Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Coal texture concept
- - By Newton [de] Date 2017-03-01 01:54 Edited 2017-03-01 01:56
If I am up-to-date, coal is one of the few materials that are still missing a new texture that will replace the old photo-style texture. The reason was I think that Matthias did not have a good idea yet how the shape of it could look like.

Now, while searching for something else, I found this picture:

This is it, isn't it? It has a unique shape, looks like coal and has features that go well into a normal map
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2017-03-01 10:30
It looks promising!
I created most of the other textures by creating a few rocks and shapes and putting them together like a puzzle - this approach won't give good results here, I think, seeing how comparatively tidy and well-structured the surface is (cracks are ~ parallel, lines in the material itself are parallel, flat surface). Can we use this photo in the texture? What is the license?

Also: What scale would be good? That is: when seen in game, should coal have "a few big cracks", or "many small cracks"?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2017-03-01 13:49 Edited 2017-03-01 14:25
It is public domain. Regarding the scale, I guess this is up for experimentation. So best start with a bigger source texture and then scale it down if it does look better smaller. My feeling is that it can/should be pretty small so it is not mistaken with granite blocks.

I created a tileable version of it, didn't do much else. So perhaps it should also be made equal-colored, despecled, blurred or something like that I am not good with that.

I hereby license the file coal-tileable.jpg under the CC-BY license
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2017-03-01 10:34
I like it because it looks like digable coal, which makes more sense than having a hard coal texture. Hard coal could also be mistaken with granite.
https://youtu.be/GzLvqCTvOQY?t=3m42s
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Coal texture concept