Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Custom and dynamically expandable maps.
- - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-22 19:04
I think, that all maps should be dynamic. Yeah, you`re right, it would make creating scenarios/missions much more difficult., that is why mission maps would be generated other way. First there would be randomly generated base map (examples.: hills, flat ground, underground cave/caves, canyon, mountain), then randomly generated things like hills, caves, etc. and after that pre-made elements would be placed (example.: flat hill with two towers and castle at top, or big cave with floating island in center). That would highly increase missions replayablility. Also creating new dynamic maps should be enabled in-game with dynamic preview, and possibility to save algorythm and start game any moment.

I think, that everyone have been playing clonks for few hours at least once, and experienced 'end of place' problem. Every single map gets too small in the end, so I came up with this idea: Expandable maps! How? Just add a option to player menu: "Expand map", then player choose if he wants to expand map up, left, right, or down, then choose new map, that would be connected to existing one (like adding more islands to Floating islands map, or creating dungeons under Arctic map.) It would be a bit hard to expand map horizontaly, but I think you'll find some solution.

PS.: Sorry for any gramatical mistakes or any nonsenses, but I`m reading other people ideas on this forum for around 2-3 hours, and I`m already a bit confused.
Parent - - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-06-22 23:03
I thin kit is very weird to be able to extend maps from the menu in game. Like in a minor melee game, a player clicks expand map, and some islands appear to the left. :S   But I like the general idea. Maybe make the map expand itself if a player goes closer to the edge?
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-23 08:13
I tought about self-expanding map too, but it would quickly become too large and too memory-consuming, also map generation algorythms would require to be much more advanced, so expanded terrain would look like existing map, not like two maps connected to each other.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Custom and dynamically expandable maps.