Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Rebalancing: Wood and Loam
- - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-12-16 20:50 Edited 2012-12-16 22:41

Wood

Now that we've played a couple of different settlement scenarios in OC, I'd like to suggest some rebalancing on the resources. My biggest gripe is wood. In order to set up sawmill+flag+wind-generator, so you need:
WindGenerator: 4 wood, 1 metal
Sawmill: 2 wood, 4 rock
Flagpole: 4 wood, 1 metal

To make things worse, if the scenario has moderate wind conditions you pretty much need to build two wind generators (or wait forever until the wind happens to be a bit stronger). That means you need 14 wood to get the basic settlement going, which is 7 trees cut with the regular axe until you can make use of the better capabilities of the sawmill.

As a scenario designer, if you want the player to be able to build other stuff as well, you need to put ~10 trees in direct range of the base. This just doesn't work for scenarios where the amount of building space is limited. I suggest the following changes:

* Wind generator down to 3 wood, 1 metal
* Flagpole down to 3 wood, 1 metal
* Sawmill down to 1 wood, 4 rock
* Trees give 5 wood (that's still 2 wood with direct chopping) to make the sawmill even more efficient
* Reduce maximum number of trees by ~20%, because trees tend to cause so much lag
* Reduce amount of power needed by sawmill to make sure one wind generator is enough even with moderate wind conditions

Loam

Loam is a very basic raw material that is useful on so many occasions, I really hate how it is so hard to make. I understand that it can also destroy many scenarios by allowing you to shortcut all obstacles, so we wouldn't want to make it too easy to get that extra loam. But once you've built the infrastructure, fetching water over and over is so cumbersome and you cannot even carry multiple barrels! I suggest this:
* Reduce water needed so one full barrel is enough for 5 pieces of loam
* Increase earth needed so one bucket is enough for one piece of loam only
Parent - - By Maikel Date 2012-12-16 20:57
agreed, why the increase in earth costs for loam?
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-12-16 22:40
It feels a bit weird to build a huge brigde from the tiny amount of earth you got from the bucket. Also, you can automate stuff by carrying multiple buckets.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2012-12-16 22:51
I guess currently you can even create earth with loam? (get earth, build loam -> get more earth)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-12-17 14:12
Hm, I notice that's actually problematic because the bucket doesn't make sure it fills itself completely. Maybe the current cost is OK after all; you usually get just one piece of loam from a bucket.
Parent - By Maikel Date 2012-12-17 14:35
Indeed, also the bucket is quite cumbersome to fill, it's not like just digging out 20 chunks of earth.
Parent - By Caesar Date 2012-12-17 12:58
Hey, we have pumps, don't we? If you build one, you can drain larger reservoirs. Shouldn't that be enough?
Parent - - By Isilkor Date 2012-12-17 15:26
I've just fixed #885 so the foundry actually uses the earth now; maybe not using up the bucket's contents skewed the perception how easy it is to make loam in the first place.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2012-12-17 15:55
Yes, that was probably the reason :)

I left it at 25 now.
Up Topic Development / Scenario & Object Development / Rebalancing: Wood and Loam