Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Tower of Despair
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Maikel Date 2017-04-22 19:51
Hi OC players!

There has already been the German version for this scenario in blog-style forum thread over here, but it is time to also present this for English speakers and here on the OC forum. Tower of Despair is a sequence of rooms with riddles of increasing difficulty which only the best Clonkers can solve! So try it and test yourself! The latest version is always down below under important links (until L(o/a)rry is live.

Feedback and contributed rooms highly appreciated!

Important links:
Current Tower of Despair download (Version 0.4) (only playable with the latest snapshot).
Here is the repository on GitHub.
Here is the wiki for the tower.
Trello list for bugs and feature requests.
Room template for the editor, needs OCTower.ocs (named exactly like this) in the appdata folder.

Impressions:
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2017-05-16 14:19
Oh boy. I know this animal room is intended to be annoying but it's just too much. It's already a real pain to count all big animals but fireflies and butterflies? :/

Also, not a fan of constantly having to re-roll the room until I get one with as few Pukas as possible. With 3, I managed to reach the code thingy without being killed, 5 or 6 was almost always being instakilled. They tend to warp themselves quickly to the tablet and just camp there (probably because of sky?). No chance of bypassing them.

And the dude at the end doesn't tell if you have to input the animals in descending or ascending order. And no idea what happens if two animal types are equal in numbers (which did happen to me). I was pretty sure my numbers were correct since I could open the 'count all animals' door. But still, I finally decided to cheat and use ObjectCount() but still my code input was incorrect (Mooqs and Chippies were both 5). Then I quit. :(
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-05-16 14:47
Okay, that is more annoyance than intended, I will fix the text of the guy stating clearly in what direction to count. I have been killed by pukas, but not that frequently. I can decrease the animal counts a bit so that there is always one species with 1, another with 2 and so forth to make it a bit easier. But then the total number is rather pointless :D

I'll put one puka to prevent the need to re-roll, if at least one more person complains about being killed so often!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2017-05-16 15:24

> But then the total number is rather pointless :D

You can still have gaps inbetween numbers, just be sure that all numbers are unique!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-05-16 15:41
They should be unique, maybe an animal died in between counting?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2017-05-16 16:20
Oh. They can die? D:
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-05-16 16:34
Yes, and I will fix this as well, since it is annoying.
Parent - - By Sven2 Date 2017-05-16 15:40
Hm, just count from a screenshot? :)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2017-05-16 16:19
I did pause the game but a little movement does help!
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-06-03 14:30
I fixed the issue of dying animals and also the player's clonk can't take any damage. Also it is indicated now in which way to order the code. Only in the repos for now, not in a new version yet.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-06-03 16:12
Did I do something wrong? I cloned your repository to a folder OCTower.ocs, started that as a scenario, but the first door says that I completed 0 out of 0 rooms, and I cannot choose to enter a room.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-06-03 22:25
You need to run ./create_tower.py to create a round that runs. It will copy the relevant scenario files (for each room) into Sect*.ocg and Room*.ocd so that each room is a section.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-06-04 10:49
Ok, thanks. I noticed that when I return to the outside of the tower, there is a colorless clonk standing in the relaunch position.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-06-05 13:51
I can't reproduce that with the latest version. Any more information, script errors?
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-06-23 15:56
How do you save your progress? We didn't manage to do that.

Also, with the relaunch rule you can respawn your teammates against their will. And in multiplayer, me (the host) could only control my Clonk in the outside-starting map. Once we entered the tower, only the other 2 took turns, and I could only watch :(
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2017-06-23 18:11
You just complete a room and then you can exit the game. Whenever you start the scenario again, go to the entrance door in order to select the room that you want to play.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-06-24 10:09
Saved progress is only on player elimination or successful round end. Don't know how to ensure saving after completing a room.

