Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Game doesn't start
- - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-10 19:09 Edited 2012-10-18 21:33
Hi, when I tried to start the game it just opened a window with just grey/white color inside and imidetly closed again. Happens with the dev snapshot and latest release. I'm confused, because I can't remember changing anything as it worked before.

With an actually up-to-date driver I got a log that just said there's something wrong with OpenGL or DirectX drivers and I should update the drivers.

I downloaded now the latest beta driver and got a big log file. I'm using the ATI Radeon 5800 series.

I just noticed this guy has the same problem. Sorry for making a new topic :/

SOLUTION

Deactivate Triple Buffering (Dreifachpufferung) for OpenGL in your graphics driver.

Guide:
If you have an AMD graphics card go into the Catalyst Control Center. (You will find it by typing ccc into the start menu on Windows). Go to Games and then 3D Application Settings. Scroll all the way down and at the very bottom un-select Triple Buffering. Open Clonk works now! (At least for me...) \o/
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-16 16:42 Edited 2012-10-16 16:52
Does anyone else have a Radeon 5800 series?
Or the grey screen? Still doesn't work with the new release :<
Even with  the first stable release, I get the error. In the log there are the lines:
[17:48:47]   gl: Unable to select context
[17:48:47]   gl: ATI Technologies Inc.
then it ends.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-16 22:49
The first thing I'd do is google for that error. The log file sounds more like it is a problem specifically with your driver. Perhaps you could find something related to that problem on google? It would be odd if you were the only one that ever had this problem.
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2012-10-17 15:47
It's very unlikely that google would be a big help, considering that that error message is emitted by our code.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-17 16:00
Yes, it seems to be wglCreateContext straight-up failing. I guess the best cause of action would be to add some more logging there?

But it's really strange for this to be failing all of sudden...
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-17 21:56
I've already googled for the log message and like Isilkor said, it didn't show up useful results.
Is it sure, that the problem is caused by the driver? I have several installations of Openclonk in different folders and in some other folders I just unpacked the game. (For example one installation in "K:\Games\OpenClonk" and another one in "K:\Games\Openclonk\OpenClonk 2" and a snapshot extracted into a folder on the desktop.) Could this cause a problem like this?
Should I post the dmp file?
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-10-18 08:57
Have you tried turning off "Hochauflösende Landschaft" in the options?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2012-10-18 12:46
That won't do anything, that's for sure. This is OpenGL initialization failing - essentially the engine saying "I would like to use OpenGL for this window". Apparently the operating system answers "no" for some reason.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-18 19:37
The way you're saying it makes me think he should try the compatibility settings.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-18 19:45
Already tried them. :/
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-18 21:38
Good one. ;)
I turned off triple buffering for opengl.

It was activated, because it is supposed to give you a better framerate if VSync is activated and the framerate lower then the refresh rate.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Game doesn't start