Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / "Round" world (go to right, come from left)
- - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-07-15 19:55
I've seen some scenarios on Rage (and maybe also on earlier games), where you could move out of the map border and then teleport to the other side of the map. But there were some problems. The camera didn't move to the other side smoothly. See the picture:

We could make this better. Imagine if this whole thing would be 100% smooth, so that you wouldn't even notice the end of the map. See this mock up:

This would simulate a spherical a world (e.g. [small] planet) and enable nice possibilities for scenario design. The feature wouldn't be activated on every scenario, but it would be nice in many of them. You could for example play a melee with three players, where nobody would be the center one / in middle of two enemies.

I don't know how to code this, but I think it wouldn't be too hard. Many games has a similar thing implemented.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2009-07-15 19:58
Yes, I already thought about a smooth repeting of the map. It would be ery nice in some cases, when you want to make a "two-dimensional-round-map".
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2009-07-15 20:04
That's a very old feature request. It wasn't done because it was considered too tedious to implement. You'd have to change almost everything that works with coordinates to make the seam unnoticable. It might make sense to implement the trivial and obvious stuff to motivate other people to finish the tedious rest, but it very well might not.
Parent - By Sven2 [us] Date 2009-07-15 20:07
I had actually implemented the graphical part and the simple object wrap once (i.e., ignore BorderBound and teleport out-of-map objects instead of removing them). But then I realized how much work it would really be and scrapped it.

Admittedly, I might have kept the code if we had had the distributed version control system back then ;)
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-07-15 20:27
Would indeed be very neat. Especially when there is three players in a melee as you said. =)
Parent - - By Shadow [de] Date 2009-07-15 21:17
That is not really practically for scenarios in the Cofut style I think… Into this szens you had to deffend one side. With integration of your idea this will be really bad for szens into this style.
Parent - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-07-15 21:21

>The feature wouldn't be activated on every scenario, but it would be nice in many of them.

Maybe as a rule or scenario-preset.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-07-15 21:22
I might be wrong, but I think this is what he covered with

>The feature wouldn't be activated on every scenario, but it would be nice in many of them.

Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2009-07-16 13:47
good idea. so you have a round planet. if you dig deep enough, will you get to the other side of the planet? this could be fixed by a aquifuge (verry hard rock, like granit, only harder. not to dig, not to blast) which is verry deep. if you make it through this, youll get to the center of the planet :D

i see it coming... nograv. you could make sattelites surrounding the planet. :D
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2009-07-16 15:22
The best would be if you know in what direction you must run in Mountain Combat. In a lot of scens I run in the wrong direction. :(
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / "Round" world (go to right, come from left)