Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / We need a new video showcasing OpenClonk
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-27 05:55
I am willing to produce another one as per the popular "alpha footage" trailer, but would like some help from the community with footage. Since ping across the pond is atrocious, I cannot realistically get footage of multiplayer rounds; I'd like some willing individuals to make records their play sessions this weekend. If you want to be especially cool, you could screencast it yourself and pick out the good parts, so I don't have to screencast countless hours of records before I start cutting. :>

Some particular shot ideas requiring multiplayer:
• Some clonks lumbering together
• melee fight. ie: sword/club/shield/javelin
• some firefights with muskets/bows.
• Clonk floating with balloon firing from above. Gets shot down
• Shooting down an airship in an airplane (I can probably do this singleplayer with console)

/script to the max! I don't care if it's staged :]

Cheers
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-10-27 09:10
At the moment, none of my records from Network games work :(
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-27 09:19
You should coordinate with Maikel. I think he has already started collecting footage. Also what resolution do you need? I could record and send you some .avis
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-27 17:44
1280x720 is the best 'standard' I can do with my hardware, so aim for that. :)
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-27 11:43
I have some cool recordings, but every 2nd file is like invalid. Is there a way to repair broken recordings?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-10-27 12:11
Records only work with exactly the same version (of engine and game files) they were recorded with.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-27 12:15
That is not the problem.

Some recordings do not work even if you recorded them and try to play them in the same session without even exiting Clonk.
Something is really broken there
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-10-27 12:18
Can you upload one such recording (done with the current stable release version)?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-27 12:25
I fortunately did not have that error yet.

Fluff, can you?
Parent - By Andriel Date 2012-10-27 12:49
Here you are.
Attachment: Broken.zip (8578k)
Parent - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-10-27 12:50
Doot.
Attachment: 002-Overcast.ocs (689k)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-10-27 12:20
I think this has to do something with the Assertion Error, you get at the and of a round sometimes.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-27 14:41
A nice initiative :)

I''ll supply you with some records, or videos, whatever is preferred. 1080p is fine I guess, I think we should go for max resulotion on youtube.

Also I was working on getting one single youtube channel for videos from the oc devs... but someone stole or project name: openclonk
So, I'll probably name the account some something like OpenclonkDevTeam for now...

Also some combinations might do good:
*club + object
*Shooting from a balloon
*jar of winds and bow
and I especially like in flight kills with arrows or javelins :)
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-27 15:11

>Also I was working on getting one single youtube channel for videos from the oc devs... but someone stole or project name: openclonk

Mh, can one claim such a name with a nice message to youtube? Especially since that user has no real activity.

Otherwise: "OpenClonk Project"?
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-10-27 23:10
Yeah, I wanted to write youtube and the user himself, but for that we need a youtube username on this account first.
Will make a user name OpenClonkProject (no white spaces allowed) on Monday and do the relevant inquiries.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-27 17:33
Hum, I don't think I can do 1080p. My monitor's max resolution is 1440x900. :(

720p is the best I can do, I guess. Might as well send it as such to keep file size low for its transatlantic voyage.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-27 23:11
Okay will do.

Do you still have the old video, so that I can transfer that to the new channel?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-28 01:03
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-29 19:49
It's on the channel now :)

How did you manage to keep it so small?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-10-30 01:17
When I originally uploaded it I was on dial-up, so I compressed the hell out of it. Wouldn't have been able to post it had I not.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-30 07:30
Mh, might be a good idea to add the version number to the title or the description (for a trailer) - especially if there are more videos going to be posted
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-10-30 08:27
I am not happy with our version number, and do you know which version that was? There is already Alpha in the name, but I can add it.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-30 12:22
It doesn't have to be 100% accurate. Just so that the chronological order is a bit clearer.
"1.0" (or 2.0?) and the new trailer would be "3.0"
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-10-30 14:28
Agreed, will do that tonight.
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-28 16:44
IF you had all the time in the world it would be super cool if you had a 3d intro that phases into the flat normal look of open clonk. Just a idea, but super time consuming.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-10-28 18:54
Yes, that is probably a bit out of the available resources :)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-10-28 20:38
Yes, I thought so, but it's nice to fantasize. :D
- - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-02 05:31
Video is finished! View here.

This was a joint effort between myself, Maikel, and Zapper. Thanks guys!

ps: The video is unlisted, so this isn't "public" yet. It will be uploaded to the OpenClonk channel on youtube shortly.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-02 09:18
Nice!
Parent - - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-11-02 13:21
Well done! I like how the music fits most of the time. And <3 the time lapse scene!

Permission to post this on clonkspot? :)
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-11-02 13:37
Yes after I uploaded it to the official channel tonight, please.
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-11-02 18:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJZ9WsevGE&feature=plcp

There it is, thanks Ringwaul!

