Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Enemies
1 2 Previous Next
- - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-24 14:31
As in title. Because OpenClonk is going to be redesigned from scratch, and old enemies like monsters, sharks, snakes and wasps are out from this game there should be some new enemies. Post your suggestions here.

Here are some ideas from me:
-Spiders - lurking in shadows, at walls and ceilings they jump down onto their prey. When scared they do jump and walk walls, floors ceilings and even buildings.
-Trolls - Generally just three times bigger clonks, but aggresive and a bit slow
-Dragons - Appearing in many colors and sizes (young, old, ancient). Sometimes can be mounted, depends on scenario options. (Probably more fitting for an expansion pack)
-Clonk-eating plant - Unable to move, but spitting acid and throwing everything nearby at your clonks with its tentacles.
-Zombies - Aggresive remains of dead clonks.

Also think about AI, enemies should act simply, but deadly, and they should be fun to battle.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-06-24 15:28
Yes, enemies. I think the most important thing about enemies that you already mentioned is that they are fun to combat.
So it can already by something like an obstacle like an aggressive plant that attacks nearby Clonks. Or a bubbly little fiery thing with big and cute googly eyes that get so frightened if a Clonk approaches that it explodes ;-)
For "enemies" I don't think it is necessary that they are aggressive as such.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-24 15:38

> For "enemies" I don't think it is necessary that they are aggressive as such.

I should rather say: "Deadly when angered", but of course not too much, so they wont be *that* hard. I also think, that boss-like enemies that are hard to beat could fit the game. What about multiplayer raids with goal to kill single, but very big and powerfull monster? Best if players would have to take advantage of terrain modification to win. Good idea would be to create some enemies composed of many parts, that act separately, but also work together. An example: Giant golden statue with six arms, that do act separately, so down arms catch your clonks, and middle and upper arms throw stones at clonks that are further away?
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-06-24 17:28
I am not sure. I favor the idea of obstacle-like enemies more. If the players know, that in THIS cave there is the end-boss enemy, they would rather not build a big economy to produce powerful weapons but simply flood the cave. This is Clonk, you know? ;-)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 09:06

> [...] but simply flood the cave. This is Clonk, you know? ;-)

hmmm, I didn`t think about that. But you see... to flood the cave they would have to build a base, construct foundry, chop wood, mine copper and then produce pipes/wires (and that would need a building too), and also a windmill/power plant. So maybe the boss enemies should be at least partially immune to water. Also the caves could be so large, that it wont be possible to flood the cave (another idea would be to make a little hole at bottom of the cave, so the water won`t stay there. Players would have to lure monster to one end of cave, and then send someone to construct a bridge over the pit). And also some more fresh ideas from me.:
-No idea for a name - Strong one, can dig up and down, then he travels these tunnels with his four legs, and uses two hands to kill any Clonks that get into his territory.
-Ghost - He fights just as other Clonks, however every ten seconds he gets non-material and phases trough walls and floors. Strikes in most unexpected moments
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-24 15:54

>Yes, enemies. I think the most important thing about enemies that you already mentioned is that they are fun to combat.

I have quite a nice concept which I would really love to start implementing (to show it). But a bone system would make stuff a lot easier there :x
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-24 16:03
Of course 2D bonesystem? ;P
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-25 13:10
No.
Parent - By Shadow [de] Date 2009-06-24 16:07
Mh I hope ourt old friends the monsters (and all the others) come back into new style :C! But you'r ideas listen nice :)!
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-06-24 18:25
But the monsters, zaps, and sharks must not be taken out in OC! They are Clonkculture!
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-06-24 19:26
Uhm... i don't think so. Everything except the Clonks and the Flints can be changed, i think.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-06-24 19:59
Yes, a red ball that explodes on contact is an idea so unique and special that it is the core element of Clonk. We can change everything, but the flint must stay.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 09:08
I agree with you 100% - flints have to stay. Nothing else was like digging for a flint, and then missing your enemy ;P
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-06-25 13:35
That was sarcasm...
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 13:43
It doesn`t matter - I like flints, maybe they aren`t too realistic, but useful (And hate that dog-like creatures with stupid name (wipfs))
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-06-26 12:52
Wipf are more culture than flints. You can find flints in many games, but wipfs are a unique specification of clonk(culture).
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-06-26 13:23
o: where can i find clonk-a-like-flints? Flints existing since Clonk 1. Wipfs only since Clonk 3 (or so).
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-26 13:50
APE iirc.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-06-26 14:30 Edited 2009-06-26 16:27

>Wusstest du, ...
>Bild:Wipf.png...dass der Wipf nicht seit Clonk 1 besteht?
>
> Er erschien zum ersten Mal in Clonk APE, hatte dort aber noch nicht seine typischen Konturen. Erst in Clonk 4 bekam er sein typisches >Aussehen und ist seither das Wappentier von Clonk.

From the german Clonk-Wiki.

English Translation:
Did you know:
that the wipf did not exist since clonk 1?

