Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Eclipse setup problems
- - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-07 23:13
Hi, I tried to set up the C4DT for OpenClonk in eclipse.

The last thing I did was creating a new clonk project named OpenClonk. I installed the game from the official release before, so I chose "link" to the groups. Now I have an OpenClonk project in the project explorer and all the linked objects and folders and stuff. But I can't launch scenarios that are in the list.

It says "Fehlende oder ungültige Engine-Datei: K:\Spiele\Open Clonk\eclipse\Unspecified"

And I can create new scenarios, but they only show up in the workspace folder as folders (e.g. NewScenario.ocs). How do I get them into the actual game path as a packed file?

What comes now I haven't done yet. It says:

>To actually edit stuff, you need to create a new project that references the project containing the linked c4groups. Actually, this is not strictly necessary but advisable to keep things clear.

Does this mean I have to make another clonk project? Is this step neccessary?
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-07 23:34

>It says "Fehlende oder ungültige Engine-Datei: K:\Spiele\Open Clonk\eclipse\Unspecified"

That translates to "missing or invalid engine-file: ..." which  just means that you have not yet set a Clonk.exe to use with your project. You can do that in Eclipse under Window->Preferences->Clonk->OpenClonk->Engine and just select your Clonk.exe there

>Does this mean I have to make another clonk project? Is this step neccessary?

Yes and no. C4Group is a zip-Format that is used for various reasons to compress the Clonk object-files. And while the object-files are packed (compressed) you cannot edit them.
Note that if you unpack them, you might take longer to load, so I would advise that you either have one "play folder" and one "development folder" for OpenClonk where everything is unpacked (you should be able to do that in eclipse via [right-click]) or that you use the OpenClonk repository to get the object folders (they are unpacked there), which has the advantage that you always have the newest files, too :)
Also it might be a good practice if you have never used TortoiseHG before (which you would need to download the repository), because you can easily create patches etc. there.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-07 23:52
Thanks for the quick answer.

How would the TortoiseHG setup work? Clone the repo into the "development folder" (wich is workspace/Openclonk/)?
Is it cool to make scenarios with the newest contents of the repo? Will they work with the stable release engine and objects.ocd?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-08 00:05

>How would the TortoiseHG setup work?

Install TortoiseHG. Make a folder "OpenClonk" somewhere and clone the repository into that folder. Then in Eclipse select the /planet subfolder of /OpenClonk as the Clonk home directory.

>Is it cool to make scenarios with the newest contents of the repo? Will they work with the stable release engine and objects.ocd?

I cannot guarantee that (since there always might be changes or fixes). But if you want to you can update your repository version to be the same version of the release package with just a few clicks :)
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-07 23:35 Edited 2012-11-07 23:40
Yes Zapper, you were right, I forgot to select the game path. ._.

Hm, I clicked import and now can open all rounds in the engine and even drag and drop objects into the game. But all changes are saved in /workspace/OpenClonk/. How do I get the normal game path to be updated when I create new scenarios?

Ah, I think you have to right click and choose "Export".
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-08 00:26
Is there a way to quickly set values for a scenario like knowledge, wealth and start material? Or do I have to type in everything per hand into the scenario.txt?
How do you guys efficientely make new rounds?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-08 02:21

>How do you guys efficientely make new rounds?

Copy+Paste an existing round, delete everything in Script.c, modify Scenario.txt to have a new name and change its settings to what I need (also change Title.txt). Then I draw the Map.bmp in gimp (using my pre-made palette.xcf as a base) because I don't understand the generator very well, and begin writing a new scenario script from scratch.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-08 07:27
To be fair, the knowledge (and related) things are still pretty cumbersome: Knowledge=Lorry=1;Shovel=1;...
A CR-style point&click editor would help a lot (does Clonkonauts tool include that?) (Mortimer!)
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-08 08:11
Eh, I just add knowledge via script anyways... which is probably more cumbersome, tbh...

But at least I can deal with it all in one file instead of switching back and forth. :/
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-08 10:07
Agreed, would be cool to have an abstraction layer around that!
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2012-11-08 14:53
Write custom interfaces in Java/SWT? D: D:
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-11-08 18:49

> does Clonkonauts tool include that?

Yes.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-09 00:35
And it's funny how you can select a Ladebalken as a knowledge, because it's a vehicle. But that's a problem from the object not from your editor.

But starting scenarios doesn't work for me. It opens the engine, but doesn't load the scenario. I have to select it with file... open. And drag and drop doesn't seem work either.
Parent - - By Clonkonaut [de] Date 2012-11-09 07:35
I'd be happy to receive any feedback because almost no one did report bugs so far. Would be nice if you could give me a detailed report in the editor thread.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 18:28
I didn't actually have any more issues. Other then the scenario preferences dialougue looks a bit confusing and the preview for landscape width and height are gone.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-09 18:29
A preview window for title pictures would be cool :)
Parent - - By Mortimer [de] Date 2012-11-10 12:54
Like that ?
It's Window -> Show View -> Type in Preview and you should find it.
If you meant something else.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 18:16
Ah it's because some things don't have the descriptions and title.png, sry.
Parent - - By Mortimer [de] Date 2012-11-10 12:52
Soon…
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-11-10 12:53
Don't forget that for OpenClonk the stuff like vegetation etc. is and should be done in the script :)

PS: Once you have the dialog, could it automaticall translate it into script?
For example when you select five Birds, it could put into script (in function CreateEnvironment or something like that..) Bird->Place(5);
It would only have to parse from that function, too :x
Parent - By Mortimer [de] Date 2012-11-10 12:54
Oh. Will look into that.
Parsing functions.. I already store abstract syntax trees for all functions anywhere, so that should not be too hard >_>
Parent - - By Mortimer [de] Date 2012-12-02 16:53
Pushed an update which actually contains a scenario properties dialog with some semblance of being useful.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-12-02 17:42
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Eclipse setup problems