Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [model] chemlab
- - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-01-04 16:00 Edited 2012-01-04 16:15
Here's something I thought up.
Attachment: chemlab.png (87k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-01-05 20:40 Edited 2012-01-05 20:42
It looks so much like a chemical workshop (ck: "Experimentiertisch"). I'd like an approach better that looks more like a.... hmm... "device", it's difficult to explain... like something that works on it's own.

Here, some inspiration. That's the direction I imagine the chem lab should go. But perhaps with more glass tubes instead of brass tubes.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-01-05 21:26
Well, isn't that implemented in Matthias approach? Maybe add a bullseye to look into the tank.
I like it.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-01-05 22:54
I wanted something with more glass as well, but how do I visualize glass in oc? however, I like your inspirations. might have another go at it soon
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-01-06 00:54

>but how do I visualize glass in oc?

Transparent texture with some scratches, cracks and stains?
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-04-23 21:42
To not scatter stuff around topic, I put fungiforms sketches here.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-04-24 12:09
What about the model you started? Its not in the repository
Parent - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-04-24 13:19
I agree wholly, the one with the huge glass looks the best.  I'll see what I can do :)
Parent - - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-05-01 23:34 Edited 2012-05-02 14:43
I thought it would be good to post the progress I have now, as it is going slower than I originally expected.

I want to get rid of the glass sphere and put a better one there, I have a few ideas for it but so far do not know which to go with.  I will attempt to make the bullseye in the texture, if that doesnt work out I'll put it in the model.  Tomorrow I will be putting the finish touches on the model, and replacing the glass sphere, then begin work on the texture.

P.S.
For anyone interested, the .blend file can be downloaded here; https://www.box.com/s/ed7166323d27520cbf6f
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-05-02 12:45
Hm, just a random thought: Could we have the two containers closer together, ideally connected? Right now it looks like it could just break apart easily.

Good job otherwise.
Parent - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-05-02 14:41
Thats a good thought, I brought the two containers closer together.
Parent - - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-06-17 21:31
Hello, it has been awhile again, this time I have bad news.  Due to several unexpected events I find myself unable to finish this model.  I do not expect to be able to return here until next summer, though as this summer has proven to me, that can change in a flash.  I have quickly uploaded all the images and files I have, some may not even be used, I did it in a hurry.  You can download these at: https://www.box.com/s/3541d2cb4ba46ff73eda

I apologize for this, things just didn't work out.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-06-17 21:52
Whatever happened, good luck with everything!
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-06-17 22:11 Edited 2012-06-17 22:17
What happened, Heyub?

Regarding your work in progress: The model you made can't be used for OpenClonk unless you license your work under the CC-BY 3.0 license. You can do this by just saying so, f.e. "I hereby license the file XYZ under the CC-BY license".
Parent - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-06-17 22:54
I hereby license the file
chemiststation.zip
under the CC-BY 3.0 license

I can't say what it is because everything, friends, family, career, health, and more which I do not care to mention, contribute to the cause.  If there is anything else you  need please let me know.
Attachment: chemiststation.zip (2643k)
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-06-17 22:19
Sorry to hear that :( But thanks for your work! As Newton said, we need an explicit licensing statement from you.
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-06-18 08:08
Good Luck! Hope things work out for you.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-05-03 22:41
bump. There were some neat elements in your first model, perhaps they would give some inspiration in order to refine the new model by Heyub.
Parent - - By Heyub [us] Date 2012-05-20 02:38
Reading this post many days ago I did look and think about which elements I could try to keep, considering the vast differences there wasnt much I could keep.  I did like the hazard sign and the sheet metal being used in a manner that looked to be without method.

I have much work to do still, but here is my progress.  The wooden shingles don't look quite right, I plan to fix those or replace them with another texture, I do plan to try out a few different roof  materials.  I plan to have the muffler a different metal color along with the other thing to the left of it (I'll just call it a smoke stack for sake of simplicity.)  The glass and metal textures for the cylinder and glass sphere look pixelated, I will have to work on correcting this.  The bullseye has taken the back burner during most of this texturing... I will add it eventually.  As for the glass, before I add transparency I need to do some homework on ogre.

Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-05-20 03:57
Ah, nice :)
- - By Andriel Date 2012-11-01 23:08 Edited 2012-11-02 11:16
As I complained about the chemlab some time ago, I thought it is best to start right off myself. This is my progress so far. I've implemented some ideas from Fungiforms sketches above, like the bullseye and the tap-like thing. I'm unsure about the valve-hatch at the huge glass container, it doesn't look quite right. The glass surely needs a better texture as a further step, along with some other things. (Someone said transparency isn't possible in OC?) But anyway, please share your thoughts and tell me what you think of it!
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-01 23:36
I still think it looks way better than the old one, which wasn't quite what I had hoped for in looks.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-02 02:00 Edited 2012-11-02 02:05
Looking good. I wasn't really happy with the existing chemlab either, but didn't want to complain since there are other things that still have no model at all.

Alpha mapping (transparency) is totally possible in OC (see Scene.material section). However, making glass look like actual glass is only possible with specular shaders, which OC doesn't support. I suggest just following what I've already done; make it a transparent blue. For an example check out the airplane's cockpit.