I'll look into the other issues when I have time, to debug network stuff is always a bit hard and I have to set up two laptops.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2017-06-24 12:33
We resigned to save, still that didn't do the trick.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-06-24 15:39
Ok, I will test that as well. Any errors in the log if you still have that?
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2017-06-24 19:35
Sorry, didn't think of saving the log, or looking if there was an error. We tried two times and just played other rounds afterwards.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-07-08 05:27
Is there some trick I am missing in "Lava leaping"? I tried for a while but just cannot get past the last two jumps :(

The part after the gate seems incredibly difficult to me. You need to wall-jump into hangling at the far left. After that, you have to hope that the lavacores don't rotate away from you just after the jump. I got the individual parts when I beam myself to train them, but never everything in one go.

Did you finish it yourself?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-07-08 06:26
The walljump into hangling is indeed intended and also jumping on the cores. I also never did it completely and only all the parts.

I could give the cores in the final section a higher freeze rate to make it easier, would that help?
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-07-08 15:39 Edited 2017-07-08 15:48
What's frustrating is not so much that the individual parts are hard, but that the level is so long. For every try, you have to re-play all the way to the switch and back.

I think you should split the level into two: The level ends after the gate, and the part with the wall jump and the last two lava cores go into another level.

Alternatively, the level could end after the gate and the last part leads to a joker. Although it would still be a very frustrating joker to get.

At least for the CR tower, the point of having individual rooms is that we can have really hard riddles and tricks. It's not frustrating because you only have to do each trick once. After that, the room is done and the progress is saved.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-07-08 16:10
Do you agree with only removing the last lava cores? I think the wall jumping down is quite easy and can be trained quite well.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-07-08 17:54 Edited 2017-07-08 18:14
Just try it yourself. I think you should set the difficulty such that you can finish it yourself in one go.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-11-01 01:38
Making you aware of this: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=33495#pid33495

In case any rooms depends on stuff in lava or indestructible cannons or something.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-11-01 10:02
Thanks, I am currently moving and have very little time. I'll look at all the questions/issues you raised also in other threads and the bugtracker later.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2017-11-09 20:06
Where are you moving to?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-11-10 08:19
I am in Kiel now, well, my home is now!
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2017-11-10 18:58
Oh, cool!
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-11-10 23:27
Nice! Did you meet Kohlrabi?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2017-11-11 08:18
As a vegetable yes, don't know who that is.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2017-11-15 17:58
A clonker who lives in Kiel
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-02-18 04:34
I think the key search room is (a bit) broken because you can't produce a teleglove (because no gem?). That's makes one chest more or less inaccessible. Apart from that, it is waaay more easy to just start it over and over again until the correct is in one of the easier-to-get-to locations. You might try and get a few locations out of curiosity but...yeah. I played 20 or 30 minutes and used 10 or so keys until I ran out of items. Luchs then got it with the third key and it was an easy one, too :(
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-02-18 08:11 Edited 2018-02-18 11:04
I don't do think the teleglove is a needed item to get any of the keys. But adding it makes it a bit more easier and allows for different solutions so I will add two diamonds or so. I don't know how to solve the start-over problem. Any ideas?
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-02-18 10:47
Sven said something about the old tower generating a fixed random key, so you have to at least restart the scenario. And after a relaunch, you wouldn't have to check stuff you already checked!
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-02-18 04:46
* The M-menu toggles like "join waitlist" or "vote player removal" are not updating when you press them (you have to close+reopen the menu to see that your state changed
* Voting a player out needs to have a sound. That was really important in the CR-tower. When you were too slow, you would hear the growling sound. After too many growling sounds you would be out
* The author is not shown in the current room info of the M-menu
* In the room overview on the right, instead of a checkmark, there could just be three columns for symbols: Room done, Joker, Tablet found. If the room has a joker/tablet and you haven't found them, the column would show them as a black silhouette. Otherwise, the column can just be empty. That would make it easier to find the rooms where you can still get e.g. a joker.
* I think we should have some more easy rooms. And you should get some easy jokers early on.
* I found the one-trick-pony rooms more interesting than those that were incredibly long. E.g. the one where you're flooded by acid is pretty neat. The first room with the flintjump over fish and the following riddle could easily be split into two. It's more interesting to play the short rooms in multiplayer.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-02-18 04:47
Btw is there a bugtracker for the tower?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-02-18 08:13
No, but posting stuff here is fine for now.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-02-18 08:28
Thanks! Did you play all rooms? Did you play with V0.6 and the release or with the snapshot?

