Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Name of our first title (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2009-09-13 23:54
How about Uberclonk? Wait, no.
Parent - - By mizipzor [se] Date 2009-10-22 15:53
I registered on the forums now just to voice my opinion on this because, sadly, I feel quite strongly about it, for some reason.

OpenClonk is the best by far, IMO.

Its easy to remember.
Its very informative of what the project is about.
It will show up on searches for someone specifically looking for an open source variant of Clonk.

The arguments above comes from the fact that there are many open source and cross platform rewrites of games on the internet. Most of them (if not all?) follow the naming system of OpenX, where X is the name (sometimes abbreviated as in OpenTTD) of the game to be rewritten.

Also, OpenClonk is the engine itself, is it not? Going for a WTF status, laugh/giggle provoking and funny-funny sparkly-sparkly name is IMO in the interest of the modules/worlds/levels (whatever they are to be called) upon their creation. I think those names have a valid reason to strive for something unique and non-bland.

I mean, OpenClonk is what this project is. Why call it something else? You dont go "everyone keeps calling the carrots just carrots, thats bland... from now on I will call all my carrots tomatoes! That is unique and fun".

Besides, people interested in contributing to an open source Clonk will look for "OpenClonk". If this project changes name it will not take long for a branch to be created with the OpenClonk name just for its ability to attract attention and interested developers.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-10-22 19:26
You really should have read the trademark license linked in Guenther's posting (the first of this thread).

[...] and you must subtitle your project with the term 'An OpenClonk project'.

As Atomclonk mentioned: the outcome will be: "OpenClonk - an OpenClonk project"
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2009-10-22 19:44
I still think we should ask matthes if this applies to a project that is actually called "OpenClonk".
Parent - By mizipzor [se] Date 2009-10-22 20:01
I did, i just skipped the mandatory subtitle since it was... well, mandatory. :p

But I did have the feeling that this might have already been settled. I checked the announcement page but saw no official decision about the name. Hence, I assumed one was still encouraged to share his opinion.
Parent - By MimmoO Date 2009-10-29 12:17
yes, "OpenClonk - an OpenClonk project" sounds not the best, but i dont think that matters. the full name of something is not always the best, and this is why things a re called other. i dont think that people would say "Hey lets play Openclonk - and openclonk-project", as they dont say "lets play Clonk Advanced players Edition!". they will call it Clonk as long as it is the actual version. so wel could name it "OpenClonk - an OpenClonk project", but people would just say "lets play OC" or "lets play OpenclonK".
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2009-08-15 23:24
"for the sake of CLONK"!
Parent - By tinu [ch] Date 2009-08-16 10:45
"The Age of Clonk: [Subtitle suited to the central theme of the story mode]"
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-08-16 13:12
Gyroclonk
Parent - - By K-Pone [de] Date 2009-08-16 15:46
Clonk Advanced
Clonk Extended
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2009-09-05 23:41
Super Clonk
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2009-08-17 10:30
The title should reflect some basic aspects of the game, in my opinion.

Like Clonk Planet focused on the different packs and settings.

Worlds of Clonk
Spheres of Clonk
Planets of Clonk

Or like a Clonk focused on the different types of clonks:

Tribes of Clonk Planet
The Battle of the ancient clonk clans

Or like a Clonk presenting the idea of Clonk tribes which colonize a complete new planet with new challenges.

Clonk Colony would be such a nice title, it's a shame.
Pioneers - Clonks exploring a new world
The creation of the clonks empire

Or something which just sounds good:

Royal Clonk World/Time/War

or some words with mines and gold...?
Parent - - By Travis Date 2009-08-17 13:39
The most of your titles doesn't fit, because Clonk never had any kind of a story at all. When somebody would play "Pioneers - Clonks exploring a new world", or "The Battle of the ancient clonk clans", he asked you reasonable, "so can you tell me the story so far?", and you had to say "uh, no there is no story behind that titles, the other Clonk titles so far, are just random or something".  

>The title should reflect some basic aspects of the game, in my opinion.

There you really hit the point and I think the main aspect of this game is it's an open source Clonk title. I rather say as long as you don't want Open Clonk, take "Unlimited Clonk", I think this really fits.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2009-08-17 14:19
I was just brainstorming about a few possibilities, of course the project should be labled with sense. Pioneers sounds not too bad to me, because that's what Clonks were in the first place when settlement scenarios were invented.

>I think the main aspect of this game is it's an open source Clonk title. I rather say as long as you don't want Open Clonk, take "Unlimited Clonk", I think this really fits.

I think it's unwise to be pleased with the fastest solution. Let's try around a bit, I'm sure that someone will find a name that fits.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2009-08-17 20:34

> Clonk Colony would be such a nice title, it's a shame.

Colonial Clonk ;)
Parent - By Cani [de] Date 2009-08-17 11:26
Fury of the Clonks
A Clonks Life
Revolution of Clonk
Diggers -  an open Clonk game
The Wipf Tales
Tribes of Clonk
The Clonk Wars

It just came into my mind that we have do decide what happens in the new game. If we had some kind of campaign with a cool story, it would be easier do find a name for the whole game.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-17 12:33
Some ideas without having to have clonk in the title. Old Clonk gamers will be informed through the clonk.de website as well as the domain openclonk.org and many references from other clonk fansites to it.

