Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / TODOs: Settlement development - Level 1
- - By Newton [de] Date 2012-02-19 21:32 Edited 2012-04-22 00:32
Clonkonaut and me thought of introducing some project management for the current settlement development in which we prioritize and split up the big chunk of work that theoretically has to be done for settlement development into small chunks (we call "levels") of current todos. The goal is to make the entry for new people who don't have an overview of what can done in our project easier and to provide some sense of achievement.

One level is designed to take about 2 weeks but generally it counts that it's done when it's done - if we finish earlier we advance to the next level earlier. A level doesn't have to end in an update, in fact we will probably have several levels in which we make the game ready for a release (polishing, bugfixing). For fun and recognition we will name each level ;-)

Engine, script, text, graphics

Level 1

The goal of our first level is to round up the bits we need for a proper basic settlement scenario. This will probably still be topic for the next level, but the aim is to move on to making possible settlement scenario design (f.e. blood crystal) as quick as possible. This level doesn't include too much engine tasks because most of our engine coders currently have their own projects that they are working on (Peter: highres, Günther: c4script engine, Sven2: control assignment) that wouldn't make sense to include in the todos for settlement.

Elevator

Texture the elevator case - will be done by Newton
The cable reel (Objects.ocd/Items.ocd/Tools.ocd/CableReel.ocd) is heavily used even in the first scenarios but it lacks a proper graphic. obsolete for now, see Clonkonauts post below

Oven

Model and texture for the oven/kitchen. Matthiashas begun with this on base of Fungiforms sketch.
A simple inclusion of the producer library. Assign the dedicated products to the oven. The oven is a mere extra feature in gold rush, so no specific balancing is necessary.

Chemical laboratory

A model for the lab. Matthias has begun with this.
A simple inclusion of the producer library. Assign the dedicated products to the lab, remove the callbacks assigning them to the tools workshop. See that the player is fully able to construct a lab in gold rush.

Descriptions in menus

Short general descriptions for all produceable objects and buildings. Rename the previous Description-placeholders of the objects to UsageHelp or similar before. For example the dynamite bar: UsageHelp="Press [Use] to ignite. After it has been ignited, aim into the direction you want to place it and press [Use] again." as opposed to Description="Basic explosive for mining"

Display a tooltip for C4D_MouseSelect after a delay of ~1s. The text displayed shall be the Description-property of the object.
Enable descriptions for menu items in circle menus

(optional) engine-callbacks for C4D_MouseSelect-objects on hover mouse in/mouse out instead of FindObject on each mouse movement.

Polish ringmenus/menus

(optional) change ringmenu to be more like mouse gestures again: make deadzone (close button) smaller, add more tolerance towards the outside border
(optional) add possibility to make menus not-closeable (callbacks something like: RejectClose, OnClosed). And apply to the weapon chooser menu in all melee scenarios.
(optional) enchance d&d functionality

High resolution

(optional/prototype?) With the first settlement rounds moving in our scope, a proper fog-of-war would add as a really interesting and central game element
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-02-19 21:38 Edited 2012-02-19 21:44
If you are going to do a certain task, just reply here.

I will do the texture for the elevator cabin.

I asked Ringwaul by mail to commit his work in progress of the oven and the shipyard to the resources repository.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-02-20 00:11
Unfortunately I can't get the RCS to work, so I'll just upload them here.

I hereby license the following file(s) under the CC-by license
Attachment: kitchen.blend - kitchen (494k)
Attachment: shipyard.blend (474k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-15 13:13
Just for the record: pushed them in your name.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-03-16 01:14
Aye; I also managed to get my mercurial to push properly. Looks like it was searching for TortoisePlink.exe in .../Program Files (x86)/, when it is actually now in .../Program Files/. :z
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-20 15:15

> The cable reel (Objects.ocd/Items.ocd/Tools.ocd/CableReel.ocd) is heavily used even in the first scenarios but it lacks a proper graphic.