It first appeared in Clonk APE, but did not look like now. It first became its typical look at Clonk 4.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-26 15:49
I am sure Asmageddon can totally understand that.. Would you please add an english translation since this is an english forum? :)
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-27 12:29

>[...]Would you please add an english translation since this is an english forum? :)

Don`t worry, we have Google Translate, maybe translated text doesn`t have any sense, but it is possible to decode what you meant.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-27 14:09
So we can switch the forum to german, because you got google translator? :)
It's a lot less effort for him to translate his post into english than for you (and everyone else) to use the google translator
Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-26 17:55
So Clonk 3 is totally wrong ;)
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-06-26 20:03
Wasn't APE an advanced Clonk 3?
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-26 22:44

>The Advanced Players Edition was released after Clonk 2 as an extended version of the original game. It was the first version to contain a player roster, scenario options, snow, loam, and wipf and zap creatures.

-> No.
Parent - - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-06-24 20:11
We could also find for every enemy in CR a new object in OC.
Zaps->Spiders (little, only on the floor, only in swarms).
Monster->Troll/Oger
and so on.

I like pretty much the idea of a Clonk-Eating-Plant, as the Worm of the new Hazard for CR, but less agressive.
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 09:09
Hmmm, that's some idea to exchange old monsters with some new ones.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-25 13:11
But Trolls aren't "friedliebende grĂ¼ne Zeitgenossen" :(!
Parent - - By Methos [de] Date 2009-06-25 09:15
Why not aggressive wipfs?
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 09:31
Really - I never liked wipfs, they have stupid name, and are.... hmmm.... err, I just do not like them.
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-25 13:12
Wipf! D:
Parent - - By Travis Date 2009-06-25 20:10
I think the word "wipf" sounds just good in german.
Parent - By Shadow [de] Date 2009-06-25 21:02
yeah Wipfs are pretty nice cute animals D:!
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-26 12:56
It is not something personal, but(at least in my country) German isn`t considered a nice-sounding language.

PS.: I also do not like Polish.
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-06-26 13:04
But this is simply an effect of get used to a language. For example here in Germany there are many Peaple who call French a "gay language". So best solution is in my point of opinion simply get used to names. :)
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-26 13:14
Yeah, you`re probably right, but I think that all names should be english-styled to avoid problems like that. (I personally love japanese-styilized names, but I doubt if they would fit Clonk)
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-06-26 12:54
This statemant may made you some enemys...... at last some of "Greenpeace" .
Parent - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-26 13:16
I never killed a single wipf!*

<small font>
*I always kill bunches of them at a time.
</small font>
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-06-25 10:47
Dunno. Half of these ideas come out of the standard fantasy RPG-set (Trolls & Spiders). Zombies are a bit..genre bound. The enemies in Clonk should stay more animal like and less magic beings.
In addition I favoured the unknown or vague names like Monster or Wipf (and I do really like the Wipfs ;) for OC I would give them a little more AI like fleeing from Clonks and fire and no random digging but forming some kind of den).
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 11:16
No, no and no - animal enemies? That would be too cruel, also fantasy monsters would be more challenging than animal enemies, and also killing a mindless zombie would be less cruel than killing animals.

And what's the problem, that these enemies are Fantasy-themed - they are meant to be challenging and fun to combat!
Also I think, that you will keep magic (especially enchanting items), as it is (as for me) *very* important part of Clonk, so when there will be magic monsters like that would fit OC very good.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-06-25 11:28

> No, no and no - animal enemies?

Yes, yes ;) Clonks are cruel and animal hating beings (except Wipfs - they do really like Wipfs for money making reasons)!
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 12:30
No, I just do not like current enemies, only sharks are ok, but need to learn swimming better. Oh, and zaps too (but there should be a way to fight them)
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-06-25 14:04

>(but there should be a way to fight them)

Explosions and water kill them.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-25 14:41

>No, no and no - animal enemies? That would be too cruel, also fantasy monsters would be more challenging than animal enemies, and also killing a mindless zombie would be less cruel than killing animals.

I say, if we want to have new enemies, we should invent them ourselves. Neither take some standard rpg-foes (zombies, spiders, ..) nor take real animals. More animals in the direction of Wipfs and Monsters - having an own style and being unique
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-25 14:50
Maybe you`re right... but spider-like enemies should get into OC, they are just good idea (in my opinion)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-06-25 16:00
Why? Just because they look like spiders? :)
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-06-25 17:29
Because spiders are scary. D:
Parent - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-06-26 12:57
Spiders are boring. Spider->ClonkStep->Dead . No realy danger... but monsters made it otherwise Clonk->Monsterstep->Hurt :D
Parent - - By Travis Date 2009-06-25 20:21
But it's important that the Clonks can use/tame those for the combat. Like a Troll that you can ride or just follows you to the enemys. Or spiders/plants that you can shoot to the enemy's base.
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-06-26 12:58
Good idea, I like it, but there is a little problem - how should taming them look like?
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Enemies
1 2 Previous Next