Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / [Request] Faq/Guide for beginners
- - By MastroLindo Date 2009-05-19 10:01
First of all: with beginners I don't mean people that doesn't have any idea of programming, game programming and so on. I guess that people who are really interested should search for this information in the 1040304320432 places where you can already find it.

As for me, I am a computer science engineer, I have good knowledge of many programming languages (C/C++/C#/Java the main ones). I have little to no experience at all in game developing, but because of my passion I am starting to study it for my own with books, tutorials and so on. So already now I guess I have at least a general view on the process, main concepts, use of APIs like directX or openGL and so on.

So let's just say: I have quite good experience on "standard programming" and starting having some theoretical one on game programming.

Soon I will have more free time and I would like to help people here developing openclonk, both because I love clonk and would like to help shaping a new title, and because I think collaborating here could help me learning a lot in this field.

I see from forums that many actual developers have already worked in the past on clonk and so they already know several aspects of the code and of the design of the title.

Unluckily, I don't share the same luck.

So for me and for other programmers that might come from the net, I think it would be really helpful to start contributing, if a kind of guide or FAQ could be written around main, basic areas of interests like:

-main architecture of the software (some sorts of diagram would help)
-organization of the source code
-description of implementation specific subjects (only on big areas like, for example,  landscape creation/storing/rendering)

I don't know if these information are already provided somewhere or in the code. As stated before, actually I don't have a lot of free time and I just could follow a bit the forum. Still didn't get a chance to download and compile the code :)
But I guess that provide them in the wiki could really fast up the process with which new people like me could start really helping you guys, and not just "messing around" or "throw 200 ideas with no people actually there to implement them".
The main problem is that from the forum I get that many of you have already quite a good knowledge of the engine, taken from working on it quite a lot in the past. If you could give us a starting point to start building our own knowledge, we could maybe help more :)

Disclaimer: this is a really theoretical post. Since I still have to download and look at the code, it might be just easier than I think. It might contain a lot of comments or a clear structure to understand. Actually I just don't know :p. But anyway I think that a FAQ or guide-to-developers section with some starting points could help newcomers getting an easier introduction to the project than just getting their dirty hands on the code :)

That's all
Parent - By MastroLindo Date 2009-05-19 10:52
sorry I just saw this http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?tid=102 that is discussing the same things.. I missed it before, sorry, you can close this topic :)
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-05-22 14:33
I admire your passion for game/clonk development. I'd really like to see you on the team. :-)

As you noticed, I mentioned this topic already. Mainly, for this kind of introduction and documentation to the code (

>-main architecture of the software (some sorts of diagram would help)
>-organization of the source code
>-description of implementation specific subjects (only on big areas like, for example,  landscape creation/storing/rendering)

) the Wiki is the right place. Up till now, there does not exist any documentation of this but will hopefully gradually be constructed. Till then, you can directly ask the developers which are usually hanging around in the IRC: irc.euirc.net: #clonkdev
Most involved are I think Günther, PeterW, Isilkor, Sven2 and CK

The thing is, that the internal development of Clonk has been traditionally pretty closed. I remember that the complete development of Clonk Endeavour was (successfully) held secret. ClonkX followed the same model until recently (where some teaser videos and screenshots have been released). I don't know the exact reasons for this but that is why there is no documentation or "beginners guide" of the organization of the source code, the main architecture or specifics about implementations.

What is pretty well documented however is the Clonk script language which can be compiled from a neat XML-structure. I uploaded the current build here: http://docs.openclonk.org/en/sdk/index.html
However, it's more or less the Clonk Rage documentation.

Another thing that is not documented at all (yet) is the structure of the scripts of the game content.
Up Topic General / General / [Request] Faq/Guide for beginners