Outdated with Zapper's changes to the power system. Cable reels are gone for now.

> (optional) add possibility to make menus not-closeable (callbacks something like: RejectClose, OnClosed)

And apply to the weapon chooser menu in all melee scenarios.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2012-02-26 01:22

> (optional) engine-callbacks for C4D_MouseSelect-objects on hover mouse in/mouse out instead of FindObject on each mouse movement.

The engine side of this has been implemented. There is now a global callback:

func MouseHover(int player, object old, object new, object drag)
Parent - By boni [at] Date 2012-02-26 01:57
Script-Implementation with object-callbacks for it will be pushed soon, I hope.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-02-26 14:23

> (optional) engine-callbacks for C4D_MouseSelect-objects on hover mouse in/mouse out instead of FindObject on each mouse movement.

Done by ck, boni and me.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-15 13:30
In the code, I see no MouseHover() function in the code, only OnMouseOver, OnMouseOut. Did you implement it differently after all? Is there anything left to be done? F.e. I see that the ContentsMenuController doesn't implement the OnMouseOverItem method - so the showing-descriptions would be still open to do?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-03-15 13:35
Yes that's still open
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-03 15:07
I just made uncloseable menus but I guess this thread is kinda outdated in half its todos.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-04-03 19:33
No, it's not outdated. I am still on the descriptions-thing but nowadays I have almost no time for OC.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-03 21:41
Okay, then:

>  (optional) change ringmenu to be more like mouse gestures again: make deadzone (close button) smaller, add more tolerance towards the outside border

Since the backpack was replaced anyway, this doesn't matter anymore.

> (optional) enchance d&d functionality

I think this was done.

And I think Matthias doesn't do the chemlab anymore. He gave up on the kitchen.
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-04-03 22:14

> He gave up on the kitchen.

Huwhat! I was sure my part on the kitchen was done? You asked for the model because ringwaul wanted to texture it, and I send it to you because hg drove my crazy with well-places lumps of sheer stupidity. Otherwise, unfortunately, my free time once again ran into the basement and hid between all my boxes of work.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-04-03 22:16

>  I was sure my part on the kitchen was done?

Oh right, sorry, my bad. I forgot that the modelling was finished.
So, yes, it's stuck at Ringwaul now, awaiting textures.
- By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-02-27 19:19
One week's gone. Just a quick reminder to every modeller out there: We'd highly appreciate anyone taking on the task to do the models for the kitchen and the lab. We even have a good sketch for the kitchen: http://forum.openclonk.org/topic_show.pl?pid=16874#pid16874
- - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-15 13:36
Sorry, was absent over the past few weeks - still catching up. If noone else does it, I'll take care of the showing-descriptions in menus and (still) the texturing of the elevator case.

Any progress on the chemical lab and oven? Last thing I know is that Matthias was on it.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-03-15 15:29
Welcome back!

Here's your update on the progress:

I have just persuaded Matthi to upload the kitchen and fungiform's sketches for the chemlab. The kitchen only needs texturing. The backpack TODO is basically outdated because boni made the backpack menu obsolete in the Controls branch. Question is what we do now if we wait or not.

Tooltip stuff isn't touched.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-03-16 01:17

>Any progress on the chemical lab and oven? Last thing I know is that Matthias was on it.

I was planning to texture Matthi's kitchen/oven model, but am waiting on the upload. I also am working on another project though, so I don't expect Matthi to hastily upload an unfinished model. ^^
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-03-16 01:38
Kitchen model attached ;)
Attachment: kitchen.zip (1406k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-17 15:55
-> mercurial

lets not use the forum as our repository
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-03-17 16:07
Yeah, I tried for 2 hours to get mercurial to do what I wanted, but all I got were illogical error messages. I ragequitted and send Clonkonaut a Zip with those files. I might give it another try soon...
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / TODOs: Settlement development - Level 1