Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Logo Brainstorming
- - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-22 17:43
Lets storm our brains.

Open...first I think Open is good, not aggressive und cool. So I favourite a dominant light blue color.
Clonk, thats the point. Clonk Logos are comicstyled in the past, do we want this? Or do we want a new, clear and clean design? Do we wanna use Pictures in the Logo or only a good fontmix? May we can think about a little mascot - like a new Styled Clonk with shouldered a gaver and/or shovel? May would be nice. We may also need more variations, minimum a normal styled and one its inverted (e.g. for dark backgrounds).

Feel free to post more ideas and essays.
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-22 17:55
Actually I am quite conservative there: I am all for the classic CLONK with a small "open" text on the upper left corner. We might have to ask matthes if it is okay for him if we use that.
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2009-04-22 18:26
Maybe it would be cool to have a logo that is something new but even a little bit like the old ones. The "Open" is completely new, so this could get the "new" design, "Clonk" might get a style, that's not looking quite like the old ones but even not too "unclonkish". That's my idea.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-04-22 19:30
Well it is sure that the title is called "Open Clonk"? Else we need not to think about a style.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-23 08:56
Ahm, you read the url on the top of your Browser(?)
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-04-23 11:32
I know that the project is called "Open Clonk", but in my opinion, a name as "Clonk %s" would be better.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-04-23 12:44

> but in my opinion, a name as "Clonk %s" would be better.

Impossible due to a so far to the community unknown reason (i.e. the license of matthes as it will be).
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-23 14:03
Ohh, mysterious, an unkown reason ;-P
Clonk cannot be used because of trademark issues. Clonk is a trademark of Redwolf Design.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2009-04-23 14:52
Matthes will probably give us a trademark license to use "%sClonk". We're open for suggestions. But we don't need to change the name of the game every few years anymore because we don't need to sell shareware licenses, so we could simply use "Open Clonk 2.0" for the second stable release.
Parent - - By ArneB Date 2009-04-23 11:23
It's "OpenClonk", for now.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-23 11:38
With or without whitespace? ;)
Parent - By ArneB Date 2009-04-23 14:32
No whitespace.
Parent - - By stevi [de] Date 2009-04-25 11:45 Edited 2009-04-25 11:56
After short brainstorming I created this Logo concept. It's quite simple and unprofessional, but hey, it's a concept ;)
I created this one with the hope, that I can inspire someone more professional designer. However, take a look at this..

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - By K-Pone [de] Date 2009-04-25 12:29
Looks quite good, but you're right, someone more professional has to redesign it.
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-25 13:41
Imo it's too much clonk-ish. I think we need a much newer design.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2009-04-25 13:53
I agree, it should be something very different from the current logo.
Parent - - By stevi [de] Date 2009-04-25 14:33
I don't know if it's a good idea to go too away from the "classic clonk"-design. Imagine, someone who download OpenClonk might say "Uh, looks like a copycat..." due to the too different design compared to the original. And don't forget, it's...
a) a concept
b) still Clonk ;)
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-25 15:06
Dont forget it's a feedback, not a personal attack.
Parent - By stevi [de] Date 2009-04-25 15:29
I know ;)
Before I forget to say: I agree with your statement "we need a much newer design". For me it's clear that we won't use 1:1 the original graphics. But for me, this have been sounding like "It's too much Clonk. We need something completely different.". Anyway, I hope you got some ideas for feature OpenClonk logo suggestions ;)
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-04-25 17:47
Hey hey, relax. its just a loose suggestion how it could look. No reason to fall into a discussion wether the design goes into the right direction. I see it like this: This is like a sketch on which the actual designers could orientate themselves.... or not. When a concrete design of a designer pops up, we can talk about that, no?

I think it's a bit contraproductive to talk too much about this now.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-25 18:01
Its just one opineon, not more, not less.
Parent - By Maddin Date 2009-04-25 14:08

>aggressive und cool

Denglish? :3

Well, for the logo I would prefer that Aero-Style I used for my logo concept. Or maybe stuff like steampunk.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-04-25 15:02
I think it would be nice if the logo is like a building site.

Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-25 15:08
Funny, but dont you think the people will associate this Logo with a permanent-building-site? ;)
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-04-25 15:16
I just thought about to put the activities of the clonks into the logo. Another idea like this would be a mine where the writing "Clonk" is hewed in (and some clonks with a lorry are going over).
Parent - By Cani [de] Date 2009-04-25 22:35
I like the idea of clonks running, climbing etc. around the logo. Maybe not only this building site thing. One letter could be made of gold and a clonk throwing a flint at it. Another clonk is digging the inside of the "O".  The upper part of the "K" might be filled with water and a clonk jumps into that little pool. In one sentence: Clonks bustling around like in the game.
Parent - - By Fireknight [ch] Date 2009-04-26 18:22
I'd prefer a fontmix.
Maybe like this

Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2009-04-26 19:03
mh if I read this one I read "Clonk Open" not "Open Clonk" ...but it looks interesting.
Parent - By Cani [de] Date 2009-04-26 19:08
I read "Clopen Onk" or "Clopen^nk" ^^
Anyway I think it is a bit too colourful.
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-04-26 19:18
Hm. Fontmixes are mostly suggest a clear and solid thing (the product/company/whatever) like this example. OpenClonk seems to be free and a bit dynamic, so I dont think that style fits to it... but interesting concept and thanks for :) (may the finished Logo have a fontmix, thats only my toughs)
Parent - - By Nico [de] Date 2009-04-27 22:14
I hope it's ok, that I use youre icon in the new Clonk Magazin? If not send me a mail (Clonk-Magzin@gmx.de)! Thank you ;)
Parent - By ArneB Date 2009-04-27 22:23
Well, just use it in accordance with the CC-by license, and you'll be fine.
Parent - By Fireknight [ch] Date 2009-04-27 22:35
It's OK ;)
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Logo Brainstorming