Not logged inOpenClonk Forum
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Mutiplayer Problems
- - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-05-25 23:45
I tried a wireless adhoc connection to play open clonk multiplayer but it was way to slow, the connection was great my computers ran it fine single player but it was just to slow mutiplayer. Is there a way to turn down the max fps or is there something else that would help?
Parent - - By Pyrit Date 2013-05-26 00:18
I think you are looking for /fast 2. (Typed into the chat window by the host) That should drop every second frame and thus speed the game up.
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-26 00:31
But only if the problem is the drawing. And that doesn't seem like that if single player runs fine :)
Parent - By J. J. [py] Date 2013-05-26 18:29
I will have to try the thing Pyrit suggested next time and if that dose not work then maybe I can get more advice and thank you all for the feedback. :)
Parent - - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-05-26 12:14
Depends on what the root problem is - if it's too much data, increasing the control rate could improve things. If it's about package losses, disabling UDP in the options could make a difference.
Parent - - By Caesar [de] Date 2013-05-26 15:37
Does our network switch to TCP if UDP isn't working fine?
Btw, what good is UDP doing? We ensure reliable in-order transmission anyway. Circumventing the flow control of TCP?
Parent - By Zapper [de] Date 2013-05-26 16:29
TCP does a lot more than giving your reliable transmissions and in-order-arrival. Mainly buffering and congestion control. TCP is optimized for throughput, not for speed.
Parent - By PeterW [gb] Date 2013-05-26 17:45
Originally, the idea was to support multicast - which is the only way to make the whole thing scale without a dedicated server. Sadly it was a bit too optimistic to think that providers would allow it.

These days, its benefit is mainly that there are some router configurations that UDP can get through but TCP can't. Also it's pretty nice to have two connections while data is transferring - it means that you can chat without delay while, say, the scenario is loading. As long as there's no packet loss, it is also slightly faster (as in: more responsive) reportedly.
Up Topic General / Help and Questions / Mutiplayer Problems