Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / General / Possible editor mode enhancements
- - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 18:17
Let's make something like a little brainstorming on how the editor mode could be improved to make it more comfortable for people to create new scenarios.
Here are some suggestions of mine:

- when you run a scenario in editor mode the game should start paused. So you can prepare yourself for possible events that start at the beginning of the round.

- a rotate tool for objects could come in handy. So you don't have to rotate objects like roots via script.

- another tool I sometimes wished the engine would have is a fill-tool for the landscape editor. To quickly replce a material with another.

- An undo button, if you accidentaly deleted an object or drew some poop into the landscape. (On a sidenote there is a bug at least since CR. While drawing, when you go out of the viewport with a held down mouse button and go back in it's like you are still holding down the button, even if it's released. You can accidentally destroy lots of the landscape if you aren't careful!)

- Better viewport controls. It has been discussed that the scrollbars don't work 100%. My idea would be to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel and navigate through the landscape with holding down the middle mouse button and "drag" the landscape left and right and up and down. Or hold down shift or crtl to do this. Or have a hand drag tool in the toolbox

- I don't know how this could be done, but have support for objects like switches and stone doors. To quickly determine wich switch controls wich door. Or have quick access to the functions that connect the objects together. Activating things like the ropebridge could also be faster.

- Faster access to all the script functions. Maybe type in the first few characters of a function and then recieve the suggestions for the function. If you select one you get the function ready with all syntax parameters. So you don't have to learn by heart wich functions have which parameters and the order of these parameters.

- ...?
Parent - - By Fluff [gb] Date 2012-11-10 18:41

>- I don't know how this could be done, but have support for objects like switches and stone doors. To quickly determine wich switch controls wich door. Or have quick access to the functions that connect the objects together. Activating things like the ropebridge could also be faster.

In a similar vein, better support for moving platforms and the like. Let people place them without needing to script.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-10 21:51
For the moving platforms, they are actually very easy to set up:
// Moving Bricks
var brick;
brick = CreateObject(MovingBrick, x, y);
brick->MoveVertical(min, max);
//or
brick->MoveHorizontal(min, max);
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 23:12
Shouldn't these functions show up on top of the drop-down menue in the properties window?
Parent - - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-10 23:17
You'd have to make specific engine changes to allow that for arbitrary functions... that's a LOT more trouble than it's worth.
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 23:24
Doesn't the CR editor show these functions?
Parent - By Ringwaul [ca] Date 2012-11-11 00:17
Oh, I see what you mean. I totally misunderstood what you said. :o

I remember this happening in the CR editor as well. Dunno what happened to it in OC. >_>
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2012-11-10 21:47

>- when you run a scenario in editor mode the game should start paused. So you can prepare yourself for possible events that start at the beginning of the round.

Such events are rather rare, imagine what a pain it would be to always resume the game if there was no such event. Furthermore, if the game already starts paused, nothing will happen. You would have to pause it after one or two frames. And what if the event happens at the fourth frame?

>- a rotate tool for objects could come in handy. So you don't have to rotate objects like roots via script.

That's the most important feature on this list, imho.

>- another tool I sometimes wished the engine would have is a fill-tool for the landscape editor. To quickly replce a material with another.

I never needed something like this, so I can't say anything about it.

>- An undo button, if you accidentaly deleted an object or drew some poop into the landscape.

That would come in handy quite often, but I think it is rather hard to implement, because you had to save everything you changed, like moving something, drawing a material, ...

>- Better viewport controls.

I think it is already a lot better in OC, because you can zoom out and therefore have a better overview of the map.

>- Faster access to all the script functions.

I agree, a small mouse-hover-over tooltip like in Eclipse would be very helpful!

Something I would like to have: Bigger object properties windows, maybe with a better structure, but just making them resizable would already make it a lot easier to view the properties, especially since there is much more information showen in them in OC. Look at the clonks properties for example!
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2012-11-10 23:07

>I think it is already a lot better in OC, because you can zoom out and therefore have a better overview of the map.

But when zoomed in (at least I) can't access some parts of the map anymore. When zoomed out far away it's hard to place objects exactly where you want them to be.
Up Topic General / General / Possible editor mode enhancements