Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 14 months, Christmas and the like.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Parent - By Luchs Date 2017-12-15 21:35
Ah right, I believe Linus Heckemann and Matthias Mailänder from the shortlog are also package maintainers.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-12-15 15:07
Is it not easier to just maintain a list on our website? Since otherwise we always need to update this before any release.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2017-12-15 18:28
Personally, I am fine with any order (alphabetically, random, fair dice roll - but only D20, sorted from who you like best to least best, points in a round of Hot Ice).

commit count might be too much effort? And, yes, I am responsible for that. Sometimes, when getting stuff from the milestones, I pushed them under my name when I was sure the person was already mentioned in the repos anyway. I didn't think that commit count would count!

As to space & maintenance: maybe it's easier to replace the credit image with a text field? Maybe even autoscrolling like many other games do? Then we don't have to drop anyone.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-12-15 21:41

>I didn't think that commit count would count!

Commit count isn't a great metric in any case, it's just one we can very easily get.

>As to space & maintenance: maybe it's easier to replace the credit image with a text field? Maybe even autoscrolling like many other games do? Then we don't have to drop anyone.

I'm going to have a look, but I'm not at all familiar with C4Gui.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2017-12-16 22:27
We could have a "Credits" scenario that shows a beautiful landscape with a credits roll. That should be relatively easy to maintain.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-12-17 13:39
True. Any ideas what could happen in the scenario? I think that scenario might showcase some typical ingame situations, such as a melee, clonks building a settlement, clonks mining underground, clonks working together to cross an abyss,...
Parent - By Maikel Date 2017-12-17 13:59
Anything the AI can do easily and preferably with some randomness.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-12-17 15:30
No one would ever see that. And we'd also have to maintain that.

Can't we just decrease the font size in the screen by one tick to fit more?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2017-12-18 21:29
And increase the resolution…
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2017-12-16 18:02
Imo it would be a shame if Kanibal would only be in that list for minor contributions. I think Larry (if it makes it into the release) is rather a major improvement, such as Sven2's new editor, Luchs IPv6, and JCaesar's netpuncher features. Just don't have a clue if there's enough space for it though.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2017-12-20 23:56

>Larry (if it makes it into the release)

Larry won't make it into this release if we want to release this year.

But yeah, I suppose we could add an additional category "Larry" with Kanibal and NativeException for the next release :)
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-12-20 23:23 Edited 2017-12-21 00:11
I tried recreating the credits image with C4GUI now. Turns out there's plenty of space if you don't try to fit on 800x600 screens :)

Some issues with that solution:

- C4GUI::TextWindow first does line breaks, then applies formatting. This sometimes breaks the color tags.
- Aligning the titles properly is hard. I may have to hard-code the text width. (They are currently aligned relative to the largest title line in the image file.)
- The original credits image had tons of text shadow to make everything readable. This doesn't seem to be possible with in-game text rendering. I enabled the standard grey background instead, but that doesn't look great.
- C4GUI::TextWindow scrolls the title image together with the text which isn't quite what we want here. Not too bad though as everything seems to fit without scrolling on standard text sizes.

Code: https://github.com/openclonk/openclonk/compare/master...lluchs:c4gui-credits
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2017-12-21 09:14
that's obviously the best solution compared to the image or a scenario, cool :)
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2017-12-21 23:05
I pushed this to the repository now, feedback welcome!
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2017-12-22 19:19
I prefer the one without the dark background - otherwise it looks pretty good. Did not check which one you pushed.
Parent - By Fulgen [at] Date 2017-12-22 20:24
I prefer the one with the dark background - otherwise it isn't really readable.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2018-01-08 11:20 Edited 2018-01-08 11:24
Very well! Just one comment: I got one of those scrolling bars for "music and sound", which looks a bit odd. In my opinion it is better to scroll the full page if need because of a low resolution.

Edit: windowed mode with 1440x960, I know this is rather exotic and not my usual setting either.
Edit: seems to only happen for wide and low-res resolutions.
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-01-08 15:04
Scrolling the full page would make the layout dependent on the text rendering. C4GUI just doesn't have the tools to make this kind of layout work easy.

But yeah, there are some resolution/font size combination where everything fits, but C4GUI still decides to show scroll bars. I just hope that most players have screens with higher resolutions (at least 1920x1080).
Parent - - By Fulgen [at] Date 2018-01-08 15:14

>I just hope that most players have screens with higher resolutions (at least 1920x1080).

:(
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-01-08 15:18
Real Clonkers have at least 800x600 ;)
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2017-12-30 10:06

> Also, how do we sort the entries?

I used to order them by how I subjectively thought who contributed the most, taking into account also commits in the resources repos, amount of fixed bugs, blog entries, administrative work etc.
Parent - - By Newton [th] Date 2017-12-30 10:18
Since I am somewhat out of tune regarding recent great contributions that should be taken into account of such a subjective evaluation, I'm happy if someone else, such as you, takes it into his hands. I must say though, that the commit count alone somewhat leaves out contributions of people who do the artwork (often in the forum) and of the other things I mentioned. I.e. Isilkor's buildserver, ala's organizational effort with trello etc.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-01-08 15:16

> I must say though, that the commit count alone somewhat leaves out contributions of people who do the artwork (often in the forum) and of the other things I mentioned.

