Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Needed Models and Textures - A Compiled List
1 2 Previous Next
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-20 19:57 Edited 2016-06-20 20:20
So I've decided to do some 3D Modeling for OC. Anything else needed except the trees?

Some infos on what I need to account for would be nice, like the poly count etc.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-20 23:36
Awesome :)

There are some guides in the Milestone Board
including several on graphics.

As for poly count: The more polygons the more performance is eaten, I think: Use what you need to make something look good, but don't add in way too much just for some details that is not really worth it. Probably some graphic artist can reply in greater detail with some numbers.

There are a couple of graphic requests in the milestone 3 board, but actually mostly plants. I guess we will gather some graphic requests soon if the graphic list decreases further.

Oh, and good luck with the chronic pain you mentioned earlier, I actually deal with that as well.
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-21 08:51
I couldn't find anything that was really needed. Most seemed to already have 3D models.
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-21 09:14
Most of the pictures on the vegetation list are just from somewhere else and non OC.
The only other thing I can come up with is the deep sea extension. But if you choose to work on this, note that working on this will most likely take a while to kick of even if all graphics would be completed.
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:02
The trello thing is confusing me, there is no status if somebody has done something or if the attachment is from something they created or from the web etc.

Since I'm not a professional I'd like to start modeling some easy stuff.  Making a fireplace etc. would be too much with my current skills. It's probably more of a  OC engine particle stuff anyway.

I guess I'll start with checking out the models you have already in the game and then just make some easy missing stuff from the classic clonk.
What's needed / the best way to take a look at the current models? I already have blender but there is no developer mode in OC so I'm kinda stuck on how to open and extract everything.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:11 Edited 2016-06-21 10:14
The meshes you find in the game are all exported in Ogre format. We do not work with them, we work with the Blender source files. They should all be here:

https://git.openclonk.org/openclonk-resources.git

Regarding models, if you don't find anything via Trello or official "requested" lists, I think it is best to get in contact with Clonkonaut directly as I think he is the one with the most ideas for new content to be added (which all need graphics). I.e. the underwater stuff, but also in general in my opinion.
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:50
I can see a lot of people adding stuff but where are the files?
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2016-06-21 11:57
First of all, in case you know your way around git, you can clone that repository and have all files on your computer. In case you don't know git, you can learn to do it but also download the files as follows:

On the top but below 'project / openclonk-resources.git' click on 'tree' (next to summary | shortlog | log etc.) and you get to the filetree. Those links are folders (graphics, models, music etc.) and whenever you navigate to somewhere where there are files (e.g. here), you can click on the right side on 'raw' to get the actual file.

Mind you, this is not the way it is meant to be used, this is an online interface for git. That's why it's a bit complicated.
Parent - Date 2016-06-21 12:38
Parent - - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:21 Edited 2016-06-21 10:32

>The trello thing is confusing me, there is no status if somebody has done something or if the attachment is from something they created or from the web etc.

The color will tell: red means "to do", yellow is work in progress, green is done.

>I guess I'll start with checking out the models you have already in the game and then just make some easy missing stuff from the classic clonk.

In general note that getting your graphics scripted from a programmer is only likely if you do communicate with him about the graphic. Doing 'just' what is obvious to someone might not always find backing from other people. Clonk is a pretty complex game with visions differing from person to person. I'm not exactly sure what easy missing stuff from the classic Clonk you are referring to, hm.. ah maybe some flints? But that's the only thing that comes to my mind.
Parent - - By Dmyst [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:45
That's not what I mean, if you open it up there are a lot of posts and attachments and it's hard to figure out if it's something that is wanted/ to be created or has been already created. I've opened up red labeled ones and there are clearly attachments from someone working on it. It's either a clear request that is then taken by someone and there is a clear indication that it's been assigned and is been worked on. Or I'm not touching it.  The trollo stuff looks a lot like: Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-21 11:37
If it has been assigned to someone, usually you see a name on the card. If there is no name you are normally free to work on it. It also doesn't hurt posting on the card and asking, if you register in Trello I can invite you to the group.

The M#3 is the open board (in comparison to the M#2 board being feature locked, but graphic tasks are finished there): A lot of stuff is more vague and open to conception and interpretation. All those cards are marked by the purple discussion marker. For example a completely open card which is just a conception (concepted by Shadow) compared to an almost finished card where only scripting is missing.

But you are right it is less structured than it should be. I'll clean up the board a bit later. Since most developers currently pursue individual tasks, and also the previous milestone segment is still missing a lot of script work I didn't put too much effort into organizing the new board.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-23 21:19
So as promised more structure: I made a list of requested graphics. I added the stuff from the plans I know of, which is mostly the milestone and the deep sea expansion. Might be further enhanced by the rest of the community.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:07

> Oh, and good luck with the chronic pain you mentioned earlier, I actually deal with that as well.

In the danger of repeating myself: If I do Yoga at least weekly, I do not have problems with my condition. Swimming is also good, though much less effective.
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-21 10:39
I workout every second day + the occasional swimming since like a year. While it is certainly beneficial for the body (especially the spine) the effects on my hand pain is unfortunately not really noticeable. But glad it works for you :)
Parent - By ala [de] Date 2016-06-24 11:13
This list is not up to date, right? Can someone having a bit of an overview about those tasks write them into the Trello card?
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Needed Models and Textures - A Compiled List
1 2 Previous Next