Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Openclonk 3.3 Release testing
- - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-02 18:43
Clonk-Karl and I cherrypicked all the bugfixes for 3.3. Here are the binaries for testing:

http://londeroth.org/~ck/dry-release/

We already tested a little bit and found these issues that should be analyzed further:

+ somebody needs to compile a mac build and see if it works
+ switching resolution is buggy in windowed mode (seems to be the same on master)
+ using the lorry and the elevator together is buggy

These issues are not release-blocking since they are probably also present in 3.2 but still it would be nice to have them fixed. We are both not at home tomorrow, so the rest of the (networked) playtesting etc. is up to you! Otherwise, have fun playtesting tomorrow! A blog post draft has been prepared.
Parent - - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-02 18:49

>+ using the lorry and the elevator together is buggy

How exactly?
Related commits:
Attached objects with SolidMask (slave elevator case...
Move the elevator case behind airships
Fix elevator case to properly carry lorries (#844)

The second one is not in the 5.3 release. Note that moving the elevator behind airships is not purely visual!. The plane (as in "layer") of the elevator case affects its behavior!

PS: not sure if it is only that, though
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 11:47

> PS: not sure if it is only that, though

What else?

> http://git.openclonk.org/openclonk.git/commit/c613c86c379b0477a5512a219a812bcb6586a823

so just this one needs to be picked and then the elevator+lorry is not buggy anmore?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-04 16:17
I am not sure, the solid mask stuff is always very mysterious. But it would be my best guess.

Can't test it right now since I still have unfinished stuff in my repository and I am still scarred from hg about doing something before having pushed my commits.. :)

PS: I checked the plane of the lorry and it's 300. So the elevator case should work with the lorry without that commit!
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-02 22:00
Can we cherry-pick 4b63957? That's mostly logging, trying to find the dreaded "could not send direct control packet" bug.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-02 22:22
Uh, really? Close connection on packet loss? Doesn't that mean if you have only one connection and many people join, they keep disconnecting?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-03 20:05
It's not packet loss - it's when you actually fail to send a packet, for which there should be no reason. And I think kicking people out is better than having them continue with an inconsistent network state.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-04 12:54
Practically every large network game in CR is flooded by these messages in the lobby and we almost never get sync losses. We just have to click the team settings a couple of times until everyone has a consistent state.

It's not ideal, but it works. If connections are just closed, large games become impossible.

It may sound naive, but could it be that if you send a number (e.g.: 10) of UDP packets at the same time, the network stack just says "no" and the packet isn't sent?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-04 13:03 Edited 2013-03-04 13:09
That the packet isn't sent is expected behaviour - say when an UDP connection is used for sending resources, I expect 99% of the packets to initially get discarded, then eventually recovered (which is all very inefficient, hence UDP being really bad at this). So this happens all the time, yet in my tests the packets always got silently dropped.

My best working hypothesis is btw that this happens when the main thread and the network thread are both sending packets at the same time. In the lobby, a lot of resource packets might be going around (= network thread), while the main thread is trying to pass player info updates around (= main thread). That would explain why this happens more often the more players are active. Yet I would really expect sendto to be thread-safe...

[Edit] Which actually shouldn't happen, as the OutCSec on the Peer in question is being held. So much for that theory.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-04 13:18
Hm, actually looking more at the code, if sendto really was to blame, C4NetIO would actually give an error, but recover the packet in question. Which is still problematic, as the code on the return path assumes the packet is lost, and therefore doesn't execute it. So the direct control effect would actually be visible everywhere but on the client that caused it.

I really have to clean this up a bit. But no matter how inconsistent this might be right now, it still doesn't explain where the error is coming from.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 20:41
Sounds like this shouldn't get included into stable.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-04 20:48 Edited 2013-03-04 20:59
I'm describing what the code does that is currently "stable" :)

And it just needs to get into a some version that actually gets played. I don't really want to repeat the whole CR "stable" debacle where nobody played the "dev" version enough to actually make anything more reliable.
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-04 21:04
Since all new scenarios are in Experimental, we* actually play dev much more than we play stable.

We just never get enough people to experience the packet sending bug.

*We=Me and the people who join when I ask in #openclonk
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-04 21:24
Hm, okay. Given that most such packet drops might simply have been ignored so far, this change might also improve that rate.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 11:46
If you are confident about that, yes please do that. If this is a critical change that can possibly break other things, what needs to be tested to assure that it does not?
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-04 12:58
Network play. Pretty much every packet the network sends goes through that routine.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-04 13:00
More precisely: Try a network game with ten people. To get the message more reliably, disable TCP on the host.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-07 21:07
Tested with just one client:
[20:54]  Sven2: [20:53:42] Network: Fatal: Send failed (socket sendto failed (Resource temporarily unavailable.))
[20:54]  Sven2: Looks like we don't need 10 clients
[20:54]  Sven2: One is enough...
[20:55]  Sven2: I disabled my TCP and now I cannot join
[21:02]  Sven2: Anyway. The change should not be picked because it breaks UDP-only connections.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-07 21:08
As it is already in master, it should be fixed there too.
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-07 22:28
Should be fixed in 43bbc
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-08 15:07
So 4b639 + 43bbc?
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-08 15:33 Edited 2013-03-08 15:35
The first one isn't as important, but yes, that has a high probability of being the fix for the network bug of hell. These tend to be more stupid than anticipated.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-03 19:47
Crash Landing, Berry picking and Rock Bottom all worked in our test.
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2013-03-03 23:44

> switching resolution is buggy in windowed mode (seems to be the same on master)

I've polished this a bit, the result is at http://git.openclonk.org/guenther/experimental.git
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 11:45
Is this eligable for stable? Did you test it on your PC (Linux, Gtk I presume)? Is this change relevant for Windows too (and needs to be tested there)?
Parent - - By Günther [de] Date 2013-03-04 22:01
Depends on whether the other resolution-setting changes were picked. Yes to the other questions.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-05 01:22

> Depends on whether the other resolution-setting changes were picked

Have a look yourself, I don't know which changes you mean.
Parent - - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-07 20:39
Tested it on Windows. Now changing the resolution in windowed mode doesn't do anything anymore and if I switch between Windowed and Fullscreen, it always ignores the resolution but chooses the default desktop screen resolution.
Resizing the window in windowed mode does not scale the menus.
Parent - By Günther [de] Date 2013-03-07 22:33

> Now changing the resolution in windowed mode doesn't do anything anymore

Which is by design, changing the window size is done via the window borders.

> if I switch between Windowed and Fullscreen, it always ignores the resolution but chooses the default desktop screen resolution.

That doesn't happen with GTK. Hmz.

> Resizing the window in windowed mode does not scale the menus.

I don't have enough motivation to change that, unfortunately.
Parent - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-03-04 16:46

> + using the lorry and the elevator together is buggy

What exactly do you mean by "buggy"? Is the lorry not transported? Does the elevator control not work? Does it not work with two coupled elevators?
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-04 18:09
I don't know if it's still relevant, but CreatePartickeAtBone() is pretty cool and didn't break anything in the few games I used it in.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-03-04 18:17
ck! Submeshes, please :)?
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 20:40
Its not a bugfix but a new feature though. The content of the stable release is limited to bugfixes.
- By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-04 12:24
Hm, why wasn't the stable released yesterday? Did nobody feel responsible for that? Did nobody know how to push the changesets and push the release button?
What was the problem?
Up Topic Development / Developer's Corner / Openclonk 3.3 Release testing