Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Background Music try
- - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-04 14:15
Hey folks,

I thought that the game could need some background music. So I tried to kompose a short sequence for you to judge if it fits or not. If so I could try to make a few songs like this and make them longer (1-2 minutes+). Let me know what you think! It's my first try doing sth. like this so don't spare your criticism.
Parent - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-05 17:34
Okay so I worked a bit more on it so it has 1:52 length now.

Can someone move this topic to the Art section please? :)
Attachment: Clonk2.2.mp3 (1767k)
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-05 22:28
Mh, to be honest I don't like the style. Too midi-ly for the taste, very retro.
Parent - By Koronis [de] Date 2012-07-05 23:00
Well that's okay :) . Thanks for the feedback. Seems the general perception (we talked a bit in the IRC) is rather not that positive either. I just felt that the game should really have music. Saves me time for other things however.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-10 14:04 Edited 2012-07-10 14:08
Nice try. That must've been quite a bit of work.

I think as we're tending in a bit of a wonky/realistic/steampunk direction, maybe some music with a more mechanical component would be more fitting. The cheery stuff from the old Clonk titles doesn't fit that well anymore.

What does everybody think about something like this? It sounds a bit too much like a circus, but instrument-wise it'd fit?
Also this.
Parent - By Matthias [de] Date 2012-07-10 16:40

> Also this.

That second one is quite nice. A tad too dynamic and intense for repeated ingame usage (for my tastes), but overall pretty fitting. Maybe a good candidate for title screen music.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-10 17:08
+1

See Matthias :-)

But where is this from? Who is the author? I mean, it's CC-BY but we don't know who to attribute it to? (And where we can find more from this author ^^)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-10 17:54
The FAQ says every song (except for clearly stated otherwise) is done by the same guy hosting the website, Kevin MacLeod.
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-10 18:12
Correct. Incompetech is his website.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-07-10 18:30
Suspiciously close to incompetent. Maybe we shouldn't use his stuff after all.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-07-10 21:41
Funny; that's the same music used by MasterSpace (the MineCraft-ey game the author linked a while ago).
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-07-10 23:29
Heh. I know the artist from some dude who makes LoL-Videos. He switched all the music he uses to non-commercial licences.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-11 10:44

>He switched all the music he uses to non-commercial licences.

What do you mean? On his website, it says CC-BY.
Parent - By B_E [de] Date 2012-07-11 08:57
He does quite a bit of high-quality stuff on that website, we also use his music often for CMC. He even offers scoring services, so if we got a donation running or something (Kickstarter-ish?)...
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-07-11 19:38
I am gonna browse through the whole collection during the next days and compile a list of candidates for a - lets say, preliminarily - soundtrack. There won't be too many jewels which fit so good to a steampunky style, but on the other hand I don't think at all this is necessary. It shouldn't all sound the same after all, we got a direction, lets see what I can find. Any other artists/websites I should browse through? (I will browse through Jahzzar)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-04 00:56
What about a more ambiente-like music? Very decent and quiet tracks. Like the background tracks in Skyrim?
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Background Music try