Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Experience and ranks
- - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-19 00:59
Hi there
I have two questions regarding the experience and ranks of your clonks:

1. How does a clonk improve if he ranks up? Back in Clonk planet, a clonk had "skills" like climbing and swimming. When he got to a higher rank, his skills were increased, he had more HP and was stronger in melee and stuff. Is this similar in OpenClonk?

2. What actions give experience? I was just wondering for what my clonks get experience, like for cutting trees or for blowing up iron veins?

cheers
Thoradyn
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-19 01:26
That is a good question. :\
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-19 03:01
Unless I am very much mistaken, the rank is just an indicator of how experienced you are playing the game for other players to see.

As a game mechanic, I think it's horrible design to give experienced players bonuses; it's reverse balancing. This is why things like "Fair Crew" had to be introduced. Now all clonks are physically equal at all times, regardless of rank.
Parent - - By Yokaikp [in] Date 2012-10-19 12:10
But why not introduce LEVELLING???So that ppl cud enjoy focusing on one clonk only(With 50 Hp,It dies EASILY)so higher the level=better the HP atleast?
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-19 12:46
I think it would be unfair of a new player plays against a experienced one. As a newbie it's already difficult enough to play against someone who knows exactly how the game works, even of they has the same level. And i think all agree that openclonk wants to attract new players and not scare them away by them having to play against imbalanced enemies.

On the other hand: Fair Clonks Button, "noob-servers", etc...
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-19 12:56 Edited 2012-10-19 13:01
It was like this in Clonk Rage, uplevelled Clonks had more energy. This was one of the most - if the most - criticised point about the levelling system: newcomers not only suffer from lack of skill but also are the Clonks of more experienced players much harder to kill. While this was somehow acceptable in settlement rounds (but still kinda important when it comes to fair competition ;) ), people were furiously complaining about this in melee scenarios. This was the reason why the "fair crew" button was introduced; enabling this button then disabled any custom trained values and guaranteed fairness.
Of course, it would be possible to reinvent such things as the fair crew button. But often enough, newbies were lured into networks games, didn't know about this fair crew stuff and then got frustated by getting bashed so badly.

Another thing is that training your Clonks always requires saving the level of training locally on your system. In the past, some people used this to plainly cheat, setting the amount of energy their Clonks had to extreme levels (of course, again, there are steps to think of to prevent this).

/e
So, it's not unthinkable to have training and all this but there are downsides to conquer :)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 02:04
One trend of levelling I've noticed in plenty of games is round-temporary bonuses, where at the end of the round they are forgotten. Obviously they would have to be gained pretty quickly, and have relatively low maximum levels.

Of course, I don't see the point in adding any levelling right now. If someone has some cool ideas, I won't be opposed on principal. ;)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-19 08:10
To answer the second question: In CR the Clonk would get experience for pressing buttons when controlling. I don't think that has changed.

And the rank is purely visual so that you can boast about it :)
Parent - - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-19 15:19
thanks all for the many answers.

I would love too see my clonks attributes rising when he levels up. Well, the many many disadvantages you listed up here make clear that this feature is questionable, though. In Settlement rounds CLonk with growing stats would be great and even in arena scenarios it might be a good feature for experienced players to keep the game interesting. But this is only possible if there is a feature for newbes like rounds without experienced clonks, as well as explaining the issue in a tutorial.

Well, maybe you think about implementing growing stats in a fair way one day, but I understand that it wont be added in the near future and it might not be added at all.
So Thanks for the good answers and maybe its worth a further discussion =)
Parent - - By Anonymous [de] Date 2012-10-19 18:47
I played Clonk 4 (registered by sending a letter, yay, no Internet 15 years ago) for months, exchanging progess on a floppy disk with one of my friends. That was one of my best times in life.

Then I came back when Clonk Planet got freeware, it was not so much fun anymore. There was just too much (all of this western and sci-fi stuff and more and more fighting and less focus on leveling). It was not much fun.

Endeavour was not much different from Planet. So I skipped it completly. Rage was never free. I tried it, but same problem like Planet and endeavour: More and more stuff, less leveling.

Then I came back to OpenClonk. I was hoping about some "oldschool" gameplay. But it seems the game is also heading in the melee direction without leveling (I was shocked when hearing that the hut won't be implemented as a working building for recovering and strorage). It's sad that all the Clonk games are less and less about the Clonks ("raising them" by training, building a nice settlement for them), but more and more about multiplayer melee (buildings mostly for creating weapons and no leveling anymore).

I'd really like to see again a Clonk where it's possible to create a very big map, build a working town, gather resources, train the clonks while doing all this, and all without being distracted by menus flooded with stuff that is not needed - and all in singleplayer or with two players at one single Computer.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-19 20:03
Nothing speaks against having trainable Clonks as a game mode or rule for those "open world scenarios".

But there is no need for supporting that engine-side (with Fair-Crew button etc.) because usually in most of the only rounds it is simply not needed.
And if it is really needed, it can be implement by script relatively easily for all scenarios that use such a "individual Clonks" game rule - that could even be a nice project for someone who wants to start developing stuff for OpenClonk ;)
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-20 02:14
I once made an archetype for saving/loading a clonk's inventory, and I can attest that RPG-esque physicals would be even easier to do in script.
Parent - By Thoradyn [de] Date 2012-10-19 20:22
I understand you point well.
Leveling is not the most important feature to me, but it would be a nice option when the devs have all the important things done.
I like the aspect of setteling most, too. The PlayerVsPlayer scenarios are quite good at the moment, you have a plenty of weapons, too.
So I would like to encourage the developers to work more for settlement features. First, a huge scenario for free settlement, and after than new objects and buildings. Furthermore, I miss a little bit the combination of fights and settlement. I little war, were everybody has (witch a peace-time feature maybe) to build a settlement first, and then arm the clonks and meet on the battleground or even raid the enemy town. You choose which weapons you build and stuff. But first, focus on peaceful settlement.

Keep in mind that this are only suggestions. =)
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-19 19:05
Maybe it could be set on "Fair Crew" until you push the "Unfair Crew" button. If you did put that into the game then have a popup explanation for newbies on the "Unfair Crew" button. Just an idea. :)
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-19 23:17
That would still make the game easier the longer you play. If you want the oldschool "not all clonks can hangle or scale and you have to pick dependant on how dangerous a mission is", I'd rather introduce a rule that gives you a limited number of Clonks with skills.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-20 03:02

>I'd rather introduce a rule that gives you a limited number of Clonks with skills.

Yes, like one "mane" clonk.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Experience and ranks