Newton can you link this to the frontpage now?
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2012-11-02 19:01
Thanks for notifying me.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2012-11-02 20:24
Awesome, too bad the quality is so mediocre, there are so many funny details to see there.
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2012-11-02 21:22
Yah. But the music is great. :D
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-11-02 21:38
Yes, I might redo it at some point, if I have set up better software and Ringwaul is willing to show/give me the stuff.

I think in the future we should aim for 720/1080p
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-03 01:22
All my recordings were done at 960x540, because my processor sucks and can only render 720p at 15fps. :(
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-08 01:21
You can record the game with 15 fps and then in the video editor speed it up to 38 fps. (2.4 x speed) The framerate has to be stable for this. But that sucks, because you have to sit through all the rounds with 15 fps that makes it very boring to capture it.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-08 01:55
But then it will look like one of those old silent movies where everyone runs around very fast. :o
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-08 13:44
Hm, no, because if the game runs at 15 fps and you record it with 15 fps you won't loose any frames. If you speed it up to 38 again it's how fast the original game would run without lag.

Only problem is the sound, because it doesn't get slowed down in slow framerates, it always plays at original speed. To get the sound, you would have to sit through a recording again and record the sound in original speed and then lay it on top of the speed up footage.
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-09 02:38
Oh, I see what you mean. As for sound it doesn't really matter anyways because my soundcard lacks the necessary "Stereo Mix" funcitonality to record sound sent to the audio device.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 15:33
I just came across a program that's called Dxtory. It's like Fraps, but better in any way. E.g. even I had only ~20 fps while recording clonk with Fraps. (I think it has something to do with the cpu cores the programs run on) But with Dxtory I get full 38 fps when recording. I'm on a quad core though, so I don't know how it would work for you since you said your cpu is a bit slow.

Also a question for everyone: I heard Clonk Rage can convert recordings directly into avi, is that true?
Parent - By Caesar [de] Date 2012-11-10 16:10

>I heard Clonk Rage can convert recordings directly into avi, is that true?

Afair, the technique is to do a screenshot of all frames. Slow as hell and gives you huge files. Not hard to implement though.
Parent - - By Nachtschatten Date 2012-11-12 22:10
Let me add my criticism. In short: While it's (technically) well done, it wouldn't really wake my interest. (Also loved the music. Good choice!)
First of all, I liked the time lapse part at the end very much. The menus popping up ruin it somewhat, though. You should either show no menus at all or long enough to see what they do. Still, this is the part I enjoyed the most.

In the other sequences, the trailer does show a lot of cool stuff you can do and use in the game, which is good. However, what's shown lacks coherence. There's nothing that helps understanding how everything fits together or what the core goal(s) of the game is(are). Especially in the beginning, scene follows scene without (obvious) connection: You see little people chopping trees, picking up stuff, flying blimps and riding elevators. But what for? Then, all of a sudden, the video switches to Soldat-like battle action, which is followed by the settlement time lapse.

That leaves a lot of questions open, such as "that all happens on the same map, right?" or "what is it good for what I'm seeing?" or "Is this a clone of Worms/Soldat/Terraria? Or is it something new?" It's hard to tell, really.

Of course, you may take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not actually new to Clonk. Still, I believe I would walk away from your trailer confused (instead of excited/interested).

Now, I want to conclude the posting with some suggestions for improvement. In general, be more explicit. Subtitles may help (but use them rarely). A more elegant transition between melee and settlement: Don't switch just like that. Instead, clearly show the map selection screen, giving the hint that you're now starting an arena map, a settlement map, etc.
Re-order the scenes so they tell a short story (small base -> intention to build -> needs wood -> cut tree). Perhaps, even insert the scenes in the time lapse video, so it "slows down" for interesting actions.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-12 22:30
I wouldn't like a trailer that tries to explain everything in the game and how it all works. It's like all these Let's Plays of the previous Clonk titles, where the guys first explain 15 minutes why we shoud play it and that there are different kind of maps and  that Redwolf Design made the game, etc, etc. It's like 'geez who cares. I want to see some gameplay action!'
Parent - By Nachtschatten Date 2012-11-13 00:22 Edited 2012-11-13 00:25

> I wouldn't like a trailer that tries to explain everything

Agreed. That would be the opposite case of what you have now, and probably be just as bad.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-11-13 00:36
I disagree with coherence requirement. The trailer is there to tease the player into trying the game, so it doesn't really need to "make sense".

There's probably a minimum amount of red line you need to follow so you don't show scenes that are just irritating for the player. You introduce stuff slowly. You first show the Clonk running around so the player knows what he's playing. Then you zoom out and show the landscape. Then you show buildings, fights, etc. But that's done just fine in the video.

Today I saw a trailer of Final Fantasy XIV, and although it was only cutscenes and didn't make much sense at all, it made me check for more info about what happened to the series (I was disappointed tho :( ).
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-13 02:42

>it made me check for more info about what happened to the series (I was disappointed tho :( ).

Since X, I've been expecting stupidity, so I can't get disappointed at the series anymore.
Up Topic General / General / We need a new video showcasing OpenClonk