Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Item textures overhaul
- - By Clonkonaut Date 2019-05-01 18:56
I played around with brightening the item textures and are also looking to tying together the objects we have in our game. Personally, I'd still like to see pluto's appraoch being done (and have asked him for the files).
I therefore used the wood texture from there, so it's an orangy wood and made the metal brighter and bluish. I attach a test scenario in which I replaced the textures for the hammer, shovel, pickaxe, sickle and axe (only the ones lying around, not in your inventory so you can see the difference). I also like to have items stand out a bit more in front of material this way.
In addition, I want to smooth out the occasional oddity like the hammer's material having just 64% lighting.

But before doing more work on this, I wanted to ask people's opinion. Keeping in mind that graphics and art style are often highly subjective topics. But I believe we could benefit from having everything ingame looking a bit more like it was made from the same base materials.
Attachment: ItemTextures.ocs (75k)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2019-05-01 21:32
Screenshot instead of .ocs file plz :I

But I am very much in favor!
Parent - - By Clonkonaut Date 2019-05-01 23:01
You can see the difference here with the axe and the stuff in the inventory.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2019-05-02 08:57
Looks good to me - I just noticed that the metal (e.g. for the crossbow/barrel/musket/lamp) is also very different in each model

PS: and the hammer's head is quite shiny now
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2019-05-01 21:50
Since it is related, I would like to propose my idea for a texturing workflow here.

Generally, I want to avoid using 2d painting programs to create the textures. Instead, the textures should be created inside of Blender. Blender is capable of creating textures of much better quality and consistent looks, as compared to a 2d painting program.

A material library for Blender can easily be set up. It is basically just a .blend file that contains all the different materials, like brick, tiled wood, metal, roof tiles, concrete, etc. These blender materials are very nifty: they can have depth, specularity, bumpy surfaces, bevels, ambient occlusion, etc (at least in Blender 2.8). And once such a material is created, it can easily and very quickly be applied to any model.

A model generally is composed of various materials. For example, a building might consist of tiled wood and bricks. Applying the materials exactly to their respective parts in the model is easy: After you have imported the material from the library, you simply select those faces that should have this material and apply the material to these faces.
You will end up with a model that has several different materials applied to it.

Now the last, and most important step is to bake these materials into one common texture. By baking, you achieve the high quality look for the texture. For example the ambient occlusion shadows give everything a more plastic look and depth. The bevel shader gives you the feel of nice rounded edges. And you don't have to worry about off color grading, the size and intensity of the shadows, etc. Everything will look consistent, because it is rendered with the same materials and the same settings.
Overall, I think this process is a real time saver. You select the faces, apply the materials, hit the bake button and boom - you get a nice texture.png which would have taken hours to draw by hand!

And I want to stress the ability to bake normal maps from the materials, or even from the same models with a higher level of detail. I noticed that a normal map baked from a bevel material in blender looks really friggin nice.

I have attached three example images. One shows the foundry in Blender 2.80, with purely procedural blender materials and next to it the model with the baked texture inside of blender. Note that the shading mode is set to material, not rendered.
The other two images show the object ingame, one without and one with baked textures.

I hereby license the file blender.JPG under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file hochofen.PNG under the CC-BY license

I hereby license the file withbakednormal.PNG under the CC-BY license
Parent - By Clonkonaut Date 2019-05-01 22:49
That's all nice and good. There is, however, a problem and that is that retexturing objects is a project that is lying around for many, many years now.

So, there are three ways to proceed:
1. You can provide me with an easy to follow guide on how to bake texture for OC models and I'll try my best.
2. You are willing to put in the effort yourself (which of course means hours of work).
3. It won't be done and I will work on like I do now.

At this point I am personally done with talking everything through, pondering about what would be nice to have. We are but a few people left developing and most people who wanted to work on models have never finished the work.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2019-05-02 09:02
I also love texture baking and I usually did that when I made textures (or I drew them by hand in Blender).

However, this rises and falls with a good material library that every artist can use (e.g. different wood textures (planks/raw/logs) with the same color scheme).
And, as Clonkonaut said, this is a different kind of effort compared to just adjusting the brightness levels on the textures - even if it might not be a looot more.

The furnace looks pretty neat, though.
Parent - - By Foaly [de] Date 2019-05-03 11:32
Hm, I liked the way the furnace looked before.
It had much more detail.

But I guess yours is more readable from afar since it as more contrast.

Also, your normal mapped screenshot looks much flatter. The top doesn't look like a cylinder anymore.
Is that just caused by different lighting or is that a glitch?
Also, I feel like normal mapping doesn't really add anything to this model anyway...
Unless we could maybe use it to add some fake bevel?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2019-05-03 13:58
Normal mapping is only really visible when you have moving light, because otherwise the shadows will just look as static as if they really were baked into the texture
- By Clonkonaut Date 2019-06-04 15:19
Pushed updated textures for the stuff in Objects/Items/Tools
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Item textures overhaul