Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / New Tree
- - By Andriel Date 2012-10-24 13:08
Some of you may know the site cgcookie. They recently did an iOS game called "eatsheep". On its official website, they also offer some game assets for download, including a tree. I downloaded it and quickly exported it. I could further work on this model, add roots and so on, but first I need to know if the license is okay for OpenClonk. On the website it says "Asset downloads are licensed under Creative Commons 3.0". I can also write an email to them.
Below is an ingame screenshot.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-24 13:10
Email them about the exact license please, if they don't reply we can assume it is okay.
Parent - By Andriel Date 2012-10-24 13:31
OK, I sent an email. Could take a while until they respond, though.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-10-24 13:39
Author: CG Cookie, INC http://cgcookie.com
License: You are free to use this for commercial or personal use. We do ask that you do not redistribute them on model sites, or other means without drastic modification. You ARE welcome to use them in your games!

If you happen to use them in a game, let us know as we would love to see how these assets are being helpful to the community. Credit back also to use is always much appreciated!

Enjoy!

This is in the readme that comes with the tree. The license should be OK.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-24 13:44
Argh, I knew I read this somewhere! Thank you, I'll start working on it.
PS: Do you think the original texture is okay, or is it too cartoonish?
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-24 14:59
I heard ringwaul changed the Texture of the old Tree, you could pn him and ask which you should use.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-10-24 14:59
The texture is okay, but I'd bend the lowest leaves a little inwards. Also, the top looks a bit like a tent. :/
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-10-24 15:30
That's because the game it is used in is a top-down puzzle. It looks also ugly in front of sky because there are gaps between the "leaves". I will report back when I modified it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-24 16:23
Mh, what about improving on the existing model of the Coniferous? :)
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-10-24 16:25
Then we'd still be stuck with one tree only? I'm in favor of having multiple kinds of trees.
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-25 03:07

>Do you think the original texture is okay, or is it too cartoonish?

Definitely strikes me as too cartoonish. Whereas the other trees in the game have a rough attempt at realism, this tree is intentionally stylized. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that it will look out of place with everything else. The number one factor making something look bad is inconsistency. The model itself looks nice; the top may have to be fixed so it looks more organic, though.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-10-24 17:02 Edited 2012-10-24 20:25

>  The license should be OK.

We can't be sure about that.

> We do ask that you do not redistribute them on model sites, or other means without drastic modification.

You might say this is just a request "please don't do that" but you're on the safer side saying what they want to say is "you are not allowed to do this". I don't know if anyone here is an expert on US law who can assure us that the latter is not the case.
The latter statement clearly is a restriction and therefore not compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines which we are trying to comply with.
Or in short: We probably can't use it.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-24 23:16
Hm. I have to agree with Clonkonaut I've herd about a lot of games that have gotten in trouble for licensing violations. :\
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-26 17:15
Look, I found this link in the GWX forum. It explains how to quickly make a tree in Blender. But I don't know if it's available in the version OC uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVqOSRT91I&list=PL9FE4ACC7E521FBBF&index=1&feature=plpp_video
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-26 17:29
That does not look low-poly, so such a tree could probably not be used :)

The tree there is most likely for static images
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-26 18:20
I thoght with the right settings you could maybe create something with few polys. But I dunno.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / New Tree