Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Armory
- - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-28 12:27
A model for the armory, it currently lacks any texture at all! (UV map exists, of course)

If anyone wants to color it, feel free! I'll attach the original UV map here

I hereby license the file Armory_Armory.svg under the CC-BY license
Attachment: Armory_Armory.svg - UV map layout for armory (15k)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-28 13:12
Looks quite nice! I was puzzled how a good armory could look like, I imagined a metal round shed or something but it just didn't look good. This one has the elements in it that make an armory and armory ^^. Do you allow me to make some sketches based on your armory to further refine the armory?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-28 13:51 Edited 2012-09-28 13:57
Sure, feel free.

What I noticed when I put it next to a workshop is that the wood pillars are much thinner here - I guess they could be a bit widened. Also the roof still looks a bit like a square and could get some appendages at the end
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-29 20:13 Edited 2012-09-29 20:23
So my concept would be to put this shed-like structure around the anvil, bucket and fireplace. The round part of the building would be out of metal, in appearance similar to the roof of the foundry (rivets and stuff). The back wall of the wooden shed can be decorated with various weapons (and tools for making weapons) on a rack, similar to the tools workshop. The metal shed is half-open so that there is some "hidden" place left where vehicles could be constructed.

I left out more decorations in the in the inside of the shed because first I wanted to set the basic geometry. But further possible decoration could be chains or a rope that hangs from the left post/roof, a big wheel (from the cannon) or gear(s) leaned against some wall to further acknowledge the fact that one can also build larger weapons there than a "normal" weapons smith could do.

I hereby license the file armory.png under the CC-BY license
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-29 22:56
Looks good.

By the way: Do we (you) still have the original textures somewhere that you used for the wood/rock parts of the other buildings (for example the workshop)?
Having similar textures would help a lot with creating the impression that the buildings would belong into the same settlement (I noticed that when I looked around for textures for the loom)
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-30 00:58
If they are around, they are in the resources repository. I remember taking the wood texture for the workshop from the wind generator.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-30 20:24
From all the renaming in the repos I can only guess who created the wind generator textures. Ringwaul?

It would be really cool to have a basic set of textures (wood, wood beams, rock, maybe even screws and gears?) that one could use for the buildings. Not only because it would be less work for the artist do create the texture every time, but also because (especially with lowpoly models), a similar style in the textures would mean a lot visually
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-09-30 21:34
Me.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-09-30 22:17
Okay, do you still know where you got those original textures from? :)
A texture archive I guess, do you remember which one?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-01 10:05
No. But I always reused the textures from the wind generator as the 512x512 texture is quite big for that little woodwork in the wind generator mesh.

Though, Clonkonaut mentioned yesterday that there is a problem with those textures. Perhaps that should be fixed first.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-05 18:09
This is WIP btw, just had a little less time than usual because of an university course that goes from 9:00 to 18:00 every day
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-13 18:09
Current status.

Needs someone who wants to paint an UV map :]
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-14 01:02
Wow, love the model. The shield on the awning could be simplified to a 1x subdivided quad (8 tris) and have the detailed outline of the shield done via alpha mapping; currently it looks pretty dense in polys.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-14 09:02
I originally had the shield as a quad, then Matthi looked over my shoulder an said that it has to be a model. I have no strong feelings about that and can revert it - and to Matthi: I can put it back in if it turns out to look too ugly :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-14 13:22
What actually is our polygon budget? Currently it's normal to have 10.000 polys only for the main hero in a game. I just felt like speaking about level of detail here, because for example when I looked at the windmill, I thought it would look so much better if the wooden framework wouldn't just be painted on it, but really modeled.
Parent - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-14 13:27

> What actually is our polygon budget?

We don't know, really. No benchmarks so far. But we don't have any kind of LoD system, so low poly is mandatory.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-14 11:06
The oven? looks a bit molten. Out of what material would that be? Loam?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-14 12:48
Yes, Loam
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-14 15:57
textured and comitted
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-14 17:43
Sweet. Though I don't understand why there's flames coming out of the funnel :V
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-14 19:32
Chimney fire? :)
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-14 19:50
But flames reaching all the way up? :P
Parent - By ST-DDT [de] Date 2012-10-15 16:00
Yes, because its hot!^^

I guess some kind of luminous glare (Licht Widerschein) would be enough.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / [Model] Armory