soundbible.com, CC BY 3.0

- door squeak
  soundbible.com, CC BY 3.0

- insect buzzing sound
  flashkit.com, Public Domain

- foot steps on snow
  freesfx.co.uk, free to use as long as the website is credited
Parent - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-08-10 11:49
Soundbible is nice, I keep that in mind.

freesfx is not fit for our use though. It's not the kind of freedom we wish to provide.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-20 21:00
oh, that's cool. So there are other websites out there that offer free sound effects other than freesound. :-)

I think it would be much more rewarding (for you) to see that the stuff you found is added to the game very quickly. There are loads of sounds missing for the game, if you concentrated on finding sounds for stuff that already exists in the game, the sound effects you find / remix would find their way much quicker into the game.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-23 17:14 Edited 2012-08-23 20:13
Okay, I figured out the windmill needs a sound and there are no lava, vulcano sounds yet. (Are there vulcanoes in the game?) Anyway I made a windmill and an eruption sound. I mixed up audiofiles from soundbible, they all had the creative commons license.

Theoretically the windmill sound should even be loopable, but I don't know if it's annoying if it runs all the time, I made a not loopable one, just in case.
Attachment: vulcanoeruption.ogg (63k)
Attachment: windmillloop.wav (446k)
Attachment: windmillstandalone.wav (447k)
Attachment: vulcanoeruption-1.ogg (63k)
Attachment: windmillloopablelouder.ogg (222k)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [ie] Date 2012-08-23 18:24
We also need the original file links from soundbible for proper attribution.

But yes, there are volcanos in the game ;)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-23 20:05 Edited 2012-08-23 21:35
Lava Eruption:

http://soundbible.com/1131-Earthquake.html
Attribution 3.0
http://soundbible.com/1886-Crumbling.html
Attribution 3.0

http://soundbible.com/1137-Bubbles.html
Attribution 3.0

Windmill Sounds:

http://soundbible.com/1354-Opening-Casket.html
Attribution 3.0

http://soundbible.com/1086-Wooden-Thump.html
Attribution 3.0

http://soundbible.com/628-Flapping-Wings-3.html
Attribution 3.0

Phew, good thing I saved all that stuff for that case :S
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-23 21:12 Edited 2012-08-23 21:15

>Attr-Noncommercial 3.0

We cant use that one or any derivatives of it. But if the sound effect is worth the effort, perhaps you can contact him and ask if he would release that one file also under the CC-BY 3.0? This apparently is his website: http://www.stephanschutze.com/

I like the windmill sounds. Perhaps make the flapping wings a little louder? It really should be loopable though
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-23 21:55
Okay, I replaced the file with the wrong license with another one that has Attribution 3.0 and uploaded a windmill version with louder flapping.
Do you know more sounds that are missing in the game?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-30 19:13

> Do you know more sounds that are missing in the game?

There are plenty. Basically, everything that can make a sound could have a sound - even if its just a blop, wosh, pip or dong. If you are so inclined, you could compile a list of missing sounds but I am not sure if at this point if it would be worthwile to create such a completeā„¢ list.

Basically, you should
A) play the game and
B) have a look at the current settlement design document
and you will find plenty of missing sounds. Also, sounds that can be used for ambience sounds could be proposed in an extra topic, I think (at least) Zapper would be quite interested in them for the ambience (sub-)project.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-23 20:01

>mixed up audiofiles from soundbible, they all had the creative commons license.
> I hereby license the file vulcanoeruption.ogg under the CC-BY license

If you have the sound files from soundbible.com, it is not your work and thus you do not have the (legal) right to license the work under any license. This is alone the right of the author (copyright holder). So if the files have in fact been released under the cc-by license, they have to be attributed correctly, after all this is about the only condition there is for that license.

tldr: see Clonkonaut
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-23 20:13
Ah, so I can only license it under CC-BY, if they are 100% my own work. If I use CC 3.0 licensed files and mix them together, are they still CC 3.0? If I mix a file that has CC 3.0 with one that has Public Domain, how does that work? Is it enough to give links to the sources and write the license type under it? Doesn't the new (mixed) file need a license too, and if yes wich one? CC 3.0 or public Domain?
Parent - By Isilkor Date 2012-08-23 20:39 Edited 2012-08-23 23:10
Edit: The original didn't make any sense, so I'm going to replace it in full.
All CC 3.0 licenses (besides CC-0) share the attribution (-by) clause; this means you must mention the name or title of the sound, or of the source sound in case you edit or modify it, and the author, in the credits.
You can use unmodified CC-by 3.0 sounds in your work; the sounds stay CC-by 3.0 and you may not relicense them.
You can modify and edit CC-by 3.0 sounds; additionally you may use a different license on the edited work.
You can modify and edit CC-by-sa 3.0 sounds; you may not relicense the sound. This is a strong copyleft license comparable to the GPL.
You cannot modify CC-by-nd 3.0 sounds; you may not relicense the sound. This is a non-free license.
You can modify and edit CC-by-nc 3.0 sounds; you may not use the sound commercially (in the EU, this includes distributing the sound at-cost). This is a non-free license.
You cannot modify CC-by-nc-nd 3.0 sounds; neither can you use the sound commercially (the same caveat as above applies); you also may not relicense the sound. This is a non-free license.

In addition, there's a CC-0 license that tries to approximate Public Domain as far as possible in jurisdictions that don't allow waiving copyright (e.g. Germany).
Sounds licensed under CC-0 or placed in the Public Domain do not place any restrictions on your usage; you can edit it, or use it in whole or in parts. While you aren't required to recognize the author in the credits, personally I believe it to be good form to do so.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-08-23 21:05
Well, first of all, you can read up what it means to license something under cc-by 3.0.

So the only thing you have to do is attribute author of the work. What you then do with it - mix it, built upon it, program a game and use the the work as background art, commercially sell a CD with 1001 sound effects on it - is completely upon you. As with any license, the only thing you have to do is to adhere to it's condition and the CC-Attribution license only imposes this one condition on you (attribute it's author). So to answer you questions:

>If I use CC 3.0 licensed files and mix them together, are they still CC 3.0?
> If I mix a file that has CC 3.0 with one that has Public Domain, how does that work?

Your choice, it's your work now. But of course you still need to attribute the original authors of the mixed files as it was the condition that you may use those files in the first place. With public domain files, you don't even have to adhere to any terms of use.
Normally one doesn't claim an own copyright though when one f.e. just mixes two files into each other, turns the volume down or crops it.

>Is it enough to give links to the sources and write the license type under it?

The source is not important, the author of the work is important. Giving the source can't hurt though as it acts as a proof that you really got it from there and that your claim that the particular file is licensed under the license you wrote is true.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-08-25 00:10
I agree with Newton, I really like the windmillloopablelouder.ogg sound.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / miscellaneous sounds