Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Wipf :]
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-28 04:13 Edited 2009-07-28 07:47
Because I love Wipfs, and there has been question of what's going to be in OpenClonk, I decided to start work on a Wipf. It certainly isn't finished yet (polycount is bad for lowpoly), and I intend to finish an optimized low-poly model and create a high poly model for 2D renders.

Right now, I'd just like to show the work I've done so far. I think I've made it quite accurate, but C&C is certainly appreciated.

Edit:
I've finished the base model so it's not just a head anymore. Made in Anim8or, rendered in blender.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-07-28 11:18
Do you have already an animation? :o
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-28 15:20
Sadly no D:

If I figure out how to connect armatures, I could make the animations myself.
Parent - By tinu [ch] Date 2009-07-28 12:05
looks very wipfy, like it
Parent - - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-28 15:45
Hum, very nice, but I would say, it has to be a bit... fatter. :]
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-28 18:59
I plumped the Wipf up a bit. Also, after figuring out how to create a proper armature, I fully rigged the Wipf and made a couple animations... Running, Jumping, Dying, and an Idle animation where the Wipf scratches at the ground with it's paw. :3

I am wondering though... can Blender animations be used in OpenClonk?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-07-28 19:00

>can Blender animations be used in OpenClonk?

Have a look at this post!
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-28 21:17 Edited 2010-01-08 21:47
I've tried using the ogre exporter but it won't let me export my wipf model because I have Vertex Groups enabled on the Wipf. I don't know why this is the case, but when I remove the Vertex Group Modifier it lets me export it. Also works for any other model that doesn't use vertex groups.

I have Python 2.5.4, so I can't understand why this doesn't work for me.

edit: I updated the Wipf's Vertex Groups and armature; there shouldn't be any vertex stretches now. Also added a couple new animations.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-02 05:37
Now that I've got the OGRE exporter working properly, I've got the finished wipf with animations now. Supplied below...

Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2009-09-03 15:43
You forgot to add the *.material file. Without it i can't test the wipf ingame.

It would also be nice to have the .blend file so the model can be modified.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-09-03 22:33
sorry about that. This was one of the first models I did with the OGRE format, so mistakes are bound to happen.

Anyways, here are the files.

Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-09-30 02:29
Just wanted to update this now that I've finished the wipf texture. Animation could still improve, though.

Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-09-30 13:30
Whoa, the texture http://hg.openclonk.org/openclonk-resources/raw-file/678e916e5705/models/wipf/wipf-uv.png looks great, UV mapping is done flawlessly too! Soo cute! How did you do the fur?

I think we only need a texture in the size of something like max. 256x256 for the ingame object. It can't be bad to have it bigger in the resources folder though.
How I calculate what size the texture should have minimum:
Three times the original size of the ingame object - for the wipf this should be not more than ca. 64x64. Because the texture is mapped not only on the side but also on the top, front, back, other side etc. I multiply it roughly (less than) the number of sides from where it can be seen. Four 64x64 fit into 128x128, this should be about enough.
Now, nobody cares two hoots about if the texture is actually more detailed than it has to be. Just a quick note than you could save a little bit of that kind of work if you want to.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-09-30 19:16
I did the fur one hair at a time; considering they're a bit larger than real hairs would be though. Shaded dark lines between the hairs and made some more 30px shading over the fur.

Scaling the texture shouldn't be hard though.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-01-10 14:24
I got the same errors as with implementing the shark:

Error loading graphics of C:\OpenClonk\planet\Objects.c4d\Animals.c4d\Shark.c4d (SHRK)
Failed to read material script: Wipf.material:9: Unexpected identifier: 'vertex_program_ref'
Failed to load mesh: Graphics.mesh.xml:3: There is no such material named 'Wipf'

Files are from the resource repository.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-01-10 14:27

> Failed to read material script: Wipf.material:9: Unexpected identifier: 'vertex_program_ref'

This defines a custom vertex shader for the Wipf. Again, this is not yet implemented in Clonk. Does the Wipf really require a shader?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2010-01-11 17:25
Of course, it needs realistic hair!!!
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-11 19:00
I don't think the vertex shader affects the hair, it was just for better viewing in blender.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Wipf :]