Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
- - By Günther [de] Date 2009-05-19 18:03
Another effect without 3d model needs, I think.
- Graphics and Script. Using particles and a script to create them is probably the way to go.
- BlastFree. There was some talk about replacing the strict circle shape. This probably needs to be done in the engine for speed, but C4Landscape::BlastFree is easy to find and quite straightforward. And there are enough engine coders here to help out.
- Explosion from C4Effect.cpp should have already been removed in Clonk Rage.

Anyone interested?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-05-19 18:08 Edited 2009-05-20 13:19

>There was some talk about replacing the strict circle shape.

Hmm. You mean real dynamic explosions interacting with the landscape? That would be interesting, yes. But perhaps not as calculatable as the circle-shaped ones.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-05-19 18:15
I'd like to apply the explosion from Hazard (without the casting of bullets). It's not Hazard-specific and looks cool. On that note: The black explosion particles that stay after the explosion are not meant to fade that fast but for particles it's not possible to fade slower (yet).

>BlastFree. There was some talk about replacing the strict circle shape. This probably needs to be done in the engine for speed, but C4Landscape::BlastFree is easy to find and quite straightforward. And there are enough engine coders here to help out.

I think the best way is to create a circle-shaped polygon with varying radius (perhaps checking if the vertices are beyond a too solid material) and then filling each pixel of the polygon with a tunnel pixel (scanline-algorithmus). I have some polygon code still lying around, I'll have a look.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-05-20 14:16

>I'd like to apply the explosion from Hazard (without the casting of bullets). It's not Hazard-specific and looks cool. On that note: The black explosion particles that stay after the explosion are not meant to fade that fast but for particles it's not possible to fade slower (yet).

Just make a particle animation. It is easy.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-20 15:47
And it doesn't eat more memory than a slower fadeout would do?
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-05-20 16:04
ok... it is not optimal. But the memory it eats is nothing to speak of.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-05-20 16:25
Graphical memory is more important than ram. And we shouldn't start doing weird stuff when we can do it another way.
Parent - Date 2009-05-30 14:48
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-05-30 22:12 Edited 2009-05-30 22:17
The old smoke particle doesn't look good anymore if zoomed in (per-random moving grey circles). I searched for some photoshop-smoke tutorials but perhaps someone else wants to give a try. Could be an animation if you want or just different shaped smoke particles (which fade out then).
Here the tuts I found:
http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/11374 - very short, looks good
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/23/860540 - long video tutorial, but uses pics of actual clouds as source :o
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-05-31 02:38

> but uses pics of actual clouds as source :o

Clouds are apparently very versatile.

But for smoke I wonder whether more engine support might help. Perhaps a calm smoke animation could be rendered in a wiggly line when the wind blows?
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-05-31 10:12
I don't know how that could be done.

>Tutorial

Ah, I was searching for that one!
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-07-14 11:20
Anyone up for renewing the smoke particles? Otherwise, I'll do it.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-23 11:25
Yeah, the explosions should be irregular, and scan-lined so the explosions won`t go past metal wall destroying only ground behind.
Every material should have its own 'strenght', so every scan-line of explosions replaces pixels with tunnel material, reduces its power by material strenght, and goes further. A bit of randomization to power reduction would be good too.
Parent - - By finsterwipf [de] Date 2009-06-23 13:08
I said that in Clonk Zoom Bugtracker :) I second that idea.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2010-02-14 21:00
Sorry for digging out this veeery old post, but I still think, that raycasted explosions are good idea. This way instead of having only few degrees of hardness (transparent(air,water)destructible, turning into other mat, indestructible) we could have many various degrees of destructibility. This way dynamite would blow large hole in sand, smaller in earth, small in stone, and tiny one in granite. This new hardness system could also be used for digging, as digging trough dirt would be way faster than trough earth, even slower trough some other material, nearly impossible trough rock(in fact it IS possible to dig trough rock with shovel, lets say digging trough stone would be possible, but with 1/100 speed of normal digging.). The explosions would dig normally trough materials, decreasing their "force" as they travel trough, also when they are in-air their strenght would decrease.
Parent - - By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-03-15 20:37
Hi.

I have perhaps a suitable idea for make more randomly explosions.

Is create bullets-like particles who will go around and make randow holes (with set to them a limit, when they go after X2 the explosion scale they will be destroyed !).

But not visible and more than faster, of course...

They will make tiny holes (like 1 pixel !) but they will be like millions of them.

I think is can make the game a bit laggy whit a OMG explosion, but is can be a good idea, no ?
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2010-03-15 20:46
one-pixel particles would be too laggy and the mini-holes would be too much randomly so would not be able to aclimb the hole

but about 30-100 explosions about radius 20 pixels...
- By dylanstrategie [fr] Date 2010-03-15 20:57
Or a other thing, make the explosion (in circle, like today) and add less than 100 particles who create holes, but with the 1/10 power of the principal explosion.

Like for explosions make 50 hole, the particles make a 5 hole particle.

For big things, like atombomb, i don't know what is will make...

I think for the particles, the max will be 10 for a normal flint. But a guy can script more partciles with less explosion.

The problem is not really grimp on holes, holes not created for be escalade training, and skilled players can jump on tiny platforms for grimp...