Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Object movement
- - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-18 20:56
My idea is simple: A more realistic movement and a bigger interaction of objects with the landscape.

-Objects which hit the terrain with high speed will dig free some material, even dig a bit into hard materials. The higher the speed and mass of an object -> more damage to the landscape.
-Objects will get destroyed at a certain speed, so small splitters of them are flying around and damaging clonks and wildlife, rocks could spread rock-material. We (not me :D) could implent a new DefCore value of "Rigidity" or normal objects can take damage. After getting enought damage, it gets destroyed. The splitter should be temporary objects, generated by the engine, taking the graphics of the object, cutting it randomly in, if possible equal tiles, adding a vertex and calculating the mass (object's mass/amount of splitters). It should fade out after a time.
-The impacts of those quick objects could make blast damage to everything in it's near. We just need some other sound (a loud dull impact on earth?) and some material and particles flying around. But damage to buildings would need a very hard impact of a heavy object, maybe casting some junk particles, like wood or rocks.
-Objects should get slower when moving trough liquids.

I don't want to hear anyone saying: "Do it yourself." I want feedback if some of those ideas would be implentible and how it might change gameplay... Thank you for reading this. :)
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2009-07-18 21:54
I like the idea.
In the water, there could be the destroyment of the objects lower, because for example the rock moves down slowly, and then hits the ground, but not so hard.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-07-18 23:15

> Objects which hit the terrain with high speed will dig free some material, even dig a bit into hard materials. The higher the speed and mass of an object -> more damage to the landscape.

I think this idea might be worth a try. It's already possible to implement this in script: The Hit-Callback has two parameters containing the x- and the y-speed of the object. Thats everything you need to calculate the absolute velocity and the direction.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 09:36
Or just using the Hit2/3/4 Callbacks.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-07-19 09:50
Hit2 and Hit3 are always called in addition to the lower speed callbacks. There is no Hit4.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 09:52
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-07-19 09:52
That's an OCF, no script callback.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 09:53
I know... but I thought if there is such an OCF, there might be an equal callback...
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-07-19 09:55
There is none. The purpose of that OCF is to signify that the object will enter a FlatUp action on impact, if such action exists.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 09:58
Kinda stupid, if I want a Clonk temporary not to flat up at high speeds.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2009-07-19 10:01
Add a StartCall to your FlatUp action, the speeds aren't yet cleared when the action is set.
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 10:12
You see, you have to modify the ActMap. But if you want to do it temporary as I said?
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-07-19 18:19
Then you put a check in the StartCall. I know, you want ActMap #appendto or OOP actmap stuff.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 18:45
Right, exactly like DefCore #appendto. :I
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-07-19 11:15
OCFs like that remind me: We could remove some of the unnecessary OCF both to free up space for more important ones to be added later, and to save some computation time.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-07-19 18:21
Phew, I'd like to remove those HitSpeed-OCFs completely. Do we need them for anything, a Find_Speed() function and GetX/YDir() couldn't replace?
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2009-07-19 20:02
They're used internally; e.g. to speed up the object cross check.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-19 09:56
Now I've noticed, that it would be stupid to work with such a low accuracy...
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2009-07-19 01:03
Yes, that sounds nice! It would certainly make melees very funny with lots of improvised weapons (and the enemy couldn't fire your rocks back at you :-D). Forcefield vs. blimp might be funny to watch as well
Parent - - By Enrique [mx] Date 2009-07-20 17:38
But also better physics are necessary. So a movement of an object could be influenced by the landscape. The easiest example is in Sty:

If you shoot an eratharrow and shot with a gun an object under it, all impact will lost and the object will stop immediately instead of losing a bit speed and changing the movementdirection.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-07-20 17:40
That's one reason for the polygon landscape
Parent - - By Asmageddon [pl] Date 2009-07-27 12:12
And add possibility for living beings to get pierced at some speed.... I would really like to see some innocent clonks exploding with gore after getting hit with a rock. Muahahaha
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-27 13:16
Yeah, OC could be a candidate for a 12 or 16 years - rating (USK) and we would be free of little b00ns straying around the community. Oo
Parent - - By Travis Date 2009-07-27 13:21
But then you have to turn the whole game content upside down, just adding gore doesn't change a community.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-27 13:24
Right... it was just a joke.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-27 15:10
It would be quite simple to make Clonks spurt guts and blood when they die in Clonk Rage. Just... nobody has done it.
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Object movement