Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Splitscreen and controls
- - Date 2009-07-15 11:28
Parent - - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-14 22:50
Heh, so much for the changing if the concept of clonk... And still you (not you, the community) complained like hell to me when I wanted to keep the features that really make clonk a good game. The flexibility such as hot seat split screen play for instance, and the ability  to play with one hand. I was complained on, you (again the community) said that I was against changing the very roots of clonk concept. Silly.
Parent - - By Sven2 [us] Date 2009-07-14 23:07
There will always be people who want to change something and others who want to keep it the way it was. Doesn't mean the change-people will always win.

I took the one-hand-playing into consideration when building the new player control system. It's flexible enough to allow you to set keyboard combinations (such as the classic double-dig, double stop, stop-stop-throw, etc.) for actions that might otherwise be put on a single key. I.e., the default may become something spread out over the keyboard, but if you insist, you can build configurations for four people on one keyboard.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-15 11:20
Yeah, that is good. =) Keeping clonks flexibility and being able to please a lot of different players has IMO always been clonks strongest point. And I don't say that to be conservative. Example: If clonk changes to a exclusively fast pased game with only fast melees and intensive controls including the mouse and key sover the whole keyboard, you are going to lose a lot of players. Equally, if you change it to only a slow pased settlement kinda game, you are also going to lose players. CR Was very flexible in many ways (the splitscreen only being one part of it) and that is why so many people like it.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-07-14 23:14
Will you please stop complaining? As said before, as said many many times it is a matter of argumentation and considering the pros and contras of any feature to be replaced or to introduce. You may argue about anything. The only demand was that the arguments "it's a basic element of clonk" or "it was like that since ever" are not very grave.
As you see, Matthias' posting does not bring such an argument because he considers other ways but in the moment of writing was not able to imagine anything that makes sense and enhances the gameplay more than flints. That's not the "It was and it has to be." argumentation.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-15 11:24
I don't mean to be bad, but I was just complaining about the tone that I recieved before when I argumented about the thing I anwered to sven2 two posts up. I argumented, I didn't just say that is "had always been that", or that it "is just a basic element of clonk". The replies I got was very "AW YOU CANT DO THAT! that will totally be in the way when whe totally change clonk to something completely new! Can't you get it?! This is not CR! Go play CR if you liked it that waY!". And after that, people are argumenting for keeping flints as being a thing that has always been in clonk? Sorry if you disagree and feel that I am annoying, but for me at least, that seems weird.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-14 23:17
Who ever had the idea to remove spilt-screen multiplayer? That's ridiculous. Just because big gaming companies think gamers are shut ins who have no friends (or brothers) to play with, and are all stinking rich enough for everyone to have their own computer... doesn't mean that it's true.

Well to be fair, both of my brothers which live relatively near home have their own computers, but they're desktops. It's such a ridiculous inconvenience to actually set up these computers without throwing a breaker; it's so much simpler to just run a split screen game on the largest monitor.

EDIT: This is kind of going off topic... :S
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-07-14 23:29
Just a short statement:
Those thoughts didn't appear from nowhere. The consideration were about the great possibilites a more mouse basing control system would have. But that would destroy the splitscreen of course (more or less - more than one mouse may be possible).
But today it's more common to play with more than one computer via LAN or internet. And it's quite easier to do that with Clonk today than it was back then with Clonk 4 (or Clonk 3?).
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-15 11:27
I agree with you. Split screen is more simple as it requires no set up at all, and it feels more social than sitting at one computer each IMO. Then there is of course people that don't own a computer.

Btw, split screen has made it possible for me to introduce like 4-5 people to clonk. Like when you are idling at some friends that doesn't have two computers (not unusual), then download clonk and prepare for some fun hours. ^^
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-07-14 23:37
Watch your tone, zagabar. Trolls are not welcome here.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-15 11:28
Sorry if I am looking like a troll, I can ensure you that that isn't my intention.
Up Topic General / General / Splitscreen and controls