I think commit count works well enough for the dev team. The artwork and music people are in a separate category from those writing code, so there's no unfair competition there. For the "Contributors for 8.0" category, I sorted the artwork contributions somewhere in-between. We only had one very active contributor (Fulgen) anyways, the others all only had a couple commits / pieces of artwork. (I hope I didn't miss anyone contributing artwork, those are a lot harder to detect than commit authors.)
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-01-31 21:23
For the record, the Credits.txt file in the root of the repository can now be generated from the About dialog by pressing Ctrl+S.
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-04 11:30
Do we have a  release plan?
Any release blocking bugs for 8.0?
Any features that we still want to finish before the release?

Do we have any idea why the snapshots are broken?
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-01-04 12:36

>Any release blocking bugs for 8.0?
>Any features that we still want to finish before the release?

No, I think everything critical from the bugtracker is fixed.

Apparently it's broken on Mac (there's a Mac issue and Kanibal also mentioned that once), but we don't have any Mac developers to confirm or fix that anyways.

>Do we have any idea why the snapshots are broken?

Yeah, I already wrote ck a message, but he didn't respond yet. It's probably not release-blocking as the releases are built from a separate repository checkout, but we'll need someone with an account (Sven or Maikel I guess?) to try a dry release.

>Do we have a  release plan?

- Write a release blog post
- Do the steps from http://wiki.openclonk.org/w/Release_Steps

Anything else?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-04 13:33

>Anything else?

Check the roadmap and move everything that's not important to post-8.0.
http://bugs.openclonk.org/roadmap_page.php

And I still have one issue I'd like to fix (#1970)
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-01-04 14:55
I wish there was an easy way to move issues around between target versions :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-04 17:03
It's not the manual effort, it's more the conscious decision to not include some things that have previously been marked as required
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-01-04 18:09
A lot of these issues are more "nice-to-have" things and not exactly requirements. Like missing sounds or decoration. Others are carried over from the roadmap of previous versions or even from CR, like the runtime join issue.

This is why I'm moving the issues to the "git master" target and not to 9.0. Things that don't block this release won't block the next release either.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-04 16:56

> And I still have one issue I'd like to fix

Do it!
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-04 17:02
thx
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-04 17:03
No thx. You're a release blocking person!
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-04 17:16

> Yeah, I already wrote ck a message, but he didn't respond yet.

He'll have a look this (American) evening. Facebook is the real deal here!
Parent - By Maikel Date 2018-01-04 21:40
I am back from holidays in a 6 days from now and can help with the dry release stuff then.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-05 00:22
Snapshots work again!
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2018-01-05 08:13
Finally, that was really getting annoying. Y.Y
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-06 19:20

>Anything else?

Oh, and someone could scroll through the changes and write down the ten to twenty (or so) most interesting changes for players and developers, which could be included in a blog posting!
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-01-07 18:17
I started writing a release blog post (only visible to developers, I guess). The major new features I have for now are the new editor, improved networking, a list of new scenarios, and a couple of script improvements. Not quite twenty changes yet! ;)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2018-01-08 19:02
I'm wondering if we want to cover the technical details on the networking stuff in such a blog post. (They're also not all that perfect. Some limited form of hole punching is still required for IPv6 to open the ports in firewalls, saying that we make connections /via/ the netpuncher is at least misleading, and it was implemented before, just in a much weaker form.) Maybe we should separate that.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-08 20:41
Well, adress people who have no clue of anything.

"HEEEY GUYS WE GOT NETWORKZ IMPROVEMENTZ AND IT MIGHT BE THAT YOU CAN NOW JUST JOIN ANOTHER PLAYER IF IT DIDNT WORK BEFORE"

It's advertisement to some degree. You just mention the cool stuff!
Parent - - By Luchs Date 2018-01-08 20:45
That's what I was aiming for with the first sentence of that section. I still want to give a bit of technical detail as we never managed to publish a proper blog post on the topic...
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-08 22:40
Sorry, I didn't read the draft yet :)
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-01-04 21:27
I'd like to put the few finished extra pieces of music, I posted around a year ago into 8.0 as well.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2018-01-04 22:10 Edited 2018-01-04 22:14
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk3oukhuq828ucs/Subsurface%20Investigation.zip?dl=0

Instructions:
The track 'Sea Life' is an updated Version of the main soundtrack, since at that time I used a wrong string patch. Not the strings sound better :)
It should replace the current version.

All other tracks can just be copied into the folder, they are all tagged accordingly and converted to ogg. So nothing needs to be done. Some of the tracks are from a different project than OC and hence a bit darker in their atmosphere though.

[Edit] Also added the additional tracks to the track list in the license.txt, the file is attached to this post.
Attachment: License.txt (2k)
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-01-05 15:05
Cavern is missing in the license yet
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2018-01-06 01:13
Ah yes, because I took the OC 7.0 list. So this should be added to the list as well.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-01-07 18:31
I moved some bugtracker items to 9.0 (and also fixed one and a half!)

Clonkonaut, you still have two issues assigned on the roadmap. Do you want to push them to 9.0?
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-07 19:02
Closed and pushed the other to 9.0. No one gave me feedback there, so there is nothing to do.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2018-01-19 10:40
http://bugs.openclonk.org/view.php?id=1982

I consider this release blocking, don't know about everyone else. Caesar's assignment isn't fixed. He is currently just working on assignment stuff.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / 14 months, Christmas and the like.
1 2 3 4 Previous Next