>* The author is not shown in the current room info of the M-menu

Do you mean in the green panel in the top left? I can add it there but it also does not show the description of the room. Those can be found when selecting a room in the list.

> * I think we should have some more easy rooms. And you should get some easy jokers early on.

Agreed, you can hand in one/two for the tournament and win with a harder one.

> * In the room overview on the right, instead of a checkmark, there could just be three columns for symbols: Room done, Joker, Tablet found. If the room has a joker/tablet and you haven't found them, the column would show them as a black silhouette. Otherwise, the column can just be empty. That would make it easier to find the rooms where you can still get e.g. a joker.

Makes sense, do you mean as overlay on the room symbol (the parchment)? One problem though is rooms skipped by a joker, currently there is either the checkmark or a joker which means that you used a joker to skip that room. Or do you mean besides the room symbol? I also have to be aware of space issues, because the menu does only scale down to reasonable resolutions.

> * I found the one-trick-pony rooms more interesting than those that were incredibly long. E.g. the one where you're flooded by acid is pretty neat. The first room with the flintjump over fish and the following riddle could easily be split into two. It's more interesting to play the short rooms in multiplayer.

How was this in CR? I also thought there were quite a lot of rooms which took longer? But indeed for online play a bit shorter is better. Then also more jokers would solve the issue slightly as you can skip the long rooms.
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-02-18 10:50
I have a great idea for an easy room!
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-02-18 23:12

> Do you mean in the green panel in the top left? I can add it there but it also does not show the description of the room. Those can be found when selecting a room in the list.

I think it would make a lot of sense to be able to re-check the room name, description and author of the current roiom in the M menu. In case you are looking for hints. The question "who made this $#@%$#%@#$ room" is rather common ;-)

> Makes sense, do you mean as overlay on the room symbol (the parchment)? One problem though is rooms skipped by a joker, currently there is either the checkmark or a joker which means that you used a joker to skip that room. Or do you mean besides the room symbol? I also have to be aware of space issues, because the menu does only scale down to reasonable resolutions.

I meant beside the symbol. If space is an issue, the room list could just be its own page with the full screen available? Then it could even show the (primary) author.

> How was this in CR? I also thought there were quite a lot of rooms which took longer? But indeed for online play a bit shorter is better. Then also more jokers would solve the issue slightly as you can skip the long rooms.

CR had all kinds of rooms because of all the player submissions. But the shorter ones tended to be more popular. The long ones were often skipped.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-02-20 09:48

>I meant beside the symbol. If space is an issue, the room list could just be its own page with the full screen available? Then it could even show the (primary) author.

I changed the menu now to have these changes. I am not sure if it is clear enough what all icons mean.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-02-18 11:45

>* The M-menu toggles like "join waitlist" or "vote player removal" are not updating when you press them (you have to close+reopen the menu to see that your state changed

I can't reproduce this in non-Network mode.

>* Voting a player out needs to have a sound. That was really important in the CR-tower. When you were too slow, you would hear the growling sound. After too many growling sounds you would be out

Implemented. Where CR players also allowed to take back their vote? And did you also have a sound for that?
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-02-20 09:55

> * The M-menu toggles like "join waitlist" or "vote player removal" are not updating when you press them (you have to close+reopen the menu to see that your state changed

I can't reproduce this, even in a local network game with two players. I need more info.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2018-02-20 16:58
That's odd. Can you reproduce it with a very high control rate? Maybe the control-to-script-delay has to be at least X frames.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-02-21 15:55
Tried with control rate 9 and could not reproduce. In a network game with three players it happened some time for one of the three, but I could not find any problem. I checked that the menu was open, GetCursor returned something useful, etc.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2018-02-21 17:07
I had this bug in both games I played during the last week. When I get home, I'll try a local game!
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-02-21 19:52
Fixed, this was also the reason you need two-three machines to reproduce it.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-02-21 22:51
oh, wow :D
Up Topic Community / Player Creations / Tower of Despair
1 2 Previous Next