Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Reviving the snapshots
- - By Luchs Date 2018-09-26 21:48
The development snapshots broke some time ago when Isilkor's server died. I've started implementing a new snapshot infrastructure. There is now a simple server that receives externally-built snapshot archives and generates the snapshot page.

As a start, I've changed the Travis build a bit to generate a Linux AppImage that is then uploaded to openclonk.org. In contrast to our previous Linux snapshots, this AppImage should work on most Linux systems out of the box.

I hope we can extend this to Windows builds soon. I believe Isilkor had already most of the setup for AppVeyor done?

In the meantime, if you're on Linux, go to the snapshots page and try the new Linux snapshots!
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-09-26 22:20
That's super cool, thank you!
Do you want to set up a readme file in that repository so people can set up a build server if they want it (and without reading the code)? :)
Parent - - By Armin [de] Date 2018-10-13 16:27
Thanks. And good that the file does always have the same name. :o Makes it a bit easier for automatic unpacking etc.
Parent - By Luchs Date 2018-10-13 21:29
Two tips for scripting:

- latest-<branch> links to the latest complete (i.e, both Windows and Linux finished) snapshot of that branch: latest Windows, latest Linux

- On Linux, you can use AppImageUpdate or appimaged to do delta-updates. So after the initial full download, it will only download the parts that have changed. Not sure how well that works with our c4group files, but at least it saves you from downloading the music and dependencies each time.
- - By Luchs Date 2018-10-07 20:09
Isilkor finished the Windows snapshots built on AppVeyor now. They're linked on the snapshots page as well.
Parent - - By Newton Date 2018-10-08 12:21 Edited 2018-10-08 12:23
Cool! Looking at the download page, by the way, perhaps nanomill should be removed as it never made it out of the alpha stage and there hasn't been any activity whatsoever for over a year (see https://github.com/Apfelclonk/nanoMill ).

Maybe the same for the eclipse plugin. Mortimer isn't active anymore for several years now and the c4dt installation guide mentions an update site that is 403 forbidden at least since the website move from my webspace to Luchs' server.
Or is anyone using the eclipse plugin? I remember that Maikel (once?) did. (Also, if it is stable, it is maybe not necessary that it has an active maintainer and simply the update site needs to be fixed)
Parent - By Luchs [se] Date 2018-10-08 13:06
Right, I'll update the download page. Not sure about the c4dt update page, it's probably just an issue with the webserver configuration. Removing the link there might still be a good idea. I think we've had people ask questions about it on IRC before, and then there's nobody at all around who knows how it works.

Long-term, it might be nice to integrate some of the features c4dt and other development environments provide directly into the editor to provide a smoother transition from "clicking together stuff in the editor" to "creating or modifying objects and other game data". Fulgen's Qt-based "Editor.exe clone" might be a starting point for that. I don't think we need a full IDE, but just a way to discover how the game works without messing with c4group or the git repository.

Mape snapshots are still a todo, too. I will look into this, probably as part of a CMakeLists.txt refactoring. Mape should also be a target for separate distribution packaging.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-10-08 14:10

>Or is anyone using the eclipse plugin?

Yeah, I have always been using it. It has some quirks, so I wouldn't recommend it for new people, and it's eclipse, so it uses a lot of CPU and RAM.
Guess I would instantly change to e.g. VSC if it had basic C4S support.
Parent - - By Luchs [se] Date 2018-10-08 16:18

>Guess I would instantly change to e.g. VSC if it had basic C4S support.

Might we worth spending some time on that so that we have something to recommend for new developers. VS Code also seem to be fairly popular in general right now.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2018-10-10 20:44
What's VSC?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-10-10 21:58
https://code.visualstudio.com/
It's pretty cool. I am currently using it for Python, sometimes for C++ on Linux (but Qt Creator has better cmake integration). And sometimes also just as a diff viewer/editor for git commits.
Parent - By Anonymous Date 2018-10-12 13:34
If it is based on electron, perhaps that basic c4s support could be extracted from nanomill.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2018-10-08 14:11
Yeah, that's super cool!
Does anyone else have access to the appveyor/travis stuff in case something needs to be fixed?
Parent - By Luchs [se] Date 2018-10-08 16:04
Almost everything important lives in the repository now in the .travis.yml and appveyor.yml files, so everyone can change it. This also allows building forks very easily, just by enabling Travis or AppVeyor for the forked repository.

I think the only thing that needs Isilkor or me now are the Windows dependencies and the snapshot upload page.
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2018-10-08 19:03
There are two things which aren't stored in the repository:
- The upload credentials (obviously), those are set per-repository in the AppVeyor interface
- The win64 dependency package, which is a big binary blob, but if you want to roll your own all you have to do is build a zip file containing whatever is required to make cmake find libraries inside.
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2018-10-08 16:18
Cool, but I just tested it and it seems to be missing "alut.dll"
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2018-10-08 21:56
This should be resolved now.
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Reviving the snapshots