanicons.rar (1160k)
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-22 14:25
Added and updated the artwork. Thanks a lot for the artwork.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-01-22 20:43
The icons are really cool :)
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-23 13:18
I want to contribute a champ, can I do that?
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-23 14:26
Yes, you can. If you need any help with it, feel free to ask. If you need help with translations, I could do the german one.

If you have any extra sounds you want to use for the champ, you could include them to the champ, I'll move them to the Sounds folder then. Make sure you name the source if you didn't make the sounds by yourself.
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-23 15:02
Awesome! Should I ask code related questions in this topic or maybe somewhere else?

I'm already struggling with one little thing and it doesn't seem like I'm any close to figuring it out.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-02-23 15:09
Just ask here!
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-02-23 15:10
You can either ask here or you can also join #openclonk or #openclonk-dev on euirc.net and ask there. It's up to you.
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-23 16:10 Edited 2017-02-23 21:03
Ok.

So thing I'm struggling with:

I want Q to have really low cooldown, but with each shot it becomes less accurate for a while. I think about creating an effect each time Q is pressed and changing fire angle by random amount depending on how many effects are applied to the Clonk. Also, casting E isntantly makes Q accurate (removes all of the effects at once). I'm sure there are better ways to approach this mechanic, but effects seem to be the easiest way

The exact thing I'm struggling with is actually applying the effect to the Clonk. I've tried a few things, like calling "AddEffect" and "CreateEffect" from the Clonk in function "Launch" of the spell as well as in function "Special1" but nothing happened - can't really figure out why

Edit: I think I figured it out

Edit 2: I didn't.

Edit 3: I have no idea how new effect syntax works
Here's the code I'm trying to work with:

local CoolingTime = 16;

public func Launch(object clonk, int x, int y)
{
  //obviously this function isn't 100% empty
  clonk->CreateEffect(FxInaccuracy,100,1,this.CoolingTime);
}

local FxInaccuracy = new Effect
{
  //what should be in here?
  //something like this:
  Construction = func(int CoolingTime)
  {
    this.CoolingTime = CoolingTime;
    return FX_OK;
  },
  Timer = func(int time)
  {
    if (time >= this.CoolingTime)
      return FX_Execute_Kill;
    return FX_OK;
  }

}

Edit 4: I FIGURED IT OUT
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-24 09:31 Edited 2017-02-24 09:44
It's finished!

I present to you MLG Man - the hero nobody wanted but everybody deserved! Has a few references to MLG memes in ability names and VFX and is centered around 2 mechanics - inaccuracy of rapid Q mashing and headshot mechanic of Q and R. Obviously this hero is inspired by shooters

Few things I want to clarify:
Headshot mechanic is a bit wonky, but I couldn't figure out a better way to approach it. You could possibly rewrite it at some point if necessary.
Also, R might turn out a bit too strong, however I still think it should deal 100 dmg on headshot and there are a lot of possible ways to nerf the ability without touching the "oneshot potential" - reducing base damage and increasing headshot multiplier, for example (20 dmg base damage, x5 modifier = 100 dmg headshot is what I would do - I didn't test the ability in battle because none of my friends play OC). Other options - increasing cooldown and/or charge time. The ability is supposed to be hard to land, but if you land it perfectly, then you get rewarded

I rushed through the icons, which is a bit sad, I might revise R and champ icons later as well as polish E up a bit more.
Attachment: MLGMan.ocd.rar (278k)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-02-24 09:45
You copied from the wrong man (bad coding style) unfortunately. It would be good if you can incorporate these guidelines. Especially func Special* should return true and false! Also your AI implementation is wrong, you can remove it completely, and I can add it later.

You can play the defense scenario to test it in battle. It seems to be quite strong and both shots are straight, is there a reason for this? What is the E ability supposed to do?
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-24 10:37
I will look through the guidelines and do my best to change the code accordingly! I totally forgot to remove the AI part from the code, which is a bit unfortunate.

Both shots were made straight intentionally because the champ is supposed to be like the guy from shooters - very accurate and precise.
He shoots bullets, rather than any other projectiles - which is the main reason why shots are straight and have high velocity.

E ability instantly refreshes player's mana and removes Q inaccuracy. Really basic skill, but I think the Q inaccuracy removal is what makes it special. If you want I could change it to something a bit more complicated/interesting.

If the champ proves to be too strong, there are a lot of things that can be done to nerf him properly. Through simply manipulating base dmg and headshot modifier of his spells he can become a lot more fair and interesting to play.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-02-24 21:03
Here is the outcome of the AI battling itself with different champs:

Winner is MLGMan.
===========================
MLGMan:    10
ArchMan:    0
===========================

You see how strong it is. You can add this for the MLGMan AI and then run ChampRankings.ocs yourself! (change static const rank_champs = [MLGMan, ArchMan]; to include the champs you want to let battle).

/*-- AI --*/

public func IsSpecial1Shot() { return true; }
public func IsSpecial1ShotStraight() { return true; }
public func IsSpecial1ShotSpeed() { return Special1Spell.Speed; }

public func ExecuteAISpecial2Spell(effect fx)
{
  if (!fx.Target)
    return false;
  if (fx.Target->GetMagicEnergy() > fx.Target->GetMaxMagicEnergy() / 2)
    return false;
  if (fx.Target->LaunchSpell(Special2Spell, 0, 0, 0, 0))
    return true;
  return false;
}

public func IsSpecial3Shot() { return true; }
public func IsSpecial3ShotStraight() { return true; }
public func IsSpecial3ShotSpeed() { return Special3Spell.Speed; }
Parent - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-25 05:09
I see, but couldn't run the test myself - bots prefer sword fighting over using magic. Which could be because of either me missing some files or using wrong snapshot (Currently using January 15th snapshot, tried updating snapshot version yesterday and the game simply crashed after every attemt to launch Knueppeln map.

I will do a few changes to the champ's spells, probably shift more power towards headshots, rework E into something more interesting. I still want to keep the inaccuracy mechanic and focus Q+E spells around it

Since I couldn't run the test I can't tell if R is alright or not (I doubt that it is though)
Parent - - By Sayned [kz] Date 2017-02-25 14:28
A bit of an update - still didn't figure exact reason why AI refuses to work properly, so I couldn't test the champ in AI duel thing.

I formatted the code a bit, probably not enough, though.

Q deals nonexistant damage unless it hits head, has higher cooldown a few changes to spread (a.k.a. inaccuracy). Basically, Q is overall less acurate and relies on headshot modifier to deal relevant damage.
E is now a 3 seconds buff. For the duration of the buff mana regen is significately increased and Q loses spread (a.k.a. inaccuracy) - it always fires where player aims
R can't oneshot anymore - I decided to step away from it since it probably would be rather unfun to play against

Changes are primarely focused on creating "windows of power" for the champ. When E is active, he's most effective and strong, but in exchange, when it's not active champ is a lot weaker.

The nerfs are pretty big and I can't really tell if the champ is any close to balanced state because of the issue I have mentioned earlier (bots refuse to use magic and prefer sword fighting, this applies to any champ, not only the MLG Man)

Lastly, I feel like E could make use of some SFX and/or better VFX - but I can't come up with anything that would be appropriate for such spell.
Attachment: MLGMan.ocd.rar (317k)
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-02-25 15:44
I will add the Champ probably today or request some changes if I find some problems!

You need the latest snapshot, but you probably need to wait for this bug to be fixed.
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Knüppeln! 0.8
1 2 3 Previous Next