Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / code_swarm: Clonk
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-07 23:07 Edited 2012-03-08 13:53
For those who don't know code_swarm (homepage): it's a tool to visualize the work version control systems.
This is the complete history of any Clonk repository (well, nearly *cough*) starting from 2000 until 29.02.2012.

rendering this took about two full days or so.

..how does the [vid]-tag work..?

well, here: http://youtu.be/UvWYxyhMEO8

PS: The OpenClonk history starts at about 4:00
PPS: direct link to the avi-file thanks to JCaesar here
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-03-08 10:02 Edited 2012-03-08 10:04

>rendering this took about two full days or so.

Nice! Rendering via GPU or CPU? Which resolution, specs and Framerate? Seems very long for that 'simple' task. Your homepage-link sucks btw.
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-03-08 11:16
800x600, 54fps, 1130kb/s
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-08 13:52

>Nice! Rendering via GPU or CPU? Which resolution, specs and Framerate? Seems very long for that 'simple' task. Your homepage-link sucks btw.

The code_swarm rendering. And the most expensive part there is the calculation of the position/movement of the files, because it uses a physics engine (->CPU).
When OC starts (around 4:00) a lot(!) of files were created. Calculating only that few frames probably took three hours or so.
code_swarm creates only PNG-files. One for every frame. I assembled them using mencoder and encoded them to h264x in VirtualDub. The encoding took only a few minutes.
The config was MillisecondsPerFrame=21600000 and it created 17561 800x600 PNG files

>Your homepage-link sucks btw.

fixed
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-03-08 14:38
A lot of these screen-sweeping changes are probably branches, where (at least for SVN) the entire codebase gets "copied", but in actuality nothing of substance happens. Isn't it possible to filter these out somehow?

Also, it's relatively unfair to engine developers, as every point represents a file - and people working on objects deal with a lot of small files. Just sayin' und stuff :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-08 15:51 Edited 2012-03-08 15:54

>Also, it's relatively unfair to engine developers, as every point represents a file - and people working on objects deal with a lot of small files. Just sayin' und stuff :)

Yeah, well, but you get to copy around stuff branching SVNs!

>Isn't it possible to filter these out somehow?

No idea - not in code_swarm at least. You'd have to filter them from the log

PS: If you want something with even less information value, take this!:
PPS: the only valid information is the color. It's the representation of a fastgreedy-community detection algorithm (aka who worked with who)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-03-08 16:09

> No idea - not in code_swarm at least. You'd have to filter them from the log

Hm, I think I did that when I made my code_swarm video back then. Ah well, this must have been enough work already :)

The best addition would probably be to have a timeline of the releases and big features to go with it - like GWE, CE, CR, the big object packs. I remember these stand out quite well once you know that they're there. If I find the time I'll probably try to make a small list.

And the most useful thing to take from your graphic is that obviously nobody wants to work with clonkine ;)
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-08 16:16

>The best addition would probably be to have a timeline of the releases and big features to go with it - like GWE, CE, CR, the big object packs. I remember these stand out quite well once you know that they're there. If I find the time I'll probably try to make a small list.

I actually tried including some titles for certain dates. But my movie manipulation programms (and skills) failed me :(
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-03-11 23:09
Makes me remember how tiny my own contribution to the project is in relation to the whole size and history of Clonk...

Regarding code_swarm:
+ Is it possible to skip certain commits? It seems to be that there are a few big file-renamings going on perhaps these could be filtered out
+ It would be a really nice feature if one could add captions for certain events taking place at that time, f.e. for the dates of various releases
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-03-12 11:25

>+ Is it possible to skip certain commits? It seems to be that there are a few big file-renamings going on perhaps these could be filtered out

Yeah, the video is not 100% accurate in that regard. But code_swarm does not have such an option. You would have to filter those out of the log beforehand

>+ It would be a really nice feature if one could add captions for certain events taking place at that time, f.e. for the dates of various releases

I actually tried including some titles for certain dates. But my movie manipulation programms (and skills) failed me :( (see here :))
Up Topic General / General / code_swarm: Clonk