Pioneers and Miners
Settlers and Miners
Goldminers
Steamforge
Diggin' Dirt
Bustling mine(rs)
The grand digging
Rocks'n'Dirt
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-17 14:41
Everything sounds bad. :/
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2009-08-17 16:50
I like some of them - but it just doesn't sound interesting. If you hear 'Clonk' you might think of it as intersting, challenging. Whereas names as 'Rocks'n'Dirt' sound more like a minigame, and it doesn't seem unique.
Steamforge sounds interesting though, it gives this rough, hand and steampowered feeling. SteamClonk sounds weird though, again Clonk Steam would sound more interesting but it is sadly not practical.
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-08-21 14:52
Diggin' Dirt is great. :)
Parent - - By Maddin Date 2009-08-23 11:56
It hasn't got a 'clonk' in it. :/
Parent - - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-08-23 12:34
And?
Parent - - By Maddin Date 2009-08-23 15:35
That's bad. Won't make clonk to come to be known.
Parent - By MrBeast [de] Date 2009-08-23 16:00
Why is that bad? :P And also there would be the "an OpenClonk-Project "-subtitle left.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2009-08-17 16:50
What I liked about the name GWE was that the golden Wipf was clearly identified with Clonk, whereas in this case in developing everything new we haven't got anything 'clearly' defining this Clonk except for that it is open. Therefore I would stick with OpenClonk for now.
Parent - By Maddin Date 2009-08-18 14:30
Vectorclonk. :D
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2009-08-19 15:07 Edited 2009-08-19 16:53
A little bit of brainstorming:
  • Legend of the Golden Wipf

• Clonk - Blazing Wipf Edition

• Clonk 2.0

• Clonk 5

• Almost Clonk

• Omni Clonk

• Clonck

• Clonk

• Passion of the Clonk

• Next Generation Clonk

• Pendulum Clonk

• Balance Clonk

• Universal Clonk

Parent - - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-08-19 16:07

>Clonk 2.0

GWE 2.0!
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-20 14:00
Yeah! :O
Parent - By Freakclonk [de] Date 2009-08-20 23:34
Thats not too bad, because OpenClonk is, like GWE was, a revolution of Clonk style.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-08-21 00:17
Since there is already a "GWE 2", I strongly advise against this choice on behalf of chronological clarity. Also, unless you have played older Clonk versions before, you won't be able to compare to explain why anything about our game should be titled with that ridiculously overused "2.0"-postfix.
Parent - - By Freakclonk [de] Date 2009-08-21 01:38
So what about "GWE Revolution" or "GWE Reloaded"?
Parent - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-21 02:21
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-21 04:32
Maybe Platinum Edition? As this isn't actually GWE, but a new, different version; I think the GWE prefix should be dropped for something else.
Parent - By Atomclonk [de] Date 2009-08-21 10:05
"Gold Wipf Edition - Platinium Edition"?
"Platin Wipf Edition"
"Diamond Wipf Edition"
Parent - By Luchs [de] Date 2009-08-21 01:40
Yeah, but there was a Clonk 2, too.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-19 21:11
Passion of the Clonk? Jesus might not be so happy about that title.

However, I do like Universal Clonk.
Parent - - By Newton [es] Date 2009-08-19 21:26

>Almost Clonk

:D
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2009-08-21 13:29
Well, it IS NOT clonk in the common sense of the word clonk.. until now. ;)
Parent - By MastroLindo Date 2009-08-19 23:33
clonked
Parent - By Kanibal [de] Date 2009-08-26 03:49
What about a title like "OpenClonk XYZ"?
Could think of
OpenClonk Boost
OpenClonk First
OpenClonk TheBegin
Parent - - By OfficerRambo [ch] Date 2009-08-29 19:09
guys.. you think too much...
it seems like you never played clonk and try to make a sequel name...
clonk is everything... if you limit it with a name, you wont be successfull.

the open world of clonk << sounds good but too long

Clonkination :) is clonk+[someting] forbidden too or only clonk blank [something]?

Exposed Clonk <<< that one is good..
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-08-30 00:21
We need to throw ideas out for a good name. And to be honest, many of the people who have suggested names in this topic not only have thoroughly played clonk but have also developed previous Clonk Titles themselves.

It seems you want to say the names we have suggested aren't good enough, but yours are. No offense, but that's incredibly rude and short-sighted.

About wordplays with the OC title, Guenther should be able to provide guidelines about that.
Parent - - By OfficerRambo [ch] Date 2009-08-31 22:15
duuude xD you think to muuch xDD

its my way to tell things.. perhaps my english isnt good enough that it sounds rude - but it wasnt ment on this way...

i mean.. the way that you talk with me isnt cool too.. you say that i should shut my fuck up because i did only play and not develope any clonk? ( you see.. we can read both our sentences on the rude way ;) )
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-09-01 01:18
You will find I have not developed any previous Clonk titles either. Your opinion for titles is as good as mine. However, your view is that all other people's ideas are somehow flawed. This was not due to your grammatical errors, but by your mannerism. You will also find this kind of attitude is highly unappreciated. If you have ideas, be a man about it and don't put down others because they're not yours.

Now I'm sorry, but I do not want to start a flame war. Please stop straying off topic.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-08-30 08:35

>Exposed clonk

Lol, sounds naughty!
Parent - - By Randrian [de] Date 2009-08-30 03:30
How about: Advanced Clonk ?
(old clonkers now "advanced" from "Clonk advances players edition")

or Radical Clonk?
Parent - - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-08-30 08:35
There is already a "clonk radical" xO
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Name of our first title (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next