Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Some kind of oak tree
- - By Andriel Date 2013-03-26 15:28
Hello folks, I made this tree:

Please feel free to express criticism.

PS:
Does anyone know how to get rid of that strange crescent-shaped shadow outlining the crown?
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-03-26 18:12
Oh yes, new trees! \o/
I like the big leaves, but the treetop looks too much of a half sphere. It should be mure fuzzy and not have such a smooth outline imho.
Parent - - By ker [de] Date 2013-03-26 18:28
i like the smooth part. makes it look moreā€¦ like a tree in a game :D
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-03-26 19:34
I think it makes it look a bit mushroom-y. I like the idea with the oversized leaves though, maybe a bit of a different arrangement could make it look more natural?
Parent - By Nachtfalter [de] Date 2013-03-26 18:46
I don't like the shape at all (if it's a bush ok, but a tree?) and the fact there are only 20? leaves. Also the roots are a bit clunky. The environment is a very important aspect of the game-aesthetics. This tree is there, but there is no life in it [/crooked English skills off]. (don't want to sound rude, but that's my opinion)
- - By Andriel Date 2013-03-29 17:39
I was just going to post my progress here, but than I noticed some strange texture errors ingame. I highlighted it in the comparison shot below, the leaves texture seems to be cut off and a lot of backfaces are not being drawn.

What could be the reason for this? Here's my scene.material.
Parent - By Newton [de] Date 2013-03-29 23:36
Hmm, I am kinda in-line with Nachtfalter's comment on that tree. Now with your enhanced version you just converted the one "Haube" into two.

Bigger leaves and a thicker trunk than what would be realistic sounds good in my opinion, but otherwise see Nachtfalter. I imagine trees in this style (also CC-By btw) http://opengameart.org/content/low-poly-trees-stumps-branches would fit much better in the game. They have this friendly-nature and slightly unrealistic look, I like this.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-30 10:41
Probably it's due to the way the sorting of faces is done for meshes with transparent textures. It looks to me like this can be fixed by not writing into the depth buffer for low (zero) alpha values (alpha test). If you can send me the full object I could try that out, and maybe try other things if this does not work out.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-03-30 15:35
This happens also for the coniferous tree, I've never noticed it before, actually.

Adding "depth_write off" makes these artifacts disappear, but I don't know if that's the best solution, as the Artists Guide says that you should remove it. Anyway, here is the object.
Attachment: Oak.ocd.zip (2320k)
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-30 16:59

> Adding "depth_write off" makes these artifacts disappear

That's a good point actually (one could just disable the depth test). Since the faces are sorted from front to back the depth buffer is not really needed (except for overlapping faces...). I think I'll experiment a bit with the two trees, but yeah, maybe this is a good solution.
Parent - - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-03-31 16:16
I have changed this for the coniferous tree:
Parent - - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-05 22:09
Nice! \o/   
I personally like the look of the tree. And I have to say open clonk really needs more vegetation.

P.S. I it would be cool if the mushroom that is already made could be eaten and that it would randomly give or take away health. :)
Parent - - By Sven2 [de] Date 2013-04-05 22:14
The small mushroom can already be eaten (pick up with Space first). The big mushroom can be chopped down to gain wood in cave scenarios.

I think the small mushroom should give some more health though. It's barely noticeable.
Parent - By Pyrit Date 2013-04-05 22:24

>It's barely noticeable.

That's because you must cook it first. :D
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-04-05 22:32
Ok. So you can eat it but I think that before it is cooked that it would randomly give or take away health.
Parent - - By Andriel Date 2013-04-10 14:20
I think this is the reason trees don't lag anymore when zooming in! :D
Anyway, how did you get my tree to look like that in the second screenshot? I tweaked the model a bit (fixed intersections), I have depth_check off but it looks like in your first screenshot... (I'm using a snapshot including your change)
Parent - By Clonk-Karl [de] Date 2013-04-10 15:18
The second screenshot is with depth_check off in the Scene.material, that's the only difference between the two.
Up Topic Development / Art Workshop / Some kind of oak tree