Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / new tree skin
- - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-11 18:29 Edited 2012-08-11 18:33
I made another skin for the conifer. The current one looks like taken out from a cartoon or comic scene and I thought it doesn't fit with the realistic style of the Clonk graphics.
There is an edge visible where the roots start, but I'm not sure, if iI can fix it, because I think it's a problem with the mapping/model itself.

I hereby license the file coniferous.png under the CC-BY license
I hereby license the file untitled.PNG under the CC-BY license
I hereby license the file untitled2.PNG under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-08-11 18:53
Yes, I like this more but why so low resolution (muddy) like the old one?
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-11 19:01
Because I don't know how to make the texture bigger! :D That means I have the high res texture, but don't know how to put it on the model.
Can i just scale the UV map up?
Parent - By Dragonclonk [de] Date 2012-08-11 19:06
The texture does not need to be doubled, but a little bigger would be nice. If you use a bigger texture then you need to adjust the texture size in your 3D-Programm (UV-Map). But you will need to export the tree.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-08-11 19:16
You will probably not have to do anything.
If the old texture Tree.png was 256x256, make th enew Tree.png 512x512 and everything is done.

But use powers of two :)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-08-11 20:34 Edited 2012-08-11 20:47
Okay, doubling the size works fine, but ther's a catch. The texture is a square, that gets stretched aaaaall the way up the tree. And I don't have the tools to edit the model and the UV map properly. :< I maybe could make the leaves in a higher resolution, too, but I haven't had time for that yet. And it would maybe look ugly :p

The three needs some overhaul anyways. Like moving with the wind to make it more lively. If something like this is planed, I would leave it alone, because that would mean to work on a model that's gonna be changed anyways, thus making my work on it so far useless.^^ I'll just upload the latest changes here and the texture itself. If Somebody needs it tileble, just say it, I can do that too!

Nevertheless could this new texture or the one in the first post be added to the game, because everything looks better than the current one :p

I hereby license the file treetexture.png under the CC-BY license
I hereby license the file coniferous.png under the CC-BY license
I hereby license the file screenshot.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-08-16 19:15
I agree the current tree texture does not look so great. The first one you provided here looks nice because of the detail, and also the darker shade.

The UV-Map for the conifer is pretty bad, I'm going to admit. Redoing it should be pretty easy though, so I'll try to fit time for that in today.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / new tree skin