Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / What do Devs in their free time?
- - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-18 13:13 Edited 2012-09-18 23:57
The last three weeks I was occupied with the 'p0tjam', a game development contest in a community I'm part of. It is inspired by the Mojam, a game jam held by Mojang (in case you don't know: The guys behind Minecraft).
Our rules were simple:
- 3 weeks time
- Pick 2 out of 5 settings selected via a community voting beforehand; because various settings made the fifth place, we ended up with 9 choosable settings in total: Horror, Exploration, Space, Wrestling, Golf, Worldwar, Dungeon, Samurai, Train
- The style of the game is totally up to you: 2D/3D, sidescroller, first person, top down, ...

I worked together with my girlfriend who provided me with the graphics for the game. We chose to make a horror and exploration adventure, 2D top down style, taking place in a Lovecraft like scenario. Unfortunately, we had to arrange our move back to Germany inbetween with boxing, unboxing and tending our social contacts. So actual time invested is more like one and a half weeks.
This forced me to make massive cuts in the story, actual playing time is very short and very straightforward. Nonetheless, I'd like to share this with you.
I got nice feedback about the potential of the game but due to its shortness and lack of deep storytelling, it won't make it among the top games of the jam. But I do consider improving it further, stretching everything, including more mysteries!

It's written in Javascript (uses Crafty and jQuery), I tested it with Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE (newest versions!) and it worked fine. However, I got some vague bug reports about the darkness layer disappearing upon room change but I couldn't narrow it down.
It's not fit your online use though because I had some problems with the preload functions of Crafty and there wasn't enough time to look further into this.

The language is English.

Download: http://www.jetztnicht.de/Halgate House v1.1.zip
Parent - - By boni [at] Date 2012-09-18 15:54
404. :(

So much productivity. I've only been busy with Minecraft, GuildWars2, LoL and my bachelor project. :(
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-18 23:57

> 404

%(

Thanks, link fixed.
Parent - - By Marky [de] Date 2012-09-19 09:49
So far it's quite interesting, but the character should walk a little faster. It drags the game, especially if you know what to do.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-19 12:38
Yes, I got quite some people complaining about that, too. I think I'll change it :D
Parent - By Marky [de] Date 2012-09-19 15:41
I found that a walking speed of 4 instead of 1.5 and animation length of 30 comfortable for me. I changed it for my personal use ;)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-19 10:18
It's a HTML game, why do you zip it?
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-09-19 12:34

> It's not fit your online use though because I had some problems with the preload functions of Crafty and there wasn't enough time to look further into this.

:P
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-09-19 20:48
Tried for 2 minutes. Not satisfied - It's possibly not my favourite game-genre(?). (reminds me of Binding of Isaac) :( but it looks nice.

But to post something useful:

>It's a HTML game, why do you zip it? >.<
>but the character should walk a little faster.

Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-09-19 22:38
I just played it and i really liked it. Probably because I love scary games. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to light the fireplace. Then I died. lol
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-10-30 22:53
I... walked around the first room for a bit and then got scared and stopped playing and deleted the game.

I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to horror games.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-31 09:17
:-)
Up Topic General / General / What do Devs in their free time?