Glass also doesn't need to be transparent; it only has to look good, not emulate reality. I suggest doing this:
For the window on the tank, keep that opaque. Perhaps try a similar effect to what I did with the Alchemist Clonk's goggles (at bottom right), but maybe have the glass closer to RGB(210,50,100). Have the tank something like 60% opacity with the same colour as the window. You could paint on some faux-specular shine on the diffuse texture.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-02 13:52 Edited 2012-11-09 08:08
Thanks for your advise, I tried to realize it as best as I could! I think I failed a bit at the window spec stuff, but it doesn't look too bad, also, you can always edit the texture. I love the colour of the glass, I can imagine it glowing at night. I really had some trouble with exporting this, when i opened the file in 2.49b, there were no faces and no UV-map. I tried the 2.5 exporter, but it just didn't find my XML-Converter file. So I just exported it as .obj in 2.5 and imported it in 2.49b, worked fine.
I attached the exported files and an ingame screenshot.
PS: There seems to be something wrong with the little picture in the hammer-menu, it is not as big and 3D as the other buildings, I don't know why.
EDIT: See last post for updated files
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-02 21:28
I like it. :D
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-03 02:40
Whoops; I read the HSV values in GIMP instead of RGB. Haha. Did not intend the colour to be fuchsia. :I

There is some weirdness in the model: the cistern shouldn't be squashed, and it shouldn't have any backfaces removed.

Here are some suggestions:
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-03 19:21
Nice look. :D
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-04 00:08 Edited 2012-11-09 08:09
Ok, i changed model and textures according to your tips:
-Cistern is now round and has backfaces
-New rust texture
-Rims added
-Painted some soot stains on the metal texture
-Improved chimney?(I didn't know exactly what you meant with "Remove pirtch by flaring out the chimney", so I just modelled what you painted ;))
-Better scratches on the glass
I think it looks strange that the window to an unlighted container is light blue, so I made it a darker blue.
Also the chemlab is now 3700% less awesome because of missing fuchsia colours. I agree with you that this colour might not fit in the OC universe, but the window should at least turn pink when producing something! :D
I finally got the blend file more or less working, so I will attach it too.
EDIT: See latest post for updated files.
Parent - By Armin [de] Date 2012-11-04 00:30
I think yellow is better (if a color is needed for that).
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-04 01:10
Now clonks can cook amphetamine to enhance their fighting skills!
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-04 02:14
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-04 03:11
Haha, this is awesome! :D
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-11-04 09:36
Love it!

Only 8 more episodes though :(
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-04 02:45
Very cool! It's looking much better now.

Try changing the pass Scene.material to this. Should give you better lighting in game. Also, for the grunge on the metal, set it to "Overlay" drawing; that way it won't look like solid paint covering the details. (I'm assuming whatever program you're using has Overlay drawing mode :I)

I took a look at the UV-map, and it's freaking me out. Your modelling is pretty good, but in the future try to keep your UV's very clean and understandable.

Have a look at the Shipyard's texture in the game files (currently it is nothing but a UV-map): cleanly spaced islands in a logical manner. Always fully unwrap the model before you begin to texture anything; don't use the texture as a "material library" which you sample the same space from multiple times, it makes it very difficult to change later. For the Chemlab I'd say just keep it as is, because I know how much of a pain it is to totally redo a texture.

Also notice the scale of the shipyard's texture; you don't need a whole lot of pixels for it to look good in OC. Start by painting at 256^2px next time, instead of painting high-res and scaling down after (much less work involved that way).
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-05 14:06

>Try changing the pass Scene.material to this. Should give you better lighting in game. Also, for the grunge on the metal, set it to "Overlay" drawing; that way it won't look like solid paint covering the details. (I'm assuming whatever program you're using has Overlay drawing mode :I)

Thank you, great tips! (before and after)

>I took a look at the UV-map, and it's freaking me out. Your modelling is pretty good, but in the future try to keep your UV's very clean and understandable.

It is the UV-map from the original, I didn't want to redo it because I don't have the original textures. If I make one on my own, i will of course keep it clean ;-)

>Also notice the scale of the shipyard's texture; you don't need a whole lot of pixels for it to look good in OC. Start by painting at 256^2px next time, instead of painting high-res and scaling down after (much less work involved that way).

Hm, why? Isn't it easier to paint 1024² and scale it down to 512² or 256² afterwards? Instead of noticing that it is to small and not being able to make it bigger without having it pixelated?
Attachment: before.png (326k)
Attachment: after.png (351k)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-06 02:14
Looks great! The only thing I can remark upon is the wonkyness of the whistle/chimney at the top. As soon as that it cleaned up, I have nothing else to criticize. :)

>It is the UV-map from the original

Oh! Well that explains it. I hope I didn't sound too condescending, then. :o

Well, if you make the mistake of painting at too low a resolution then I guess that could cause a lot of trouble. However, anything over 256^2 is going to be sufficient for pretty much anything in OpenClonk unless it covers like, half the screen. :D

You can get an insane amount of detail into a very small texture if you do it right. For example: model, texture.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-07 16:53

>The only thing I can remark upon is the wonkyness of the whistle/chimney at the top.

I thought we want wonkyness in OC? How shall I improve the whistle?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-08 01:58
Hah, not that kind of wonkyness. The cone on the whistle looks as though it is reading the UV-map from an incorrect location. When it should be displaying a rusty metal it looks to be drawing the chemical cistern's colours. Also, for the rest of the whistle you should use the same rusted metal as the pipe leading into the cistern.
- - By Andriel Date 2012-11-08 18:57
Done. (I think)
-Improved rust textures
-Texture is now 512x512
-Added UV-coordinates for some little parts
-other stuff I don't remember

Unfortunately, there is no ingame-screenshot this time because I couldn't convince Eclipse to update the texture.
Thank you for your support Ringwaul, if you compare my first version to this one you will see how much it helped!
I attached the zipped game files (mesh, material and texture) and the Blender 2.49b file.

I hereby license the files Chemlab_ingame_files.zip and chemlab_improved.blend under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Chemlab_ingame_files.zip (486k)
Attachment: chemlab_improved.blend (234k)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-09 04:38
Good work, Andriel.

Made a few little changes, and pushed to the repos in your name. I guess this means Newton has to put you in the credits now. ^_^
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [model] chemlab