Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Shark
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-30 17:48 Edited 2009-08-05 21:19
Well, right now I'm almost finished the shark Model I've been working on. However, I would like to know which eyes I should apply to the final model...

1. Cartoonish/Classic Clonk Eyes
or
2. Realistic Eyes

Bear in mind that these cartoonish eyes are good for visibility, but may look ridiculous while zoomed in closely. The realistic eyes, however, will likely appear as just a white&black line unless zoomed in.

PS. Sorry for crappy picture quality, but I'm on really terrible internet...

---
Finished

The shark.zip contains the completed shark. If you would like to script the shark for OC, you can use the bundled files in the .zip (low poly shark.mesh.xml with fitting animations and a high-poly portrait)

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: Shark.zip (31k)
Attachment: Shark.material (2k)
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2009-07-30 17:53
For now I like the cartoon eyes better. Looks great!
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-30 20:14
Well, got a fully rigged Low-Poly shark now. I also made Swim, Turn, and Bite animations which are quite smooth due to the incredibly simple bone structure.

Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2009-07-30 20:33
i really like this one. cartoony eyes are imo no problem and fit into the clonk-style. btw are you really fast with making models and animations :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-30 20:53
Thanks :] I agree that they certainly fit the Clonk style. I had thought people might think they look ridiculous when you can see them so well. (Personally, I think they're hilarious as it looks like the shark has been taking drugs)

I can thank Anim8or for my modelling, I've been using it for years so I must have gotten quite fast. Of course I'm quite horrible at making models in blender. xD
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-07-30 20:52
Can you make a wireframe?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-30 20:59
Sure. I had to view it in Edit mode because it kept hiding certain edges in Object Mode.

Parent - By Simsi [de] Date 2009-07-30 22:09
Maybe you could still save some polygones at the teeth (plane with alpha-map) or at the back, there are many small polygones, I think.
But I like the style of it, fits totally to clonk.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-31 14:03
Well, I did manage to optimize the low poly sharks tail... however, when I joined the alpha-mapped-teeth they wouldn't appear at all during render. So I reverted to polygonal teeth until I find a solution.

Until then, I've got some snazzy screens of the high poly shark.

Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-07-31 14:40
So bright and shining like a shark out of silver! Thats kinda cool...
Parent - - By MimmoO Date 2009-07-31 15:02
i think its much too shiny. i liked the texture you used in your verry first post in this topic. maybe with some noise like the last one.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-31 15:27
Hmm, yes, the shinyness does seem a bit overdone for a real shark. xD

Well, made the shark darker and matte.

Parent - By MimmoO Date 2009-07-31 15:31
looks fine. and for making this post not too spammy, ill ask if you want to join #clonkdev for discussion about everything and more.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-07-31 16:57
Managed to complete the low-poly model now. With a tip from ModernClonker, I was able to make the alpha texture appear properly for the shark's teeth.

Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-02 06:07
I've got the finished Shark now in .xml format, along with it's animations.

I'm aware it will be a while before animals like the shark will be implemented, but when someone wants to script the shark, you download it from the first post.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-03 09:51
What kind of XML format? Does it have a name? .obj is iirc also XML.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-03 10:55
Oh, sorry- it's in .mesh.xml format.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2009-10-07 17:42
Can you push the model file into the resources repository?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-07 19:10
I should be able to after I get out of school in around 5 hours. Now that I look back at this model there are a couple things that could be fixed; though it's a fairly low polycount already as I recall.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2010-01-10 00:01
I tried to implement it for OC, but got these errors:

Failed to read material script: Shark.material:0: 'Skin' unexpected
Failed to load mesh: Graphics.mesh.xml:3: There is no such material named 'Mouth'
  Error loading graphics of C:\OpenClonk\planet\Objects.c4d\Animals.c4d\Shark.c4d (SHRK)

Does someone know what causes these?

Work so far can be found at my bitbucket repo.
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2010-01-10 01:07 Edited 2010-01-10 01:37
Clonk does not yet implement all features of OGRE material scripts, so my guess is missing engine support. I'll have a look.

[Edit]:

OK, three things to point out:

• Your material script contains a material with a space in its name. The OGRE documentation states that "If you include spaces in the name, it must be enclosed in double quotes." Yours is not enclosed in quotes though. If this is what an exporter generated, then I'd think this is a bug in the exporter. Even if it was enclosed by quotes, the engine is not going to load it since there is no support for this yet (should be easy to implement, though). So I suggest to simply use a material name without spaces for now.
  • The "Teeth" material contains two statements (scene_blend alpha_blend, depth_write off) which are not yet supported, so that material probably won't be loaded either. I don't understand what it's for though: All ambient, diffuse, specular and emissive have 0 alpha component, so it would not show up anyway, would it?
  • The engine does not yet support multiple submeshes, either. I think it will just load the first one. Again, I don't think it is too much effort to get support for this in.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2010-01-10 06:01
There should only be one material (the UV-texture) for the shark anyways. Only the hi-poly shark model uses mutiple materials iirc (can't check now, I don't have blender on my new computer :/ ).
Parent - By Maikel Date 2010-01-10 11:43
No need to hurry, I'll try to script the Wipf.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Shark