Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Engine choosing
- - By NilsZ [de] Date 2009-10-04 11:20
hey guys,

I have an Idea for OpenClonk. I think it would be cool if you could choose an old Engine to play with. So it would be possible to play old clonk planet maps with the clonk planet Engine in the Internet. for example in every scenario.txt is a line called "version" (at the head) and now OpenClonk reads it and says AHA! this map needs GWE 4 and then it reads "Definition1=Objects.c4d" "Definition1=Knights.c4d" it translates automaticly for itself  "Definition1=GWE4_Objects.c4d" "Definition2=GWE4_Knights.c4d" (without changing the -.c4s file) and so it would be possible to play old scenarios without backwards compatibility in the internet. of course only the names of the old packs have to be changed: CR_*.c4d CE_*.c4d
GWE4_*.c4d - GWE1_*.c4d CP_*.c4d or also CUSTOMENGINES_*.c4d . And it would be nice if you can see which lobby uses which Engine, and if you join a game that is using an old engine you will automatic load this engine like an normal objectpack. The only thing that needs to be  fixed is that all engines should be new parsed with compatibility to the new netcode.

The best thing is that the developers don't need to care about backwards compatibility anymore.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-10-04 12:06
I don't get your idea. If  OpenClonk would have to be able to play old stuff it would have to be backward compatible (which it already is not (especially not compatible with GWE stuff)). Clonk engines don't work the way that you can take the netcode from engine A and the physics from engine B
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2009-10-04 21:56
OK but, is it possible to give them the same menu-system? so that the engines keep like they are (with old netcode, physics) and the menu-system would do the rest (like connecting, and masterserverlists).
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-10-04 21:56
No, I am afraid not
Parent - By NilsZ [de] Date 2009-10-04 22:08
that makes me sad.

And sorry i was that Anonymus i did not see that i was logged out.
Parent - - By Ape [fi] Date 2009-10-04 12:17
I think it's is really waste of time to implement backwards compatibility. Instead you could port your favorite scenarios for the new engine.
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2009-10-04 22:05
Just like Newton said, it would require more time to port old scenarios than implent backwards compatibility, in my opinion.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2009-10-05 07:47
Thats not what Newton said. :)
Newton said that it would require much more effort to port old scenarios (or implement backward compatibility) than just using the old engine with the old scenarios
Parent - - By Matthias [de] Date 2009-10-04 14:25 Edited 2009-10-04 14:27
Hey!
Not exactly sure on the details here, but since we don't have permission to use the full content of CR, there might be legal problems if we distribute entire game versions with OC.
Also, every player would need to have a registration for CR to use this feature. This might lead to confusion, because new players, who don't know CR yet, might actually pay for the use of an 'older version'.

I also dislike your idea in general: It supports the misbelief of OC being a sequel of CR, while it is, in fact, a different game. There is just no point to including a line of games into a diffent game, when all the included games can be downloaded and installed seperately, if needed.
(Not to mention the waste of disk space.)
Parent - By Anonymous [de] Date 2009-10-04 22:03
I thought the Clonk Rage Source Code was also made public. But that idea should not make OC a sequel to CR, i thought it would be like a completetion and an expansion of all Clonk games.
Parent - By zagabar [se] Date 2009-10-05 08:51
It isn't a sequel? I would call it a sequel. The next game in the clonk series. Like mario 64 is a sequel of mario world. Since it is a clonk game, you cannot walk away from the fact that it is the next game in a serie. It doesn't really have to do with how much similar it is to the former clonks imo.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2009-10-04 14:44
This is hardly possible (see Zapper) or desirable (see Matthias).

However, I very much like the idea to create packs of the (good) old community scenarios each for the different now freeware Clonk titles. Who bothers to create some collection of the good old scenarios from ClonkPlanet- or GWE-times on his own after downloading the freeware? But downloading some GWE- or CP_CommunityPack.rar with the original pack, all the binaries plus all the neat community classics already neatly packed inside, ready to run out of the box, would be awesome!
This would not require any additional work because of compatibility issues. I remember the Clonk history project (CHP) where we tried to fix all those old scenarios of Clonk 4 upwards for GWE4 but it died because it is a never-ending task. To actually sort those classics to the engine where they belong to is a much better idea. Sadly, I never had the time to do it.
Parent - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-10-05 18:46
It think this is not really necessary. As already said, a "remake" off those goods scenarios is possible, and i think it is more interesting to connect them with the new functions in OC.
Parent - - By fritz_rockt [de] Date 2009-10-07 14:08 Edited 2009-10-07 14:11
Isn't it possible to write an script that auto ports old clonk szens into the new OCscript?
Parent - - By Enrique [de] Date 2009-10-11 12:32
Everythng is possible. But it is just to much work. Instead, just remake the scenarios is easier.
Parent - By Carli [de] Date 2009-10-17 18:36
... and you can use all things that are new in OC
Parent - By Fireknight [ch] Date 2009-10-31 10:11
I think there is a CP to C4Strict programm available on the ClonkCenter.
Parent - - By dan-dan [de] Date 2009-10-19 17:31
i thought about that too
i would really like it when you could have more engines in one clonk and the rest you said :)
maybe its more important to make openclonk but later it would be very nice to do this
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2009-10-31 22:42
Why not just play the games these scenarios are from...? Excluding Clonk Rage, all of these games are free.
Parent - - By dan-dan [de] Date 2009-11-03 19:59
its not so easy but ok...
but videos are really not easy, they need a version. on the clonk center are old CE-engines for watching videos, this could be made really easier
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2009-11-03 20:52 Edited 2009-11-03 20:55
You need the old object definitions, too.
I'd really like to have something like a version control system right in game. Every folder is a complete repos.  (Ignore me. I'm dreaming. I doubt this is realistic or could be realized in any way.)
Up Topic General / Feedback and Ideas / Engine choosing